• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

12 Volt heated gear

grabcon

I am getting my wife a Warm & Safe heated layer shirt and heatroller for Xmas. So I need some advice since I am very new to BMW and electric circuitry. The bike is a 2014 F700GS. I would like to use the 12 volt powerlet that is located just to the left of the ignition key as the power supply for the heated gear. The heat-troller comes with an inline fuse, but my question is "Is there a fuse for the 12 volt powerlet? And if so where is it located?" Or "Is the overvoltage protection covered by the CANBUS?"

So at the end of the day do I use the inline fuse that comes with the heat-troller or rely on CANBUS to manager things?

Don't know about your specific bike and questions, but … I do know from experience that the alternator of the F800 bike (and probably on your 700) has quite limited output (400 amps as I recall?). I use Gerbing heated liner and gloves in the coldest times and I have to run the bike at least 4,000 rpm (higher than normal in around town riding) to keep from discharging the battery. Not a problem, but something you and your wife should be aware of. I simply have learned the habit of running in a lower gear during the winter. I always thought it poor engineering on BMWs part to put such a small alternator on a bike sold for any type of touring (mine is a "sport" tourer).

Good luck.

Chances are your new system will come with a connector that will go directly to the battery. In my opinion, it’s the best way to go. You can put a connector on for a Battery Tender while your in there ‘iffin you want.
More threads at the bottom of the page.
OM

To directly answer the question, the accessory outlet is not fused per se, but is microprosessor controlled to limit the amperage permitted to flow through the outlet - generally called the CANBUS. Some models/years were limited to 5 amps; other models/years were said to be limited to 10 amps. If an excess draw is detected the system shuts the outlet down until it is reset with a key-off condition.

I personally prefer this type of use to be connected to the battery with a 10 amp fuse which allows the use of the heated shirt/jacket/etc, as well as sufficient amperage to run a small pump for tire repair.

The Warm and Safe garment will most likely come with a small coaxial electrical connector and a matching female coaxial connector to connect to the battery. If you use the BMW accessory plug you will need to get an adapter for coaxial to DIN, or have a DIN male connector attached to the garment wiring.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses folks.

Yes the heat-troller does come with a coaxial electrical connector and at the other end it is setup with an inline fuse to go to the battery. I guess that is the way I will go is direct connect.

As far as the charging system output, I hope it is 400 watts and not 400 amps. But at any rate I can always run a voltmeter to track charging progress.

Pretty sure output is 400 watts like the F800GS. It runs my bike, vest and gloves without a problem. Enjoy the warmth.
OM
For reference, 400 amps is a whole ‘nuther thing but still not a problem at 12 volts.

I have a 2019 BMW F750 with a warm and safe jacket, gloves, and socks. The controller blinks on and off for heating which means the heat is not on all the time full blast but I have never seen my voltage drop below 14.2 even when using all three at same time while at idle. So I believe the charging must be keeping up with the amperage requirement.

I have a 2019 BMW F750 with a warm and safe jacket, gloves, and socks. The controller blinks on and off for heating which means the heat is not on all the time full blast but I have never seen my voltage drop below 14.2 even when using all three at same time while at idle. So I believe the charging must be keeping up with the amperage requirement.

As best I have figured, the temperature control for heated gear is controlled through a bit of pulse width technology. There is no actual thermostat involved, as it would be a whole other problem. The on and off time of the pulse becomes user adjustable in relationship to the temperature requirement.
OM

Back