• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

99 R1100RS intermittent right turn signal switch problem

gagnello

Hello,
Been running into a problem where when I first start up the bike and ride off, the right turn signal does not turn on when I depress the turn signal switch. This has happened when it's been very cold or damp out. It comes to life after pressing the switch numerous times and then works properly. Is there a contact that can be cleaned within the housing before I set out to buy a replacement?
Thank You
Greg from NJ.

Yes. One screw holds the switch to the bar. Once off, you should be able to see how the switch assembly makes contact at the side of the switch. You could try contact cleaner, but with my RT I had to apply a little pressure to the rocker to push the whole mechanism a drop closer to the contacts. Been working great for at least a year now. When you pull the switch off the bar it will be obvious.

Added later... my previous experience was with the left side switch, not the right. But, removing it and spraying contact cleaner should be similar.

Last edited:
Yes. One screw holds the switch to the bar. Once off, you should be able to see how the switch assembly makes contact at the side of the switch. You could try contact cleaner, but with my RT I had to apply a little pressure to the rocker to push the whole mechanism a drop closer to the contacts. Been working great for at least a year now. When you pull the switch off the bar it will be obvious.

Added later... my previous experience was with the left side switch, not the right. But, removing it and spraying contact cleaner should be similar.

About a week ago, I took the housing off. Learned a few things along the way including the mirror bolt need to be turned clockwise to remove mirror. It also appears that you can remove all the little different sized screws inside the switch to disassemble the entire switch but this would have to be done on a sturdy table with great lighting and a fixed magnifying glass if you have sight issues like I do.
The inside of the housing where the turn signal switch is located was filled with a dirt like residue I guess due to age. I sprayed the smallest amount of CRC contact cleaner while thumbing the switch back and forth and it operates much smoother now. Will see how long it holds out.
TY

Back