• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Removing wire connection fm central electrical box '99RT

Thanks for all the photos. The pins and connectors would have been nice to see for those not familiar already. I'll try to remember to take some next time I am in there. At some point I want to install fuses for the ignition circuit. Why BMW declined to do that is beyond all reason. Unfused key ignition circuit has caused a lot of melted wires over the years and there is no sound electrical reason for not having fuse protection on such a vital circuit other than to pinch a few deutshmarks...

BTW most of the electrical connectors on airheads are by AMP and exclusive to BMW. I'm thinking the oilheads are full of AMP stuff too but I could be wrong about that.

Yes. Siemens is clearly embossed on the plastic relay casing.
And now it’s off to the front of the bike to remove a poorly installed Xenon headlight.....so far, removal of the front fairing is nowhere near as easy as the service manual indicates.

Last edited:
Yeah some of these lighting upgrades are anything but... I bought set of HID lights thinking I would put one on the RT and maybe the second one on one of my airheads. A friend has a lumens meter so we tested my OEM Osram H4 bulb as they came from BMW and then temporarily hooked up all the crap needed for the HID headlight. Guess what? It put out LESS lumens than the filament based Osram H4 bulb!

I was quite surprised and also disappointed. That HID kit is still sitting around in my basement. It would be a great update for an old car I suppose but it was not worth installing on the RT!

So I've just picked received one of these ADVMonster Native H4 lights: http://stores.advmonster.com/native-h4/

I'm going to test it on my R80G/S. With the anemic charging system (280 Watts Max) using half the watts for better lighting is a good thing on the old airheads however some require that you remove the reflector piece from the headlight assembly. I would not do that since I try to avoid MODS that cannot be put back to OEM fully and easily. That said, if the output measures up I might put the Native H4 in all 3 of my bikes. The R80G/S headlight does not have the reflector and I'm told this Native H4 plugs right in with great results.

We'll see about that. The lumens are what matters. Winter seems to be setting in here with temps below zero so riding the bike to the lumen meter is on hold for now but I'll post results once we test this new light.

PS: Question for the MODS; is this not an oilhead thread? If you agree please move it there. Thanks!

Last edited:
PS: Question for the MODS; is this not an oilhead thread? If you agree please move it there. Thanks!

Probably should be moved as it's fairly bike specific. I didn't see a call out for the model...it just looks like an Oil/Cam/Hex/Wethead to me!! :wave

So I've just picked received one of these ADVMonster Native H4 lights: http://stores.advmonster.com/native-h4/

I'm going to test it on my R80G/S. With the anemic charging system (280 Watts Max) using half the watts for better lighting is a good thing on the old airheads however some require that you remove the reflector piece from the headlight assembly. I would not do that since I try to avoid MODS that cannot be put back to OEM fully and easily. That said, if the output measures up I might put the Native H4 in all 3 of my bikes. The R80G/S headlight does not have the reflector and I'm told this Native H4 plugs right in with great results.

Do let us know how that turns out, as I’m also needing more light on my R80G/S. I’m generally a fan of aux lighting over modified lighting, but these did catch my eye:
https://advrider.com/f/threads/h4-l...me-focus-as-h4-halogen-bulb-new-2018.1286743/

Best,
DG

The bike is a 99 RT with several electrical issues due to poorly installed “upgrades”. I’m returning it to stock and I have a pair of PIAA lights to add. Hoping these give good light as I’ve never used them before.

Ok. So are Beemer electrical plugs “Molex” type plugs?
My Harley’s have Deutsch plugs. Those are easy to disassemble. I am unfamiliar with Molex
They are made by Amp (now owned by Tyco)
All components are exclusively made for BMW are are not available for public purchase. (except at the dealer)
The round pins and sockets in the multipin connectors are a special size.
No manufactured extractor is available.
If you wish to remove them a custom extractor is needed.
I have machined several, if anyone wants one, PM me.

They are made by Amp (now owned by Tyco)
All components are exclusively made for BMW are are not available for public purchase. (except at the dealer)
The round pins and sockets in the multipin connectors are a special size.
No manufactured extractor is available.
If you wish to remove them a custom extractor is needed.
I have machined several, if anyone wants one, PM me.

I got mine out with my Lisle multi tool but it was a PITA. I’ve edited this reply. My error. Yes the connector pins are a beeyotch!

Last edited:
Back