Thread: The best year(s) for the F800?

The best year(s) for the F800?

I'm in the planning stages for adding a F800GS to the stable. It appears that there were some subtle updates made in 2013. I'm less concerned about the looks, and more concerned about the reliability. Your input?
    1995 BMW K75s - 100k and climbing!
    2007 BMW R1200RT - 62k
    2009 BMW G650GS - 22k and ready for Alaska!

Thought someone would have chimed in by now.

Had three 800GS's 13's here recently, all owners happy with platform for most part.

Biggest common item is chain/sprocket maintenace, but that goes for any chain drive. One had rear bearing failure at 18K, another wanted sprockets and a chain at 13K...which compared to one of my bikes that seems to need one way sooner.
    I was surprised how tall these models are. As tall as my 12GSA, just skinnier. Didn't ride them long enough to form an opinion other that they look like capable fun bikes.
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and club tire changer

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    I don't know for years....mine is an '09 and has been good. THE Man is ROYBARNES, have a look-
    https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...-I-going-to-do
    He is on regular.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Somewhere in the 13–15 model years BMW changed the design of the stator. It reduced airflow and the stator overheated and failed. It happened on Annie’s 14 F800GS and was replaced under warranty with a redesigned stator that has worked for 30,000 miles. The problem seemed to develop early so I suspect most of the poorly designed statirs were replaced; but something that should be checked.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl's MT Outpost
    2017 R1200GSA & 2013 FJR

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    Somewhere in the 13–15 model years BMW changed the design of the stator. It reduced airflow and the stator overheated and failed. It happened on Annie’s 14 F800GS and was replaced under warranty with a redesigned stator that has worked for 30,000 miles. The problem seemed to develop early so I suspect most of the poorly designed statirs were replaced; but something that should be checked.
    That's interesting - the exact opposite of what I've been reading:

"A flywheel re-design was done in 2012 that vented the stator cavity.
    if this did not eliminate the problem entirely it sure made things a lot better at the least..."

The nice thing is that you should get some warning that the stator/voltage regulator is dying (assuming you have a volt meter installed), plus this looks much, much easier to fix than on previous bikes I've had. The Honda CX/GL series was also known to eat stators, which required you to drop the whole engine, which I can now do in about 20 minutes
    1995 BMW K75s - 100k and climbing!
    2007 BMW R1200RT - 62k
    2009 BMW G650GS - 22k and ready for Alaska!

The '07 and some '08 belt drive F800 bikes had an axle tube that was too soft. It would deform and become loose inside the inner race of the bearings. A redesigned axle tube was fitted to the later bikes.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

wanderer
    Quote Originally Posted by drneo66 View Post

if this did not eliminate the problem entirely it sure made things a lot better at the least..."

The nice thing is that you should get some warning that the stator/voltage regulator is dying (assuming you have a volt meter installed), plus this looks much, much easier to fix than on previous bikes I've had. The Honda CX/GL series was also known to eat stators, which required you to drop the whole engine, which I can now do in about 20 minutes
    That sounds about right. I had a 2010 which I replace the stator with an aftermarket one before failure in 2011 because I planned a trip to Alaska. When I took it out the windings were definitely toasted so the change proved correct. I had no stator problems after that and traded the bike at 50K miles. That same bike has a moisture ingestion problem with a poorly place tank vent tube. Fixed in the first 6 months under warrantee.

After market Stator cost about $130 and took about 2hrs to install.

I wish I had kept the bike ...for what I got on trade.
    Last edited by vtbob; 12-11-2018 at 01:12 PM. Reason: more info

I got no warning when mine failed on my F800GS, though I was aware of the potential so it was not a big surprise. BMW only sells the stator together with the updated rotor as a kit and they want a good bit of cash for it. There are some aftermarket stators available, but I opted for the BMW kit to deal with the root cause of the problem. I did a preemptive replacement on my wife's ST which by the appearance of her stator was a wise decision.

Other than that, my 09 GS has not had any problems aside from bent/broken stuff from hard use.
    Ed Miller, Calgary, AB
    2008 K1200GT, 2009 F800GS
    I can't wait to retire and have a fixed income. The one I have now is always broke.

I cannot explain the disparity, but can only relate my (Annie's) experience. Stator failed with no warning on her 2014; was replaced under warranty; tech that did the work said her's was of the sort that had reduced cooling and was replaced by an updated version. It was over $1000 with labor.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl's MT Outpost
    2017 R1200GSA & 2013 FJR