• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

MOA Getaway - Copper Mountain, Colorado -- August 23-25, 2019

Matt Parkhouse will be joining us Friday night for a podcast discussion at this Getaway. Hope to see you all there - looking forward to it! Been a long time since I got to go to Colorado for more than a layover.

Wanda and I have our reservations and our routes planned out!

There are so many possible routes through Colorado it was tough making a decision.

We'll ride up to Copper Mountain via Hwy 141 from Cortez, CO.

Our return will take us down to Telluride and to Cortez, CO again.

Both routes offer lots of "sight seeing".

Looking forward to the ride and meeting everyone at the Copper Mountain Lodge.

Lee,

Toasty???

More like damn hot.

Wanda and I rode up 141 years ago on our '88 K100RS ABS SE on the way to Paonia, CO. That was in mid July.

Hopefully it will be a bit cooler in late August.

I believe it was Clement Salvadori who put 141 in the top 10 roads in the US.

Lee,

Toasty???

More like damn hot.

Wanda and I rode up 141 years ago on our '88 K100RS ABS SE on the way to Paonia, CO. That was in mid July.

Look inward, at the bike. An '88 K100RS would be hot in Minnesota in April. :)

Look inward, at the bike. An '88 K100RS would be hot in Minnesota in April. :)

Paul,

Years back when I wore jeans or other "cloth" pants, the K100RS ABS SE would just about lite my thighs on fire.

For me, the cure was lined, leather motorcycle pants. The leather and the lining pretty much kept the flames off me.

We both still wear lined, leather motorcycle pants.

Works for us...

Hi everyone. I’m a new member with a new bike (F750GS)
I’m considering attending this event, but really don’t know what to expect. (My only hesitation is that I return from a business trip that same day and it might be tight getting there on Friday)

I live just over an hour south of Copper Mountain, so my ride would be easy.

So I assume there are one or more rides on Saturday, and perhaps Sunday. Are these planned in advance? Any insight on this?
How long do folks typically ride each day at events like this?

I am pretty familiar with Copper Mountain. There are probably a dozen different accommodations within Copper. Units are individually owned and maintained, so even units with identical layouts can vary greatly in how nice they are. Copper reservations handles many of these units but others are rented by the owners on sites like VRBO, but the add on fees typically double the advertised daily rate. You might also want to check out parking for the different places. Many have covered parking but some may not.

Any info you can give me on this event, beyond what’s described on the trip description, would be appreciated. It sounds like fun and I’d love to meet fellow members.

Here's the thread from last year: https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthrea...ay-Copper-Mountain-Colorado-August-24-26-2018 It should answer some of your questions, sea2summit.

It seems you need to do this by phone for the best results.

I'm hoping to ride up if I can free up my schedule. Anyone from Colorado Springs want to join up somewhere for the ride to Copper? I want to get there by mid afternoon on Friday. Or maybe I'll just see some of you on the road.

Tom

I may be able to meet you on your route. PM me for details if you end up going.

Lodging for this event

I just got off the phone with Copper and here's some info that may be helpful to anyone who has not booked.
They have at least two categories of lodging, Silver (5 different buildings in Center Village), and Gold (4 buildings closer to the core). The group rate only was available for Silver. You don't get to know what building you're in until you check in. One of the silver buildings does not have covered parking.

I ended up booking NOT using the group rate and opted for a Gold category room. The price difference was only $76 more (total) for both nights. Because I'm not using the group rate, I can also cancel within 48 hours and get all but $30 back. OK, that's probably more that anyone wanted to know. I'm excited because this will be my first MOA event.

I live fairly close so if anyone has a question about the surrounding area I'll be happy to give it my best.

Skiing at Copper Mountain

For mature audiences:

Kevin Nealon & Conan O’Brien talk about skiing. (1 minute 17 secs)

If you are not familiar with skiing, trails at ski areas are marked with colored signs that indicate the level of difficulty.

GREEN Circles - indicates "Beginners" trails; BLUE Squares - indicates “Intermediate” trails; and BLACK Diamonds - indicates "Expert” trails.

With that in mind, watch this one minute video: https://youtu.be/xWbiE-lMYoU

Our Ride out to Copper Mountain, Colorado for the MOA Getaway - 23 & 24 Aug 2019

Attachments

• 150 dpi Copper Mountain Colorado BMW MOA Getaway Pg 1.jpg
    150 dpi Copper Mountain Colorado BMW MOA Getaway Pg 1.jpg
    366.9 KB · Views: 57
  • 150 dpi Copper Mountain Colorado BMW MOA Getaway Pg 2.jpg
    150 dpi Copper Mountain Colorado BMW MOA Getaway Pg 2.jpg
    352.6 KB · Views: 57
  • 150 dpi Copper Mountain Colorado BMW MOA Getaway Pg 3.jpg
    150 dpi Copper Mountain Colorado BMW MOA Getaway Pg 3.jpg
    396.3 KB · Views: 57
  • 150 dpi Copper Mountain Colorado BMW MOA Getaway Pg 4.jpg
    150 dpi Copper Mountain Colorado BMW MOA Getaway Pg 4.jpg
    339.8 KB · Views: 56
  • 150 dpi Copper Mountain Colorado BMW MOA Getaway Pg 5.jpg
    150 dpi Copper Mountain Colorado BMW MOA Getaway Pg 5.jpg
    314.6 KB · Views: 58
  • 150 dpi Copper Mountain Colorado BMW MOA Getaway Pg 6.jpg
    150 dpi Copper Mountain Colorado BMW MOA Getaway Pg 6.jpg
    302.6 KB · Views: 57
Thanks for the report and great pictures :thumb

Thanks for the thanks!

Wanda took the vast majority of the pictures, a bit more than 100 a day.

It takes some time, and cropping, to pick out only a few considering there were 801 in total.

It makes for a great slide show when we get home.

We have plans to attend the Cedar City Getaway 27-28 Sep.

We'll see how many pictures Wanda can take over those 7 days ;)

Back