• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Replacement 6v SEALED battery for 1957 R60 ?

I bought one from Vech for my R69S. It's a little short so I painted a piece of plywood black to raise it up so the battery strap will work. It has spade terminals so I created a connector box to continue to use the ring terminals from the original wiring harness and then transition to the new wires which are spade terminals. Here's a picture of the box...the terminals are on the left side of the battery:

NewBatt1.jpg

Thanks Kurt,

I think I saw $74 ? (plus shipping) for a Sealed Battery from Benchmark and Yuasa Lead Acid with Vent for $54 and free shipping (Prime but Dry probably) from Amazon.
Should buy Sealed but cost right now dictates Vented. To bad as I’ve never taken care of Battery Maintenance like I should.
Maybe this time..............
And maybe should keep searching first.

Charlie

Charlie -

I'm a big fan of "vented" or slosh type batteries. I likely will always run one in my /7. But I had a 3-cell battery in my R69S that was forever causing issues with corrosion around the terminals. I never had any issues with damage to the surrounding frame, but the PITA to have to clean up the terminals was a real hassle. I tried everything in the book to keep it from happening. Often, if I waited too long due to laziness, the corrosion very nearly ate through the bolts so that it was difficult just to get a wrench on them. Towards the end, I opted for brass hardware thinking that the galvanic potential difference between lead and brass was a better match than lead and steel. Worked sort of, but still was an issue.

On my R25/2, the vibration level was such that water/acid was being pushed out of the vent holes in the caps...the battery didn't have a channel/tube to run the liquid out to the side or bottom. That resulted in liquid ending up on my frame and fender. I discussed it with Vech and he did not recommended sealed batteries for the singles because of the severe vibration environment...his experience was that the sealed batteries are not as robust internally and they fail more easily. I couldn't deal with it anymore, so I bought a small 6v 4.5amp hour battery from Batteries+. Been working OK so far.

I understand about the cost. But I'm beginning to enjoy the "freedom" from not having to deal with the corrosion anymore.

Back