• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Firstgear Pants Comparison

pappy35

I'm looking for pants to complete my gear-up. Ideally it'd fit over my office khakis, is completely waterproof, easy to get into and out of without removing shoes/boots, and is warm enough to ride for an hour down into the high 30's to low 40's.

Does anyone here know the differences between the Kathmandu vs. Kilimanjaro pants line?

You're describing the TourMaster Quest pants ($100) that both I and my SO wear regularly (including in rain) and truly enjoy.

But since they didn't make your rather short list, never mind. :dunno

Pants

First 2 requirements Aerostich Darien or A D 1 pants can’t be beat. With light baselayer, regular pants and Darien pants should be plenty warm also pants are sized so you buy what you normally wear.
I purchased a Kathmandu jacket and pants tried them on wore around house and thought both pants and jacket to heavy and just not right for me, so returned them.
I purchased 2 pair of Dariens on line very happy with. Check marketplace on Forum often Darien’s listed.
Consider one of the roadcrafters also, waterproof and easy to get on and off and again fit over work clothes.

Read Kevin’s post, went to RevZilla read description pants look similar to Darien’s have good reviews and are on sale $92
RevZilla good place for reviews and descriptions of motorcycle gear, compare your 2 choices there.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions fellas but I neglected to mention that sizing was an issue for me (just call me "short-round" :laugh). I skipped the Tourmaster, despite being a huge fan, because they don't offer 'short' cuts and for my 38" waist I'd have to get get pants that would be 3-4 inches too long. Even with the given that length needs to be a bit long, that would be unworkable. The Darien's are very appealing (I've always liked Aerostitch) but I'd have to pay extra to have them shortened.

EDIT: I just noticed that TM does have short lengths for some lines.

Last edited:
Olympia

Have you looked at Olympia pants? I have a set of the Air Glide 3 pants (Now 4) over pants. They come with a bottom that can be tailored to your inseam (up to 6"). The rain liner can be worn on the inside or outside of the pants. I wear it on the outside most of the time which also gives you another layer of protection from the cold.

Have you looked at Olympia pants? I have a set of the Air Glide 3 pants (Now 4) over pants. They come with a bottom that can be tailored to your inseam (up to 6"). The rain liner can be worn on the inside or outside of the pants. I wear it on the outside most of the time which also gives you another layer of protection from the cold.

Good stuff. I have two different styles of Olympia pants, but admit the tailoring adds about $35 to the cost of the garment. However, might solve the inseam issue.

I found the TourMaster a nice addition to my wardrobe menu when I don't want that much bulk over my casual or dress pants, but still want the wind cut and waterproof. They're also stylish enough that they don't get stripped off on lunch breaks when touring. :thumb

Last edited:
Well, I got one each of the Kilimanjaro and Kathmandu and neither one fit. They were both too long and the knee pad was so far out of whack I could not place it over my knee. Anyway so now I'm thinking I should go with an Aerostitch Darien or AD1. They are more expensive but they can 'hem' them by removing material from above and below the knee.

Anyone out there with a short/round body type have Aerostitch gear care to chime in on how they fit?

Pants

Might get in trouble but but could there be some short round sized ladies pants? Riding stuff mostly gender neutral I think.

Aerostitch has a sale going on now and had a pair of AD1's that had been modded by the removal of 1.5" above the knees. Same price as the Firstgear pants I've tried with the sale so I've then on the way. If these don't work then I guess it'll be full custom order time.

if you have not looked into them, i have tourmaster flex pants. fit all your performance needs and come in short sizes.

FYI: Aerostitch has an R-3 in 50S for a little over $700 including their extra 10% (total of 40% off retail) but when I called them they seemed to believe it would be too long in the torso for me.

They explained also that they don't do tailoring to any of their suits, jackets, or pants after they are manufactured due to issues they have resealing them. I was a little surprised by this but she said something about how it's very labor-intensive to separate the seams, resew, then reseal them. As much as labor must cost them I understand why they would not want to disrupt their production to do a bunch of one-off tailoring jobs. She did say though that if I could find a tailor that knows how to work with this kind of fabric that they would "supply all the materials" and I think that's awesome. She further explained that they would not cover customer-performed alterations but that they would not refuse a warranty claim on a different part of the piece like some manufacturers try to get away with.

The AD-1's I bought are 42R with 1.5" removed above the knee. I fear they might be too big around the waist and still too long but I scored them for $307 brand new (would have been almost $500 if I'd had them tailor a new pair for me which is less than the Motorports would end up costing). If they don't fit I can return them and then will have a much better idea what size I'll need to special-order.

Last edited:
if you have not looked into them, i have tourmaster flex pants. fit all your performance needs and come in short sizes.

I don't think they make that particular model anymore. Different manufacturer I know but the two FirstGear pants I tried (Kathmandu in 38S and Kilimanjaro in 42S) were both 3-4 inches too long. I KNOW my inseam is 29" so I don't know what the dealio is. My local Cycle Gear had a few 'short' length pants in stock and they were too long as well. I've more or less given up on finding off the shelf gear so I've going to try and see if Aerostitch will work.

Cold weather is fine, pair of micro fiber long skivies works fine
Rain starts I pull on a pair of frog togs

Jim

I will second this for dry and relatively warm weather.

The minute it rains, or gets cold, forget it. I hate the liner.

I agree. I've never liked the idea of a rain liner inside the garment. The material itself has to be waterproof and this was an immediate disqualifier as I was shopping.

I was in my 10-year-old Tourmaster Transition 2 jacket this past spring and got caught in a deluge. From the waist down I looked like I waded into a swimming pool but was bone dry anywhere the jacket covered. That's what I'm looking for in a pair of pants (in addition to its protective properties).

Can't say enough good things about Aerostich products. For all the $$ we've spent on First Gear, Fieldsheer & Joe Rocket stuff, I could have paid for the Roadcrafters the spouse and I bought 11 years ago. All the other gear has either failed (mostly broken zippers), didn't fit right, or just didn't work as expected. It has all been left behind after riding trips to SE Asia.

They explained also that they don't do tailoring to any of their suits, jackets, or pants after they are manufactured due to issues they have resealing them. I was a little surprised by this but she said something about how it's very labor-intensive to separate the seams, resew, then reseal them.

It is a PITA. I recently re-did the legs on my Roadcrafter. They were starting to get a bit...ummm....snug. Added enough matching Cordura to make them loose enough to wear thick thermals and heated gear during the colder months. Undoing the stitching, sewing in new strip, and then having to add on the waterproofing tape, reheming, etc. I did shorten up the legs and arms on my spouses old Olympia one piece suit a number of years ago. Took about 10 hours of work, but he has a 27" inseam, and nothing fit him. If I had to do this for someone else, it would not be a cheap alteration.

Back