Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 16 to 24 of 24

Thread: Anyone notice an increase in Women riding BMWs?

  1. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Lansing, Kansas
    Posts
    547
    Quote Originally Posted by DennisDarrow View Post
    Haven't been much with a woman rider in a while. Ex-wife rode off with her 80 ST into the sunset. That's another set of stories!
    BMW is missing their target in the USA, perhaps; but in Latin America there is an explosion of WOMEN RIDERS! Every where one looks....THERE GOES ANOTHER ONE!.....

    The 310's are there and NOT DEAD OR DYING!
    So, who is the van driver giving the thumbs-up to? The woman rider who is not paying attention, or the photographer, or someone else?
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST

  2. #17
    #4869 DennisDarrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Sugar Valley, Ga
    Posts
    1,923
    Don't know what you are trying to ask or what it has to do with the price of burritos in Juarez but never even saw the fella in the van doing the thumbs up business. Perhaps he saw the future and had an idea of how the picture would be used and your valuable to the subject question. WOW!!! Thanks for that...

    What I was really trying to point out that women in Latin America are way ahead of the curve in jumping on board with 2 wheels and their families attached. Wish there was some kind of way to gather safety statistics pointing out what has been happening over, let's say the last 10 years with women, accident rates, injuries, at fault, and deaths all broken down by sexes. ....God bless.....Dennis

  3. #18
    SURVIVOR akbeemer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Silver City, Montana
    Posts
    7,029
    Quote Originally Posted by DennisDarrow View Post
    Don't know what you are trying to ask or what it has to do with the price of burritos in Juarez but never even saw the fella in the van doing the thumbs up business. Perhaps he saw the future and had an idea of how the picture would be used and your valuable to the subject question. WOW!!! Thanks for that...

    What I was really trying to point out that women in Latin America are way ahead of the curve in jumping on board with 2 wheels and their families attached. Wish there was some kind of way to gather safety statistics pointing out what has been happening over, let's say the last 10 years with women, accident rates, injuries, at fault, and deaths all broken down by sexes. ....God bless.....Dennis
    I think that the main reason for the growth in Latin America, and many other parts of the world, is that they have no other practicle options for transportation. Theirs is a necessity where ours is overwhelmingly an avocation. It happens here as well, but to a much smaller degree. I would hope that the only thing that would drive a person to putting a toddler on a scooter is desperation
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl's MT Outpost
    2017 R1200GSA & 2013 FJR

  4. #19
    not so retired henzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    CENTEX USA
    Posts
    9,816
    Our club has had more women pilots at times, have lost a few due to relocating, health, or passing too young . Some I have talked to just do not do group rides or the club thing, but see them on the road.

    What I did notice at the Rally in Iowa was a large presence of female riders. Talked to a few who were on first solo cross country trips and enjoying the rally experience. Of course, most were on BMW's, but some were not. The ones who were not have had fitment issues ( not just a female issue) and ride what they can,or are planning on moving to a German machine in the future.

    I have the pleasure of riding with one pretty regularly, however I view her as a rider as I try to keep up.

    And speaking of women pilots...Happy Birthday to Voni G
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and club tire changer

    Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

  5. #20
    sMiling Voni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    53 sMiles south of Alpine, TX USA
    Posts
    6,050
    Thanks!!

    Voni
    sMiling
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador Emeritus / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million 100 thousand BMW sMiles

  6. #21
    Most of the serious female motorcycle riders I know are childless or at least empty-nesters.

    Perhaps that is a factor?
    -I just wanna ride on my motor sickle-

  7. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by OldCamper View Post
    Most of the serious female motorcycle riders I know are childless or at least empty-nesters.

    Perhaps that is a factor?
    Perhaps. But as a counterpoint, Voni learned to ride when our kids were 6 and 8 so the four of us could take two bikes and go on motorcycle camping vacations as a family. She has continued to ride long after the kids were grown and gone.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

  8. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Perhaps. But as a counterpoint, Voni learned to ride when our kids were 6 and 8 so the four of us could take two bikes and go on motorcycle camping vacations as a family. She has continued to ride long after the kids were grown and gone.
    But most of us already know Voni is an anomaly, especially when it comes to riding!
    Gail Thorne
    2017 F700GS

  9. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by shortythorne View Post
    But most of us already know Voni is an anomaly, especially when it comes to riding!
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Similar Threads

  1. Free women's riding gear
    By KALTZG in forum Gear
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-25-2015, 05:00 AM
  2. 2010 Women's Riding School
    By vermontrider in forum Women of the MOA
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-28-2010, 12:04 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •