Thread: Firstgear Pants Comparison

Firstgear Pants Comparison

I'm looking for pants to complete my gear-up. Ideally it'd fit over my office khakis, is completely waterproof, easy to get into and out of without removing shoes/boots, and is warm enough to ride for an hour down into the high 30's to low 40's.

Does anyone here know the differences between the Kathmandu vs. Kilimanjaro pants line?
    '13 R1200RT 90th Anniversary Edition

Thumbs up

You're describing the TourMaster Quest pants ($100) that both I and my SO wear regularly (including in rain) and truly enjoy.

But since they didn't make your rather short list, never mind.
    Kevin Greenwald - MSF Lead RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    Motorcycle/High Performance/Teen/Winter/ATV Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Track

Pants

First 2 requirements Aerostich Darien or A D 1 pants can’t be beat. With light baselayer, regular pants and Darien pants should be plenty warm also pants are sized so you buy what you normally wear.
    I purchased a Kathmandu jacket and pants tried them on wore around house and thought both pants and jacket to heavy and just not right for me, so returned them.
    I purchased 2 pair of Dariens on line very happy with. Check marketplace on Forum often Darien’s listed.
    Consider one of the roadcrafters also, waterproof and easy to get on and off and again fit over work clothes.

Read Kevin’s post, went to RevZilla read description pants look similar to Darien’s have good reviews and are on sale $92
    RevZilla good place for reviews and descriptions of motorcycle gear, compare your 2 choices there.
    Last edited by 179212; 12-03-2018 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Cold outside, bored inside

Thanks for the suggestions fellas but I neglected to mention that sizing was an issue for me (just call me "short-round" ). I skipped the Tourmaster, despite being a huge fan, because they don't offer 'short' cuts and for my 38" waist I'd have to get get pants that would be 3-4 inches too long. Even with the given that length needs to be a bit long, that would be unworkable. The Darien's are very appealing (I've always liked Aerostitch) but I'd have to pay extra to have them shortened.

EDIT: I just noticed that TM does have short lengths for some lines.
    Last edited by pappy35; 12-03-2018 at 04:22 PM.
    '13 R1200RT 90th Anniversary Edition

Olympia

Have you looked at Olympia pants? I have a set of the Air Glide 3 pants (Now 4) over pants. They come with a bottom that can be tailored to your inseam (up to 6"). The rain liner can be worn on the inside or outside of the pants. I wear it on the outside most of the time which also gives you another layer of protection from the cold.
    Never get to busy making a living that you forget to make a life.

2018 R1200 RT- 10K miles and counting

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by lstayner View Post
    Have you looked at Olympia pants? I have a set of the Air Glide 3 pants (Now 4) over pants. They come with a bottom that can be tailored to your inseam (up to 6"). The rain liner can be worn on the inside or outside of the pants. I wear it on the outside most of the time which also gives you another layer of protection from the cold.
    Good stuff. I have two different styles of Olympia pants, but admit the tailoring adds about $35 to the cost of the garment. However, might solve the inseam issue.

I found the TourMaster a nice addition to my wardrobe menu when I don't want that much bulk over my casual or dress pants, but still want the wind cut and waterproof. They're also stylish enough that they don't get stripped off on lunch breaks when touring.
    Last edited by greenwald; 12-04-2018 at 01:54 PM.
    Kevin Greenwald - MSF Lead RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    Motorcycle/High Performance/Teen/Winter/ATV Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Track