Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 2003 K1200GT - What glue to repair tabs?

Similar problem but I don't have the pieces - can I manufacture bracket from PBT + PC

I have a similar problem in that two brackets on the inside of the upper fairing (one at top where it connects to the inner fairing, one on the other side where the upper fair connects to the frame).

Was considering fashioning a similar bracket from steel and attaching with 2-part epoxy, but wondering if it would be better or even possible with a plastic resin? If I fashion a block and then dremel it to shape?

Quote Originally Posted by myK1200rs View Post
    For all plastics on Car or Motorcycle made in Germany, the type of plastic it is made of, is identified in abbreviated text on the inside of each part. In the case of all K1200 and also Boxers of the same era (1996-2005), the inside fairing parts identification says "PBT + PC". Always look for the letters between > < (see attached photo).

It is not ABS. Plain ABS has poor low temperature characteristics.... it is too brittle when cold.

if you want to get a bit more technical with details to research the perfect fix, a quote about this from one expert on another "K series" forum:
    "PBT + PC alloy is a mixture of Polybutylene Terephthalate and Polycarbonate resins. "

"This stuff has excellent low temperature strength. It has nothing to do with ABS (Acrylonitrile-Butadiene-Styrene). It also cannot be glued using ABS glue, or heat-formed in the same way ABS can."

"Xenoy is a trademark for GE's line of PBT-ABS resins. Makroblend is Bayer's trademark for their SIMILAR family of PBT-PC and PET-PC resins. (PET is Polyethylene Terephthalate). PBT and PET have similar characteristics."

Attachment 71861

Pantana-The Lonesome Weir
    I've worked at a Plastics Fabricator for 36 years and own a 03'GT. I've had spills where the side cases looked like broken eggshells, and had the same and more broken tabs up at the front fairing parts. Best adhesive for this material is Methyl Methacrylate. Now made by several companies - Plexus, Locktite are a couple. True wonder adhesive for many kinds of plastics. It heats up when mixed, and bites into the materials. It even works on some of the "waxy" poly plastics.
    Pantana
    The Lonesome Weirdos

Looks like some healthy stuff, NOT

Methyl Methacrylate and your Nail Salon

NIOSH Pocket Guide to Chemical Hazards

But Grainger sells it in 500ml quantities for $36

Loctite H3000 also available by the single tube on Amazon LOCTITE AA H8300 Structural Adhesive - 50 ML Dual Cartridge - B/A - 83001 IDH:398426
    by Loctite
    Last edited by bigjohnsd; 05-28-2020 at 10:48 PM. Reason: added Loctite H3000 link
    The only dumb question is the unasked question - Anonymous

Eat every Ham Sandwich like it is your last Ham Sandwich! - Anonymous

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by johncolleton View Post
    I've worked at a Plastics Fabricator for 36 years and own a 03'GT. I've had spills where the side cases looked like broken eggshells, and had the same and more broken tabs up at the front fairing parts. Best adhesive for this material is Methyl Methacrylate. Now made by several companies - Plexus, Locktite are a couple. True wonder adhesive for many kinds of plastics. It heats up when mixed, and bites into the materials. It even works on some of the "waxy" poly plastics.
    Good to see you on Pantana
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Anybody have any idea how many Superfund Sites there are because of former plastics factories?
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Let's keep things on topic, please! The OP wanted help with choosing a glue.

Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post

OK, but the fact that the proper glue is highly hazardous might actually add some value to the conversations. Or not, depending on if I use it or you use it.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

You should get all the info you need on the product packaging regarding hazards.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post

Loctite H3000 for the win
    The only dumb question is the unasked question - Anonymous

Eat every Ham Sandwich like it is your last Ham Sandwich! - Anonymous

Here's a blurb I found about a product that may be of use to some of you.

Plast-aid
    https://www.plast-aid.com
    Plast-aid is a multipurpose repair plastic used for countless applications. Plast-aid chemically fuses to some plastics like PVC ABS & acrylic and mechanically bonds to rough surfaces like wood, concrete, brick. It has a unique curing process that lets you cast glue fill form & becomes a hard plastic in 15 minutes.
    Walter

"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under."
    H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by bigjohnsd View Post
    $85 on amazon !