• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Front fairing removal R1100RT

flhfxd

Any tips on how to access the internal (by the headlight) mounting screws so I can remove the front fairing on my RT?
The PDF manual that I have indicates to remove the instrument cluster first, but then in another section, it say to remove the fairing so that you can remove the instrument cluster .....? In either case, I cannot seem to access the mounting bolts inside the fairing. Thx

May have figured out my error. Looks like the entire windscreen assembly has to be removed. Not just the screen itself. So that should allow access to the front screws.

It sure what screws you mean. You remove the windshield trim so you can lif the fairing off the windshield arms, but the headlight stays in the fairing the whole time. You unplug it and a few other things but the fairing is ultimately held on with four bolts.

It sure what screws you mean. You remove the windshield trim so you can lif the fairing off the windshield arms, but the headlight stays in the fairing the whole time. You unplug it and a few other things but the fairing is ultimately held on with four bolts.

Always the voice of reasonable reason Anton.

You still need 24" extensions with a 10mm flex socket and the hands of a little girl.

Windscreen was removed and instrument trim, then all (x 6) screws were removed from the fairing. But the fairing would definitely not release and appeared to be anchored at the headlight assembly. I’m currently away at work and won’t get back to this project for a few days but was thinking: is the headlight plug connection another mounting point / ie: does it provide any tension on the headlight mounting bracket and could this be the issue?
Thx for the tips. I’ve never torn one of these bikes apart before and I don’t want to break anything on a 20 year old bike.

There are two threaded alignment studs near the headlight but they are not supposed to have nuts on them. It’s really easy to look at them and think they should, though, so someone may have done so.

From memory, you get the dash off, windshield off, mirrors and side fairings off, radio antenna ground strap if present, and then you have four bolts (two at the mirrors, two where the side fairing tabs engage) and that is all. You pull the fairing (with headlight) forward and then unplug the headlight and parking bulb if you haven’t already.

I think that’s all for the 1100.

Thanks. Will take another look when I get home. Difficulties with this may be related to method PO used to install the Xenon headlight and power supply. Incidentally this is the original reason why I’m removing the fairing. Restoring the bike to stock as it had a lot of poorly executed electrical installations.

Last edited:
Successful.
Turns out there's a factory installed 90 degree tab, mounted on lower left side of frame, left of the inner headlight assembly, with a nylock nut to fix the fairing to the frame. Saw no mention of this in any of my resources. Couldn't see it because of the nest of wiring from the power pack for the xenon headlight.

Last edited:
Back