• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Helmet certification for Europe

wwalton

Planning a first trip to Europe in May and tonight noticed that my Arai Signet Q lacks the ECE sticker that is on my wife’s Scorpion. A question to those of you who have toured over there, is this going to be an issue? Should I plan on buying another before we go?
Thanks

Planning a first trip to Europe in May and tonight noticed that my Arai Signet Q lacks the ECE sticker that is on my wife’s Scorpion. A question to those of you who have toured over there, is this going to be an issue? Should I plan on buying another before we go?
Thanks

If stopped by the police, they could look for the ECE sticker and could issue an on-the-stop fine.

https://touron2wheels.wordpress.com...otective-clothing-in-belgium-required-by-law/

In reality, the odds of being stopped are really, really low and most of the police wouldn't know or wouldn't bother to look.
However, if they did ...

In Europe, most countries require foreigners to pay a fine on the spot, and some require conformity before you ride further.
Meaning they may stop you and require you to park the bike and get a ECE-compliant helmet, in order to ride further.

If you don't want to buy the helmet, are you renting a bike? You could rent the helmet.... Hope this is helpful

In theory, yes you need an ECE homologated helmet. As acools says, odds are you won't be bothered unless you do something stupid to attract attention.
I've been riding in Europe for the past ten years and have never been stopped by the police. When you have "tourist" written on your face, they don't bother you.
As long as you don't have a beenie or half helmet, you should be good to go.

Just a quick thought - is there an ECE reference on any of the tags inside the helmet? My LS2 FF386 (which I've really enjoyed for how inexpensive it is) has both a sticker on the back and a mention of the certs. on the inside tag.

Just a quick thought - is there an ECE reference on any of the tags inside the helmet? My LS2 FF386 (which I've really enjoyed for how inexpensive it is) has both a sticker on the back and a mention of the certs. on the inside tag.

The European law doesn't require a sticker but a tag sewn to the straps. The logo is a large E in a circle followed by the originating country's number.

1496387809_EULabel.jpg

This site has the whole info: http://www.mccofnsw.org.au/a/382.html
If it doesn't have the chin-strap tag with the above details, it's not UN/ECE 22-05 compliant, despite any other labels.
On some ECE helmets, the label is behind a sheathing over the chin-strap. To read the label, the sheathing can be pushed back while holding the strap with the other hand.

On my X-Lite it's hard to find.

Back