Thread: R1200RT LC side-stand

R1200RT LC side-stand

With Suburban Machinery's peg lowering kit installed, on a RT LC, the side-stand deployment tab gets closer to the foot peg. I thought, with a small leverage bar, I could bend it forward a tad and get more room to catch my heel on it for easier deployment. Is that tab bendable without breaking?
    2018 RT
    MOA #46783

Quote Originally Posted by Motodan View Post
    With Suburban Machinery's peg lowering kit installed, on a RT LC, the side-stand deployment tab gets closer to the foot peg. I thought, with a small leverage bar, I could bend it forward a tad and get more room to catch my heel on it for easier deployment. Is that tab bendable without breaking?
    Probably not.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

I put Pivot Pegs on Annie’s liquid cooled R1200GS. With the new pegs mounted the side stand tang was too close to be used conveniently. I bent the tang about a half inch without it breaking, but I had a good welder on speed dial. I bent the tang by gently tapping it with a dead blow hammer.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl's MT Outpost
    2017 R1200GSA & 2013 FJR

Part of the instructions to install the Illium floor boards for the RT is to bend the tab. It will take SOME endings, just go slow, and as previously mentioned, a welder in speed-dial might be good! ;-)
    Dave...
    ----------------
    15 R1200 RT, 12 G650GS
    83 XN85 D Turbo

I've straightened the tang on a few bikes by slipping a piece of steel pipe over the end. Does not slip like a bar might and there is no need to pry against (damage) other parts of the bike. Change the engagement point and you can produce a curve rather than a single angle.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

I had same issue for same reason. My solution was to take center stand off the bike, cut out a section of the extending arm of the stand, insert a piece of copper pipe (I think 1/2" copper pipe fit perfectly) so that it fit snugly in both the side stand and into the now shorter extending arm- then put together with JB Weld. I thought about welding, but wanted to try this approach first as the seam is barely noticeable and avoided any grinding/painting. This has held up great for 5000 miles so far on my 2018. (never posted pics before- apologies in advance if not up to snuff)
    Side stand mod B.pdfside stand mod A.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by waldeck1 View Post
    I had same issue for same reason. My solution was to take center stand off the bike, cut out a section of the extending arm of the stand, insert a piece of copper pipe (I think 1/2" copper pipe fit perfectly) so that it fit snugly in both the side stand and into the now shorter extending arm- then put together with JB Weld. I thought about welding, but wanted to try this approach first as the seam is barely noticeable and avoided any grinding/painting. This has held up great for 5000 miles so far on my 2018. (never posted pics before- apologies in advance if not up to snuff)
    Side stand mod B.pdfside stand mod A.pdf
    Sorry, I am a little confused. Not sure I understand need to take off center stand when it's the tang on side stand that needs adjusted for easier access?
    2018 RT
    MOA #46783

I bent mine on my '16RT with a short piece of pipe, slowly, in warm weather. No problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Motodan View Post
    With Suburban Machinery's peg lowering kit installed, on a RT LC, the side-stand deployment tab gets closer to the foot peg.
    I added the Illiumworks sidestand pad enlarger, which has a tab on it that sticks out to the rear of the footpeg. Much better for my big feet.

Quote Originally Posted by cap View Post
    I added the Illiumworks sidestand pad enlarger, which has a tab on it that sticks out to the rear of the footpeg. Much better for my big feet.
    Sorry, forgot. This too.

Quote Originally Posted by cap View Post
    Thanks cap, I'm going with this "fix"...ordered yesterday.
    2018 RT
    MOA #46783

With my 17.5 Low GS when I installed loweing pegs it made the side stand foot enlarger hit when it retracted. I had to remove the side stand foot enlarger.

I guess I am just saying beware the foot may not clear with lowering pegs on.
    Lee
    2017.5 R 1200 GSW