Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 186

Thread: What do young riders want?

  1. #1

    What do young riders want?

    We hear the US motorcycle industry is in trouble, and manufacturers are responding with new, more affordable bikes like the 310. It appears, however, that many 310 R/GS buyers already have larger BMWs and are simply downsizing, which isnít bringing any new, younger riders into the fold.

    Is this perception correct? It seems the younger riders I meet on the road are still interested in the smaller Japanese sport bikes. Maybe the TVS 310 Akula would be a better bike to import to the US?

    What are MOA members young relatives/neighbors/acquaintances actually buying these days as their first motorcycle? Dirt/street/sport/scooter? New/used? Comments?
    -Don't cry because it's over-
    -Smile because it happened-

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    St Lazare, Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    288
    This is a great topic and is sure to generate some interesting opinions.
    IMHO, one of the most probable theories is that kids today just donít have very much interest in two wheeled recreational transport. Thatís hard for some of us older gearheads to comprehend. Weíve grown up (some have grown up a little less perhaps...?) with an internal desire to ďescape the chainsĒ of everyday life and head out to parts unknown in search of adventure in the form of scenic vistas, challenging roads and the almighty quest for the greatest burger known to man etc..
    I see the decline of interest in motorcycles as a byproduct of a very different social environment. One in which young folks are far less interested in the same things we are. Thereís always exceptions to trends but
    my opinion is the decline is inevitable. Including a top heavy demographic of population.
    Smart bike makers will focus on smaller E bikes.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by flhfxd View Post
    I see the decline of interest in motorcycles as a byproduct of a very different social environment. One in which young folks are far less interested in the same things we are. Thereís always exceptions to trends but my opinion is the decline is inevitable..
    The changing social environment is an interesting consideration.

    Growing up in a small town, I graduated from a bicycle to a small motorcycle at 14, as did some of my peers. It seemed a natural progression, as traffic was not a major concern and the small bikes extended our range for practical use and exploration.

    Reflecting on this, modern young city dwellers are at a real disadvantage due to traffic if nothing else. While an affordable 50cc bike might still be usable in a small town, it would be marginal or even dangerous in big city traffic and not really much fun.

    I wonder how many of us lifelong motorcyclists started on small bikes in small towns, and how many started young in a big city?
    -Don't cry because it's over-
    -Smile because it happened-

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    St Lazare, Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    288
    I have a big brother. As a kid you look up to your older siblings. He had a 1971 BSA Lightning and all his buddies had motorcycles. Then my cousins all had motorcycles. And so it began. A relatively small town in Newfoundland. As a kid I would drool and dream yhat one day....! Iíve had a 2 wheel addiction ever since! We never had nearly the distractions that kids have today.

  5. #5
    Registered User powwow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Bend, OR
    Posts
    356
    Quote Originally Posted by OldCamper View Post
    The changing social environment is an interesting consideration.

    Growing up in a small town, I graduated from a bicycle to a small motorcycle at 14, as did some of my peers. It seemed a natural progression, as traffic was not a major concern and the small bikes extended our range for practical use and exploration.

    Reflecting on this, modern young city dwellers are at a real disadvantage due to traffic if nothing else. While an affordable 50cc bike might still be usable in a small town, it would be marginal or even dangerous in big city traffic and not really much fun.

    I wonder how many of us lifelong motorcyclists started on small bikes in small towns, and how many started young in a big city?
    To your point, I grew up on a farm in central Illinois and started my 55 years of riding on a minibike at around 10 years old. We could ride the dirt roads on the farm or even the local blacktop and never have any worries about traffic, police officers or crazy a$$hats (well, there might have been a few crazy a$$hats, but we knew who they were and avoided them). Anything with a motor was viewed as freedom to go where I wanted and when I wanted. With my dad's full shop on the farm, I was tearing apart small motors at the same time I started riding and that interest has continued all my life.
    Larry Gregerson; Bend, OR
    MOA #93031

  6. #6
    Rally Rat
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    2,254
    There are a dozen or more manufactures trying to figure that out as we type. And Gee, you'd think they'd have the best guess, but yet to trip over that answer. Apparently those manufactures have one theory that its urban electric two wheel machines. And not $20k plus models.
    Last edited by Motodan; 12-23-2018 at 01:16 AM.

  7. #7
    SURVIVOR akbeemer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Silver City, Montana
    Posts
    7,254
    What do young riders want?

    Other young riders.
    Kevin
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana
    Team Pterodactyl
    2018 Ural Gear Up, 2017 R1200GSA

  8. #8
    Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mansfield,MA
    Posts
    13,761
    Around here, young riders need a place to ride.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Central Illinois
    Posts
    2,138

    Young Riders

    Must be fun and must be affordable. I think the fun part is easy to take care affordable very different problem, when I was younger if you got caught riding illegally the usual punishment was you had to push the bike home after a verbal warning, if you were really bad they would talk to your parents. Now itís give the kid lots of tickets impound the bike or impound and destroy the bike if unlicensed. Repairs, when a shop charges $100+ per hour repairs are soon out of the question. People used to have one phone in the house that cost around $10 to $20 a month,now $100 to $200 per month for every family members phone and internet. Tv used to be, buy tv which were not cheap but after the antenna was up the shows were free now another $100 per month for cable or satellite tv.
    You see articles about things the millennials have killed or driven out of the market not because they donít want them but because they canít afford them
    Last self driving cars will probably end motorcycle riding on public roads.

  10. #10
    Also, don't forget the baby boomer generation wave has gone by. There are just not as many young folks as there once was.

  11. #11
    They want the best their parents can buy, no responsibility for anything, and they want it right now...because they deserve it.
    Gail Thorne
    2017 F700GS

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Lansing, Kansas
    Posts
    636
    I don't know any young riders. And that says a lot. The future of two-wheel transport in our world will likely be some kind of autonomous vehicle that is ultra-cheap to operate and likely a throw-away (consumable) machine. None of us (geezers on this forum) will like it.

    I don't believe young folks are very interested in cars today either. All my grandkids, and all their friends, want in a car is a cheap platform into which they can plug some sort of entertainment device, and then have the platform move them from point A to point B while they interact with the entertainment device. And before you speculate, they are all college students with top grades, well-adjusted socially with lots of good friends, and on the road to becoming well-adjusted productive adults in the near future with far better jobs than I ever had. My BS in psychology and MBA does not hold a candle to what they are currently studying and doing.

    Life today is about interactivity. Young folks don't seem to watch TV--they interact with a video device of some kind. They don't read books--they interact with a video/audio device of some kind. Their whole world seems to be about interactivity. And not the sort of interactivity that involves an internal combustion engine and a pair of handlebars.

    I know I am likely the last generation in my family to ever straddle a motorcycle. I am sad when I think too much about it.
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST

  13. #13
    Rally Rat
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Sheboygan, WI
    Posts
    5,320

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by shortythorne View Post
    They want the best their parents can buy, no responsibility for anything, and they want it right now...because they deserve it.
    Well put!!

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    What do young riders want?

    Other young riders.


    Go to any amateur motocross or cross-country event and you will see young people in droves. They all hang out in social media... mostly not FB.

    Go to any university town and there are young people on scooters all over the place. But the scooters are simply cheap transport for them... somehow the fun of riding isn't getting through.

    But go to most any moto social event and it's a sea of gray hair. And most of them are on FB.

    The hard part seems to be getting the dirt and college kids to make the transition.



    Although I do hear that MSF courses are full of younger riders on smaller bikes... and most are purchased used/inexpensive.

    And then there is the Grom!

    Ian

    Last edited by Visian; 12-23-2018 at 04:16 PM.
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________
    '67 Trail 90 || '86 R80 G/SPD+ || '97 F650ST || '00 1150 GS || '07 Xchallenge || '13 CB500X || '14 Grom

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by shortythorne View Post
    They want the best their parents can buy, no responsibility for anything, and they want it right now...because they deserve it.
    Quote Originally Posted by greenwald View Post
    Well put!!
    Got offa my lawn!!!


    I can assure you that this mentality drives people away from the MOA faster than just about anything you can imagine.

Similar Threads

  1. MOA membership stabilization, young riders
    By 8ninety8 in forum Campfire
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 05-02-2018, 01:06 PM
  2. What would you give to be young again ??
    By Ridealot in forum Campfire
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 03-10-2008, 10:51 PM
  3. 38 Today Is That Young for the MOA?
    By SGTBORING in forum Campfire
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 07-29-2007, 06:22 PM
  4. RTW by an young Itialian
    By OUTBACKUFO in forum Ride Reports
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-23-2007, 07:49 AM
  5. Young Riders
    By moa84843 in forum Rally Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-10-2006, 11:56 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •