Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Removing wire connection fm central electrical box '99RT

04FC2194-2A13-4DB7-A4C6-745E3D653D4E.jpg

I actually don’t seem to have any pics of the underside of the relay in question. Having said that, the fuel pump relay and the Motronic are ganged together in one shared block. Both were tied into the Spyball alarm so both had to be disconnected then reattached. So I had to reinsert segments of the wiring from the harness to the relay. I soldered then used glue filled heat shrink to cover the joins.

Rocky Bow BMW Riders #197 bogthebasher's Avatar
    Last edited by bogthebasher; 12-05-2018 at 11:25 PM. Reason: Rotate Pictures
    Ken Dittrick
    2008 R1200RT (Biarritz Blau)

Excuses are the rocks upon which our dreams are crushed - Tim Fargo

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    Thanks for all the photos. The pins and connectors would have been nice to see for those not familiar already. I'll try to remember to take some next time I am in there. At some point I want to install fuses for the ignition circuit. Why BMW declined to do that is beyond all reason. Unfused key ignition circuit has caused a lot of melted wires over the years and there is no sound electrical reason for not having fuse protection on such a vital circuit other than to pinch a few deutshmarks...

BTW most of the electrical connectors on airheads are by AMP and exclusive to BMW. I'm thinking the oilheads are full of AMP stuff too but I could be wrong about that.
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

Quote Originally Posted by happy wanderer View Post
    Thanks for all the photos. The pins and connectors would have been nice to see for those not familiar already. I'll try to remember to take some next time I am in there. At some point I want to install fuses for the ignition circuit. Why BMW declined to do that is beyond all reason. Unfused key ignition circuit has caused a lot of melted wires over the years and there is no sound electrical reason for not having fuse protection on such a vital circuit other than to pinch a few deutshmarks...

BTW most of the electrical connectors on airheads are by AMP and exclusive to BMW. I'm thinking the oilheads are full of AMP stuff too but I could be wrong about that.
    Yes. Siemens is clearly embossed on the plastic relay casing.
    And now it’s off to the front of the bike to remove a poorly installed Xenon headlight.....so far, removal of the front fairing is nowhere near as easy as the service manual indicates.
    Last edited by flhfxd; 12-06-2018 at 02:52 AM.

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    Yeah some of these lighting upgrades are anything but... I bought set of HID lights thinking I would put one on the RT and maybe the second one on one of my airheads. A friend has a lumens meter so we tested my OEM Osram H4 bulb as they came from BMW and then temporarily hooked up all the crap needed for the HID headlight. Guess what? It put out LESS lumens than the filament based Osram H4 bulb!

I was quite surprised and also disappointed. That HID kit is still sitting around in my basement. It would be a great update for an old car I suppose but it was not worth installing on the RT!

So I've just picked received one of these ADVMonster Native H4 lights: http://stores.advmonster.com/native-h4/

I'm going to test it on my R80G/S. With the anemic charging system (280 Watts Max) using half the watts for better lighting is a good thing on the old airheads however some require that you remove the reflector piece from the headlight assembly. I would not do that since I try to avoid MODS that cannot be put back to OEM fully and easily. That said, if the output measures up I might put the Native H4 in all 3 of my bikes. The R80G/S headlight does not have the reflector and I'm told this Native H4 plugs right in with great results.

We'll see about that. The lumens are what matters. Winter seems to be setting in here with temps below zero so riding the bike to the lumen meter is on hold for now but I'll post results once we test this new light.

PS: Question for the MODS; is this not an oilhead thread? If you agree please move it there. Thanks!
    Last edited by happy wanderer; 12-07-2018 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Post shold be moved to Oilheads
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

PS: Question for the MODS; is this not an oilhead thread? If you agree please move it there. Thanks!
    Probably should be moved as it's fairly bike specific. I didn't see a call out for the model...it just looks like an Oil/Cam/Hex/Wethead to me!!
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

So I've just picked received one of these ADVMonster Native H4 lights: http://stores.advmonster.com/native-h4/

I'm going to test it on my R80G/S. With the anemic charging system (280 Watts Max) using half the watts for better lighting is a good thing on the old airheads however some require that you remove the reflector piece from the headlight assembly. I would not do that since I try to avoid MODS that cannot be put back to OEM fully and easily. That said, if the output measures up I might put the Native H4 in all 3 of my bikes. The R80G/S headlight does not have the reflector and I'm told this Native H4 plugs right in with great results.
    Do let us know how that turns out, as Iím also needing more light on my R80G/S. Iím generally a fan of aux lighting over modified lighting, but these did catch my eye:
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/h4-le...-2018.1286743/

Best,
    DG
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST ó 1984 R80 G/S PD ó 1993 R100GS ó 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C ó 2010 K1300GT
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

The bike is a 99 RT with several electrical issues due to poorly installed ďupgradesĒ. Iím returning it to stock and I have a pair of PIAA lights to add. Hoping these give good light as Iíve never used them before.

Quote Originally Posted by flhfxd View Post
    Ok. So are Beemer electrical plugs “Molex” type plugs?
    My Harley’s have Deutsch plugs. Those are easy to disassemble. I am unfamiliar with Molex
    They are made by Amp (now owned by Tyco)
    All components are exclusively made for BMW are are not available for public purchase. (except at the dealer)
    The round pins and sockets in the multipin connectors are a special size.
    No manufactured extractor is available.
    If you wish to remove them a custom extractor is needed.
    I have machined several, if anyone wants one, PM me.
    '
    Ufda happens..........

Need your R11xx Hall sensor rewired? PM me.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GSAddict View Post
    Very cool
    It's nice to see custom work.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by GSAddict View Post
    They are made by Amp (now owned by Tyco)
    All components are exclusively made for BMW are are not available for public purchase. (except at the dealer)
    The round pins and sockets in the multipin connectors are a special size.
    No manufactured extractor is available.
    I got mine out with my Lisle multi tool but it was a PITA. I’ve edited this reply. My error. Yes the connector pins are a beeyotch!
    Last edited by flhfxd; 12-09-2018 at 03:10 PM.