• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

MOA Getaway - Fontana, North Carolina -- April 26-28, 2019

Room sharing opportunity

I just registered for Getaway Fontana and the availability at Fontana Village is getting pretty tight. I was able to reserve a "Hemlock" two-bedroom cabin for Friday and Saturday nights. The cabin will sleep four (1 queen and two twin beds) which is more than I need.

If you want to attend the Getaway and need lodging, ping me with a private message and we can work something out.

Ghost

My First Getaway

I looked at the thread for this getaway last year and there were all kinds of posts from people meeting up, buying beers, looking to make new friends, etc. This year, not so much! I hope to find the same camaraderie as what I read about from last year -- look for an old man (I just turned 80) from Florida. The license plate bracket reads: Cycle Works, Barrington, Illinois; that's where I bought my '17 R1200RT.

C U there!

Been looking forward to this Getaway, ever since my father-in-law moved in!

Can't fargin wait...

Cheers, P&K (w/o Pops)!
:beer

Rides around the area

If you're looking for riding options other than the Dragon, here are a couple of destinations for your consideration.

Mountain Waters Scenic Byway. 61 mile drive winding through the Nantahala National Forest. Lots of windy roads that go by numerous waterfalls. My crew will be rolling on the Byway Saturday of the Weekend.

Wheels Through Time Museum in Maggie Valley. Most all US built motorcycles, but everyone of them run! The tour guides will start different ones throughout the day.

Hopefully, others will post up their recommendations for rides around this scenic location.

DC

Camping at the Fontana Rally

Are there many campers at this rally?. It appears the campground is a mile or so from the resort which may be an inconvenience?

I initially planned to camp, but decided that on-site lodgings (cabin) would be rather convenient if things went late and adult beverages flowed freely.

Ghost

Are there many campers at this rally?. It appears the campground is a mile or so from the resort which may be an inconvenience?

Most of the folks tend to stay at the lodge. The activities of the weekend (other than riding the roads) all happen there. The campground is some distance away on the river below the Fontana Dam.

I initially planned to camp, but decided that on-site lodgings (cabin) would be rather convenient if things went late and adult beverages flowed freely.

Ghost

Yep, kind of what I thought with the c/g being away from the activities. Thanks .

Saturday Dinner

Hi everybody,

Does anyone know what time (approx.) dinner is on Saturday? Working on some routes and just trying to gauge time/distance.

Thanks,

Bill

Last weekend, looked as though nice riding conditions were present throughout the region.

Curious how the event itself fared, with no comments from three weeks before and zero since.

My suspicion is, because of no accolades a possible new event name: The "fontana got-taken".

Also thinking year 6 at the same location, in April weather that's always challenging... as a tough sell.

"travel'n" John

Last weekend, looked as though nice riding conditions were present throughout the region.

Curious how the event itself fared, with no comments from three weeks before and zero since.

My suspicion is, because of no accolades a possible new event name: The "fontana got-taken".

Probably not, it’s a very nice place and you could ride there for years and never take the same road twice.

The weather at this time of year is definitely variable...

U Missed a Gr8 Event!

Also thinking year 6 at the same location, in April weather that's always challenging... as a tough sell.

"travel'n" John

Kudo's to all MOA Getaway Organizers for this year's MOA Fontana Getaway!!!

Weather at the Resort was magnificent {we heard some folks got wet riding from KY on Thurs or perhaps later, departing towards the NE}, but while there, All Was Splendid!

It was Year #2 for us, and we'd do it again if it returns next year!

Vance & Mari, and many other MOA Directors were there to speak and to kibitz with their minions. Bill Wiegand, our Managing Editor, brought sellers' wares for anyone to "Borrow & Road Test." Karen was happy to give an F800 saddle from 'Seat Concepts' a shakedown cruise! Her verdict: this seat's materials suited her certified "Iron Butt" very well, but she would've preferred less of a ridge under her thighs when sitting in the seat bucket. She said it needed a little more "sculpting" to suit her tush & her inseam... :brow

My meager complaint is, their pool was empty (again). Must be too early in their season, but temps each afternoon were certainly ~79F -- very warm when you have your ATGATT on. And the place calls itself "A Family Resort..." It would be even better if there was a large hot tub to relax in, but maybe some other place, some other time...

A few pix for youz non-attendees:

Our section of rooms: below the Lodge, but above the large Banquet facility & Bar.
Cabana-rooms-KGT.jpeg

K on a sweeper on our chosen Ride loop: 'Thunder Road.' About 115 miles out & back w/beaucoup sweepers!
K-Left-sweeper.jpeg

Karen rides past a modest waterfall in the hillside, w/my K-GT parked for a Photo-Op.
K-P-waterfall.jpeg

So don't just sit on the sidelines - Come Out and Enjoy the many Opportunities to Ride & Mingle! Again this year, we made a brief pit stop at the Scottish Tartans Museum and The Lazy Hiker Brewing Company in Franklin, NC -- always a good stop-over, smallish township!

CHEERS! P&K
Square-brewery.jpeg

Last edited:
Back