• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Removing wire connection fm central electrical box '99RT

flhfxd

Now that winter is here, I have finally gotten to surgical removal of the Italian Spyball ignition immobilizer / alarm system the previous owner had installed on my 99RT. Quite the job I must say. Anyways, I have to splice a couple wires but I'm stuck on removal of one individual ignition wire from the relay block. I suspect it's the usual wire inserted until the barb clicks but I'm not having much luck and I don't want to butcher this if I can help it. So if you've had to remove individual wires from a relay block before, what's best practice to get the wire to release?
Much obliged, Flhfxd.

They make a tool I don’t have. I use the tweezers from my Swiss Army Knife sometimes and other times I will use a properly sized slice of aluminum such as a piece of flashing. On the flashing, roll it around and ease in down.
OM

Could you show a picture of the relay/connection? Might help understand a bit of what you're dealing with. I see a number of models on line, but can't really tell where the issue is.

Ok. So are Beemer electrical plugs “Molex” type plugs?
My Harley’s have Deutsch plugs. Those are easy to disassemble. I am unfamiliar with Molex

"Deutsch" and "Molex" are just brand names... a tool "specified" for one may also fit the other.
If there is any store near you similar to Fry's, Radio Shack, or just an electronic parts supply, they probably have something that will actually fit without damaging the plastic or the pins. From personal experience, even when the tool fits, patience is a virtue...

Edit: Yaay!

"Deutsch" and "Molex" are just brand names... a tool "specified" for one may also fit the other.
If there is any store near you similar to Fry's, Radio Shack, or just an electronic parts supply, they probably have something that will actually fit without damaging the plastic or the pins. From personal experience, even when the tool fits, patience is a virtue...

Edit: Yaay!

I’ve learned more about electrical connectors in the last 2 days than I wanted to. In any event, I did get the job done with absolutely no butchering of parts or plastic! Yes....patients is a necessity.
Some connectors definitely have advantages over others. The Deutsch blocks are very easy to assemble / disassemble. The Siemans on my RT....not so much.

Last edited:
This is one of those threads where photos would be sooooo helpful. Surprised you found Siemens connectors in there since AMP seems to have been BMW's supplier of choice for a lot of years. But photos of the removal of the fuse block box (the wiring is all underneath it) and the extracted terminal would be really good info.

I do have some photos on my phone. I haven’t had much luck posting photos on the forum in the past, and I’ve reassembled the rear end and fairings today so I can’t go back to get better pics, but I’ll give it a go later this evening. Running kids around for now....
Incidentally, the bike was imported from Sweden. Not sure if it matters WRT components.

Let me know if you need some help uploading pictures. :wave If things don't work on your end, you could PM me with your email address and I'll upload them.

This is one of those threads where photos would be sooooo helpful. Surprised you found Siemens connectors in there since AMP seems to have been BMW's supplier of choice for a lot of years. But photos of the removal of the fuse block box (the wiring is all underneath it) and the extracted terminal would be really good info.
Yeah, I'd be interested in seeing a picture as well. I've disassembled a number of that kind of plugs, some with more success than others........never with the proper tool :eek I have even made some of the connectors when they were not available :hungover
OM

04FC2194-2A13-4DB7-A4C6-745E3D653D4E.jpg

I actually don’t seem to have any pics of the underside of the relay in question. Having said that, the fuel pump relay and the Motronic are ganged together in one shared block. Both were tied into the Spyball alarm so both had to be disconnected then reattached. So I had to reinsert segments of the wiring from the harness to the relay. I soldered then used glue filled heat shrink to cover the joins.

Thanks for all the photos. The pins and connectors would have been nice to see for those not familiar already. I'll try to remember to take some next time I am in there. At some point I want to install fuses for the ignition circuit. Why BMW declined to do that is beyond all reason. Unfused key ignition circuit has caused a lot of melted wires over the years and there is no sound electrical reason for not having fuse protection on such a vital circuit other than to pinch a few deutshmarks...

BTW most of the electrical connectors on airheads are by AMP and exclusive to BMW. I'm thinking the oilheads are full of AMP stuff too but I could be wrong about that.

Back