Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: High bars on an S

Every individual is different. Height, inseam, arm length, weight and girth. Beemers were always intended by design to place rider in a 'lean forward into the wind' like an airfoil position. Because the wind holds up yer upper body/helmet taking some weight off yer butt/back. And you can bend yer spine to and fro, slide back and forth on nice saddles, to fight fatigue as Beemers can roll you late into afternoon, long after most bikers head for brewskees. So experiment as you go. Off road another style of riding.

I started with a 600, no fairing, USA bars; first long ride butt/back was killing me. And temporarily deaf, forgot ear plugs. Got euro bars from Capital, for me, problem solved.

Next, a 90S, small fairing was great, head and upper torso still in wind, better because of some help penetrating the wind without a lot of plastic. Still have a few bars in collection, but always ride with the euro/S bars today. 5/10 and 1/2. Regular girth. Had an '84 RS, didn't like the narrow bars or plastic.

First K100 standard with wide bars was like a sail even with a C fairing. I'll never go back to sitting up. Unless I start riding in the dirt. Had the S since '87, will never get rid of it. Would call it a bit high spirited, lots of changes over the years, does not do the coffee to cafe thing. Needs to git out and git down the road. Best at or above the 4K mark, 5k better. That's my individual reflection on handlebars. A set of new bars always eclipses used because used sometimes have been bent. Or bent back. Two sense FWIW.

I've ridden a few R90S's/R100S's; I liked it. Most of my riding has been with a standard R90 with USA bars. I rode that bike with a Windjammer, with an OEM BMW windshield, several aftermarket windshields, and as a plain bike. Plain bike was the best look and the next best looking was the BMW with BMW shield. This setup also the best for me riding; good protection from weather and road debris. The BMW OEM airhead windshield is most underated shield for Airheads.

Thumbs down

[QUOTE=khittner;1149572]I recently bought a '91 R100 Classic that has an S-fairing mounted on it.

'91 R100; that's a pretty rare bike. A couple of years ago I was at a dealer in the Midwest looking around. The only people in the showroom was the manager and me. Small place, only took about 30 minutes to see most of it. I finally went around a corner and saw one older airhead sitting by itself. I took several minutes and really admired it. Nice. Walked back over to the manager's desk and sit down. He looked up smiled and asked how I liked the showroom and bikes. Nice, clean, and tidy, I answered. I told him I really liked the '91 R100 around the corner, pretty rare bike. He smiled and nodded, you have keen eye; your the customer to recognize the significance of that bike. Yep, I remember that model sitting on the BMW showroom back in '91. Yes, a pretty rare model, your one lucky guy.

Thanks, Barry. I wanted an S-faired bike, and when this one popped up in the IBMWR listings this Fall, I wasted no time. I'm only the second owner, and it needs (and is getting) some cash rubbed on it, but it'll be a keeper. If it's like my '84 Last Edition RT, it'll go unnoticed, even by most BMW guys.

I posted a picture of that '91 R100 I saw at BMW of Omaha on my thread Mid-South Ride Eat and Meet under The South Region. I think post # 851. Chrome headlight bucket and all. Make that .

Sorry for the thread hijack! Mine looks more like the one here, without the crash bars and header shields: BMW-R100-Classic-Left-Side.jpg

High bars on an S bike

HI Guys
    Got a lot of good info and opinions, Thanks. I will be on the lookout for a nice Daytona orange S that needs a good home. When and If one follows me home I will ride it for a while and if I find the bars uncomfortable then I will fix the problem. Its 35 degrees here in Beantown and perfect day to run some errands on my RT.
    Thanks
    Brian