• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Anyone notice an increase in Women riding BMWs?

Most of the serious female motorcycle riders I know are childless or at least empty-nesters.

Perhaps that is a factor?

Most of the serious female motorcycle riders I know are childless or at least empty-nesters.

Perhaps. But as a counterpoint, Voni learned to ride when our kids were 6 and 8 so the four of us could take two bikes and go on motorcycle camping vacations as a family. She has continued to ride long after the kids were grown and gone.

Perhaps. But as a counterpoint, Voni learned to ride when our kids were 6 and 8 so the four of us could take two bikes and go on motorcycle camping vacations as a family. She has continued to ride long after the kids were grown and gone.

But most of us already know Voni is an anomaly, especially when it comes to riding! :bow

The absolute most women I've seen riding two wheels was Vietnam in late 60's. Also men. The Latin and Asian markets have been well ahead of US for"ever". Different countries, infrastructure, economics and therefore mindset. Certainly most units were scooter/small cc motorcycles, to which native average statute necessitated (your seat height variable being applied).

The absolute most women I've seen riding two wheels was Vietnam in late 60's. Also men. The Latin and Asian markets have been well ahead of US for"ever". Different countries, infrastructure, economics and therefore mindset. Certainly most units were scooter/small cc motorcycles, to which native average statute necessitated (your seat height variable being applied).

In many 2nd world and 3rd world countries scooters and motorcycles are mostly a primary means of transportation - for women as well as for men. While here in the US there is a small proportion of riders who use a motorcycle as primary transportation such is not the norm. We sometimes read of the heroics of somebody in Wisconsin or Canada who rides year-round, that is so unusual as to merit wonderment.

I will make a few (I haven't counted them yet) comments:

1. When I was the President of the BMW Motorcycle Owners of American (now called the MOA) and writing a monthly column in the BMW Owners News (now called the ON) in the year 2000 almost exactly 10% of the primary members were women. I do not have current membership data (Ted, can you get this info or have Bob provide this info for 2018), but I suspect it is still right at 10%.

2. I personally have met a dozen or two brave women who tried riding their own bikes, and who for a variety of reasons gave it up. Some because it just was not going to be their thing. Many more because their husbands, boyfriends, significant others, or partners, or whatever they were called were macho and just had to keep running off ahead at high speed, and then griped when the terrified novice could not keep up. If this resembles you or anybody you know - a pox upon your or their house.

3. BMW has a seat height issue in the United States. I don't know the average inseam for females in Germany (now that would be a worthy research project. Can I get a grant?) but in the US seat heights are an issue. It is true that being able to flat-foot a motorcycle is not necessary for an experienced rider, but it is a significantly desired attribute for new riders. And nice for us gezzers too.

4. BMW has an entry price issue in the US. Other brands out-cheap BMW. Young, entry level, and female riders need an incentive to spend more for a BMW than a Honda, or Kawasaki. New riders do not see the value.

5. Harley Davidson has 1940's engineering and 2020 public relations. They co-opted the MSF with their watered down Riders Edge basic course and couple hours looking at bikes and fringe. But they got away with it. And they have low seats. Any women looking to learn to ride is drawn to HD unless steered elsewhere.

6. The major "womens" motorcycle clubs in the US - Motor Maids, Chicks in the Wind, Lost Girls, Sisters Eternal - are all HD American V Twin dominated clubs.

7. Finally, HD outsells BMW 20 to one. If BMW captured 5% of HD sales it would double BMW sales. It won't happen.

This was an interesting insight. Thanks Paul.
It's hard to believe that BMW Motorrad is working diligently to drive dealer expansion in the USA but won't also make the necessary adjustments to the product (make it an available option) to drive product adoption simultaneously.
Surely they know. Does that make things worse: they know but won't do it? "Build and they'll come".
Or are they ignorant of the issues? That would mean they have the wrong people in charge.
BMW Motorrad worldwide and US sales numbers have been growing for 8 years straight.
They prob. figure they will get there while improving the product along the way.
I am okay with an engineering driven approach. It will attract people for the "right" reasons as opposed to just marketing.

The marketplace should offer shorter inseam conversion solutions for BMW Motorcycles. I haven't looked but perhaps it already does. And if not, perhaps, use that grant money to start up a company doing just that. :)

The men and women prospective buyers I spoke with do not cross shop BMW with the Japanese makes.
I don't know why but it seems that it has to do with how one progresses with the selection process once the idea of buying a motorcycle takes a hold of them. They will however look at and consider the British, Italian or Austrian makes instead.
What are your thoughts on this?

Just like for cars. It's a business decision to be present in a segment of the market based on engineering, quality standards costs and strategic execution reasoning with pricing. Could Honda (they dominate racing) build a BMW motorcycle product line and sell them much cheaper?
Would cheaper mean it would attract many more new riders and amongst those, would pricing be a decisive factor to help increase the female gender proportion?

As for the proportion of women riding motorcycles and carrying a MOA membership, that's only a very small subset of the general rider's population.
Here are some interesting numbers from the Progressive International Motorcycle Shows.
Their surveys determined 22% of the riders are female and gender combined, 47% of new riders are under 35 years of age.
How many of those women ride a BMW? I don't know and we should suggest to IMS that drill down farther to look at makes (and they may already have the numbers without publishing them, I'll email them right now).

We could perhaps look at how the idea of riding and owning a motorcycle occurs to people.
Probably by virtue of knowing someone who rides. Maybe even seeing someone all geared and being attracted to that!
Personally, I came to it through cycling. I love being on 2 wheels but with a motorcycle I can achieve touring distances and motorsports sensations (even going downhill at 50 mph on clinchers) in the same given amount of time that I couldn't achieve on a race bike.

I'll be passing by you in a few weeks if you are located near the Big Bend. See my thread here.

Last edited:
Anyone notice...etc.

ayour statement is a reminder of a less positive attitude toward women. Kind of sounds like, " ... keep 'um pregnant in summer an bare foot in winter. "

How many guys on this forum have posted that they rode a motorcycle but then one or more kids happened so they stopped riding for 20 or so years. I somehow doubt any of these fine fellows were pregnant although some were probably barefoot. :)

So I have been selling BMW motorcycles now for 1.5 years. Here are some stats if you guys want to know them. I have sold 141 motorcycles, and 14 of them have been to women. Out of those 14 bikes, they bought:

K1600B
Ducati Monster
F750GS
G310GS
K1600GT (yes, me lol)
G650GS
G310GS
G310GS
F750GS
G310GS
G310R
F900R
G310GS
K1600GA

One was a 60 year old woman just getting her endorsement and has never ridden before. Her husband said that I helped convince her to ride.

I've met a few who stopped riding because of kids, makes me even happier I have none. Not a whole lot of women riding where I am but by far the majority are on cruisers just like the men.

I see the 310 series being a great option for many being a smaller machine and less intimidating plus allowing for smaller people to fit. My dealer has not been bringing many in yet but he is pretty small.

As a BMW sales person, I have not sold many BMW bikes to women. Most of the bikes I have sold to women have been Baggers, 310's and F900R's.

Back