Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Firstgear Pants Comparison

Quote Originally Posted by t6pilot View Post
    For some extra $$ try Motoport custom fitted pants, you wonted be disappointed
    I will second this for dry and relatively warm weather.

The minute it rains, or gets cold, forget it. I hate the liner.
    John.

Cold weather is fine, pair of micro fiber long skivies works fine
    Rain starts I pull on a pair of frog togs

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jstrube View Post
    I will second this for dry and relatively warm weather.

The minute it rains, or gets cold, forget it. I hate the liner.
    I agree. I've never liked the idea of a rain liner inside the garment. The material itself has to be waterproof and this was an immediate disqualifier as I was shopping.

I was in my 10-year-old Tourmaster Transition 2 jacket this past spring and got caught in a deluge. From the waist down I looked like I waded into a swimming pool but was bone dry anywhere the jacket covered. That's what I'm looking for in a pair of pants (in addition to its protective properties).
    '13 R1200RT 90th Anniversary Edition

Can't say enough good things about Aerostich products. For all the $$ we've spent on First Gear, Fieldsheer & Joe Rocket stuff, I could have paid for the Roadcrafters the spouse and I bought 11 years ago. All the other gear has either failed (mostly broken zippers), didn't fit right, or just didn't work as expected. It has all been left behind after riding trips to SE Asia.
    Too damn many bikes to list

Quote Originally Posted by pappy35 View Post

They explained also that they don't do tailoring to any of their suits, jackets, or pants after they are manufactured due to issues they have resealing them. I was a little surprised by this but she said something about how it's very labor-intensive to separate the seams, resew, then reseal them.
    It is a PITA. I recently re-did the legs on my Roadcrafter. They were starting to get a bit...ummm....snug. Added enough matching Cordura to make them loose enough to wear thick thermals and heated gear during the colder months. Undoing the stitching, sewing in new strip, and then having to add on the waterproofing tape, reheming, etc. I did shorten up the legs and arms on my spouses old Olympia one piece suit a number of years ago. Took about 10 hours of work, but he has a 27" inseam, and nothing fit him. If I had to do this for someone else, it would not be a cheap alteration.
    Too damn many bikes to list

Quote Originally Posted by flymymbz View Post
    It is a PITA. I recently re-did the legs on my Roadcrafter. They were starting to get a bit...ummm....snug. Added enough matching Cordura to make them loose enough to wear thick thermals and heated gear during the colder months. Undoing the stitching, sewing in new strip, and then having to add on the waterproofing tape, reheming, etc. I did shorten up the legs and arms on my spouses old Olympia one piece suit a number of years ago. Took about 10 hours of work, but he has a 27" inseam, and nothing fit him. If I had to do this for someone else, it would not be a cheap alteration.
    Wow. At least you know how to do it. Those skills are not easily acquired. I'm getting these pants very inexpensively for what they are so I really hope they fit. If not then I'm just going to have to pony-up and buy a custom-made one.

I just realized I hadn't updated this post in a while. I ended up getting a pair of custom-sized AD1's. They fit perfectly. I really can't say enough nice things about Aerostich (Stephanie V!)!

The process was like this:
    I exchanged the first pair I bought for a pair of unaltered AD1's in 44R. They came in and I put them on and took a bunch of measurements and pictures, both on the bike and off. I sent these to them and they determined that -5" above the knees (apparently I have freakishly short thigh bones or something like that...haha) in a 42" waist. Took three weeks to produce and I got them two days ago. Perfect fit!

In the OP I mentioned my requirement that they be good for and hour or so in high 30"s to low 40's. Fortunately, mother nature abilged and I ran around for about 90 minutes yesterday in 41F weather. Toasty.

So, in summary, Aerostich is an awesome company to work with and, as an added bonus, my money helped an American tailor feed their kids or pay for collage.