• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Anyone notice an increase in Women riding BMWs?

Definitely noticed this, the growth curve started trending up about 15 years ago. I bet there is more room for growth yet.

There are a *lot* of women (and they feel very welcome) in the GS Giants.

Thanks to volunteers Jeannae Washington, Tracy Novacich, Nicole Beachboard, Linnea Alvord, Deb Schiell, Lori Payne, Colleen Sepulveda, Karen Mans, Valerie McCurry, Lori Anderson, Karen Cox, Jessie Ratterman .... I cannot remember all the names and I know I am forgetting many, but women have been enthusiastic participants and volunteers at every event.

Ian

20130719-IMG_3168-X2.jpg

20130719-IMG_3139-X2.jpg

20130719-IMG_3211-X2.jpg

This is an interesting note to follow.

I have noticed more women locally on various bikes of all sorts, but interestingly enough, not on beemers.

The primary reason i have seen this according to the ladies I have spoken with is the height issue.

Their primary complaint continues to be high bikes they cant ride for their shorter stature.

That has been the single most consistent point made.
Harley's Low bikes help and size as well. overall weight.
but those who do ride even some of the large baggers like the ability to have their feet on the floor.

Otherwise the up tick in ridership seems to be something slowly gaining speed.

This might be the Frog in the pot of cold water but I haven't noticed an increase in women riding BMW's. No increase at our club level and I don't notice interest at the dealerships. :scratch:dunno

I certainly notice more long hair (ponytails mostly) flapping behind helmets. Do not know if they are women, though certainly could be.

I certainly notice more long hair (ponytails mostly) flapping behind helmets. Do not know if they are women, though certainly could be.

Is that why you were tailgating me so closely ????? :dunno :)

Friedle

Our BMW club has about 70 members; I can remember seven women riders. Seems low to me. 90% or more of my riding is with Annie. She still gets second looks and friendly comments when people realize it is a woman riding.

I would suspect most of those women are riding Harley Davidson's. That would certainly be my local observation. But good on them. They're riding.

This might be the Frog in the pot of cold water but I haven't noticed an increase in women riding BMW's.
Nor have I........what I have observed is that most women who are experienced, well informed, have had proper riding instruction, etc., tend to ride BMW's. There is always an increase at the start of the yearly riding season where you will tend to see more women riding (mostly cruisers or trikes), and it usually doesn't last long. Just another reason why "we" are different from the sheep herd. Most women who start riding BMW's are very serious about riding.However, some get "talked" into riding a BMW because their husband or boyfriend "wants" them to, and that may or may not last (usually doesn't), but I personally have not seen an increase. Several years ago our local BMW Club had quite a few women riders, but as they have aged, a lot of them have stopped riding completely, and now there are only one or two of us.

Anecdotal at best, but for 2018, most MSF BRC classes were about 50% female (we teach 400-500 students per season here at Road America).

We also ran several "Ladies Only" weekends of BRC's, and they quickly filled to the max of 12 students per class.

However, the vast majority of these women either already sported their H-D gear, or were considering Hondas, so BMW not making the popularity cut for makes and models. :dunno

This might be the Frog in the pot of cold water but I haven't noticed an increase in women riding BMW's.
Nor have I........what I have observed is that most women who are experienced, well informed, have had proper riding instruction, etc., tend to ride BMW's. There is always an increase at the start of the yearly riding season where you will tend to see more women riding (mostly cruisers or trikes), and it usually doesn't last long. Just another reason why "we" are different from the sheep herd. Most women who start riding BMW's are very serious about riding.However, some get "talked" into riding a BMW because their husband or boyfriend "wants" them to, and that may or may not last (usually doesn't), but I personally have not seen an increase. Several years ago our local BMW Club had quite a few women riders, but as they have aged, a lot of them have stopped riding completely, and now there are only one or two of us.

Gail, When you hit middle age you may quit as well.

I will make a few (I haven't counted them yet) comments:

1. When I was the President of the BMW Motorcycle Owners of American (now called the MOA) and writing a monthly column in the BMW Owners News (now called the ON) in the year 2000 almost exactly 10% of the primary members were women. I do not have current membership data (Ted, can you get this info or have Bob provide this info for 2018), but I suspect it is still right at 10%.

2. I personally have met a dozen or two brave women who tried riding their own bikes, and who for a variety of reasons gave it up. Some because it just was not going to be their thing. Many more because their husbands, boyfriends, significant others, or partners, or whatever they were called were macho and just had to keep running off ahead at high speed, and then griped when the terrified novice could not keep up. If this resembles you or anybody you know - a pox upon your or their house.

3. BMW has a seat height issue in the United States. I don't know the average inseam for females in Germany (now that would be a worthy research project. Can I get a grant?) but in the US seat heights are an issue. It is true that being able to flat-foot a motorcycle is not necessary for an experienced rider, but it is a significantly desired attribute for new riders. And nice for us gezzers too.

4. BMW has an entry price issue in the US. Other brands out-cheap BMW. Young, entry level, and female riders need an incentive to spend more for a BMW than a Honda, or Kawasaki. New riders do not see the value.

5. Harley Davidson has 1940's engineering and 2020 public relations. They co-opted the MSF with their watered down Riders Edge basic course and couple hours looking at bikes and fringe. But they got away with it. And they have low seats. Any women looking to learn to ride is drawn to HD unless steered elsewhere.

6. The major "womens" motorcycle clubs in the US - Motor Maids, Chicks in the Wind, Lost Girls, Sisters Eternal - are all HD American V Twin dominated clubs.

7. Finally, HD outsells BMW 20 to one. If BMW captured 5% of HD sales it would double BMW sales. It won't happen.

Nor have I........what I have observed is that most women who are experienced, well informed, have had proper riding instruction, etc., tend to ride BMW's.

I also ride a Harley and I know a few women that ride. I wouldn't say they are un-experienced, un-informed, or needing instruction.

Many if these female HD riders will out ride the majority of the BMW riders. They will ride coast to coast, and vacation regularly on two wheels. I know a gal that would put 20,000 miles a year on a 883 Sportster, heck you wouldn't catch me doing that!

I really don't think the brand of motorcycle has much to do with the percentage of women riders. My bet is you could get and accurate poll you would find a similar percentage ride BMW as do Harleys. Maybe the slight nod to Harley, but I bet the ratio is not far off. As Mr. Glaves mentioned you will not see as many female BMW riders as Harley because there is just simply a ton more more Harleys.

I also ride a Harley and I know a few women that ride. I wouldn't say they are un-experienced, un-informed, or needing instruction.

Many if these female HD riders will out ride the majority of the BMW riders. They will ride coast to coast, and vacation regularly on two wheels. I know a gal that would put 20,000 miles a year on a 883 Sportster, heck you wouldn't catch me doing that!

I stand corrected :D.

Haven't been much with a woman rider in a while. Ex-wife rode off with her 80 ST into the sunset. That's another set of stories!
BMW is missing their target in the USA, perhaps; but in Latin America there is an explosion of WOMEN RIDERS! Every where one looks....THERE GOES ANOTHER ONE!.....

The 310's are there and NOT DEAD OR DYING!

Attachments

• 20181207_101905.jpg
    20181207_101905.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 233
Haven't been much with a woman rider in a while. Ex-wife rode off with her 80 ST into the sunset. That's another set of stories!
BMW is missing their target in the USA, perhaps; but in Latin America there is an explosion of WOMEN RIDERS! Every where one looks....THERE GOES ANOTHER ONE!.....

The 310's are there and NOT DEAD OR DYING!

So, who is the van driver giving the thumbs-up to? The woman rider who is not paying attention, or the photographer, or someone else?

Don't know what you are trying to ask or what it has to do with the price of burritos in Juarez but never even saw the fella in the van doing the thumbs up business. Perhaps he saw the future and had an idea of how the picture would be used and your valuable to the subject question. WOW!!! Thanks for that...……………

What I was really trying to point out that women in Latin America are way ahead of the curve in jumping on board with 2 wheels and their families attached. Wish there was some kind of way to gather safety statistics pointing out what has been happening over, let's say the last 10 years with women, accident rates, injuries, at fault, and deaths all broken down by sexes. ...…….God bless.....Dennis

Don't know what you are trying to ask or what it has to do with the price of burritos in Juarez but never even saw the fella in the van doing the thumbs up business. Perhaps he saw the future and had an idea of how the picture would be used and your valuable to the subject question. WOW!!! Thanks for that...……………

What I was really trying to point out that women in Latin America are way ahead of the curve in jumping on board with 2 wheels and their families attached. Wish there was some kind of way to gather safety statistics pointing out what has been happening over, let's say the last 10 years with women, accident rates, injuries, at fault, and deaths all broken down by sexes. ...…….God bless.....Dennis

I think that the main reason for the growth in Latin America, and many other parts of the world, is that they have no other practicle options for transportation. Theirs is a necessity where ours is overwhelmingly an avocation. It happens here as well, but to a much smaller degree. I would hope that the only thing that would drive a person to putting a toddler on a scooter is desperation

Our club has had more women pilots at times, have lost a few due to relocating, health, or passing too young . Some I have talked to just do not do group rides or the club thing, but see them on the road.

What I did notice at the Rally in Iowa was a large presence of female riders. Talked to a few who were on first solo cross country trips and enjoying the rally experience. Of course, most were on BMW's, but some were not. The ones who were not have had fitment issues ( not just a female issue) and ride what they can,or are planning on moving to a German machine in the future.

I have the pleasure of riding with one pretty regularly, however I view her as a rider as I try to keep up.:dance

And speaking of women pilots...Happy Birthday to Voni G
:newtoy

Back