• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

MOA Getaway - Jay, Vermont -- September 20-22, 2019

I'm looking forward to the Getaway and the New England countryside.

I'll be coming into Vermont either on the Ticonderoga-Larrabees Ferry or over the Lake Champlain Bridge from Crown Point. Do any of you more local riders have any suggestions for 'must do' roads, or road construction and tourist bottlenecks to avoid, as I make my way to Jay Resort?

See you all soon, and thanks.
Henry

I'm looking forward to the Getaway and the New England countryside.

I'll be coming into Vermont either on the Ticonderoga-Larrabees Ferry or over the Lake Champlain Bridge from Crown Point. Do any of you more local riders have any suggestions for 'must do' roads, or road construction and tourist bottlenecks to avoid, as I make my way to Jay Resort?

See you all soon, and thanks.
Henry

Take the ferry. From the Vermont side in the town of Shoreham take Hwy 74 northeast to Middlebury. Pick up Hwy 125 and run the very scenic Middlebury Gap east to Rte 100. At 100 turn left and head north through the narrow and twisty Granville Gulf, one of the nicer stretches of that scenic highway. Just shy of Waitsfield turn left onto Hwy 17 and ride over the scenic and technical Appalachian Gap to the delightful little town of Bristol. From there north on backroads to the town of Richmond. Continue straight through Richmond and follow Browns Trace Road to Hwy 15. Follow 15 north to the roundabout in Jeffersonville. Left on Hwy 108, and shortly thereafter right onto Hwy 109. Follow 109 to 118. North on 118 to the town of Montgomery Center, then right on 242 which will take up up Jay Peak to the resort on the left a few miles past the summit.

That's a fun route that bypasses the worst of the tourist pressure. At Jeffersonville you can take a right on 108 (instead of a left) to go over Smuggler's Notch to Stowe, but IMO that's a lot like the Tail of the Dragon - best done early in the morning midweek. With fall foliage approaching the better known tourist traps can be nightmarish.

Pete and Glenlivet

Ferry2Jay.png

Thanks for this.
I was going to do Middlebury Gap and Rt 100 north through Stowe on the way in and Appalachian Gap on the way home, but this looks better. I'm happy to avoid the tourists even though, technically, I am one ;-)

We're getting a bit of fall color already, much earlier than in typical years. It probably won't be peak foliage for the getaway, but promises to be much prettier than the last two years.

Back