• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Winter tires/Summer tires?

r65_steve

I bought a bike over the summer and it came with Bridgestone Battleaxe tires. I'm not much of a cold weather rider, but I rode the bike a couple weeks ago when it was cold and it felt a little squirrely. I'm very familiar with softer tires for the summer for my sports cars, but I frankly don't know that much about motorcycle tires. How do I tell what kind of tires I have? (I looked it up, they said "touring"). Should I worry about motorcycle tires hardening up in the cold?

thanks

*It wasn't that cold, maybe the 40s.

I would check the tire pressure and enjoy cold weather riding as you can.
OM

Tire rubber is compromise. which is best is an opinion.

I do ride year round, when roads are dry I will ride down to 20 or so. I seem to attract rain also. In my opinion is Michelin seems to make a good universal temp range and rain compound with decent life. This is what I use now.

I have also used Shinko, which for a bargain tire has treated me well. They have mold release from hell, takes over 100 miles to get rid of it. They DO NOT grip as well in the cold, and you do have to adjust your style and let them warm up. This can be mitigated to some degree by using less pressure so they warm up faster. However Shinko for me is also pressure sensitive so lower pressure does not handle as well. I will use shinko again, if fact if Michelin keeps raising prices (see the road 5 prices :eek).

My opinions.

Rod

I had a set of BattleAxe on my old RT. They too tend to be jittery in colder temperature and over tar snakes.

Switch to Michelin Pilot Road after and the difference is big.

I follow what my dealer installs on police/hwy patrol bikes, as they ride in lots of crummy weather
Right now PR4’s seem to be the best choice. Michelin rep at Long Beach show indicated PR5GT will be out middle of next year if you can hold off
Dunlop and continental both have some highly recommended tires if you don’t like Michelin’s price

Jim

The real consideration should be that if you've fitted tires noted for providing long life, you might want to be particularly careful riding in cold weather.

I recall a couple testimonies in the K1200LT forum a few years back from guys that crashed at maybe the second turn leaving their neighborhood in cold weather.

Back