Thread: Turning abs off on a 2012 1200GS

Turning abs off on a 2012 1200GS

Can someone give me the procedure to turn abs off on my bike?

I've tried the following:

Start bike, hit abs, no changes
    start bike, move till abs blinking light goes out, hit abs button, no change

The manual seems to suggest you can turn it off by just turning the key on.

Thanks, there's ether something wrong with the abs button/system or I'm not following some set procedure to turn it off when getting into the dirt roads.
    The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

I think it is; With the key in the off position press and hold the ABS button. Turn the key on and start the engine. Release the ABS switch. The ABS light should be blinking to show you it is off.
    John Simonds
    2017 R 1200 GS Adventure
    1975 Norton Commando 850 Roadster Mk 3
    If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

Quote Originally Posted by junkjohn View Post
    I think it is; With the key in the off position press and hold the ABS button. Turn the key on and start the engine. Release the ABS switch. The ABS light should be blinking to show you it is off.
    That didn't work, but thanks, it was worth a try

Turn the key on, brake failure light blinks. Hit the abs button for a few seconds, it stops blinking but doesn't give me that symbol to show abs is off. [ which the manual says I'll get a circle with brake shoes steady showing it's off.
    The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Ok I just found this. Bring motorcycle to a stop or, if the motorcycle is at a standstill, switch on the ignition, and hold the ABS button until ABS warning light changes status.- with Automatic Stability Control, initially the ASC symbol changes status. Press and hold down button until ABS warning light responds. Under these circumstances there is no change in the ASC setting. The ABS warning light comes on. Release the button within 2 seconds. The ABS warning light remains on. I found this in the Riders Manual. Good luck
    John Simonds
    2017 R 1200 GS Adventure
    1975 Norton Commando 850 Roadster Mk 3
    If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.