• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R1200RT LC side-stand

motodan

With Suburban Machinery's peg lowering kit installed, on a RT LC, the side-stand deployment tab gets closer to the foot peg. I thought, with a small leverage bar, I could bend it forward a tad and get more room to catch my heel on it for easier deployment. Is that tab bendable without breaking?

With Suburban Machinery's peg lowering kit installed, on a RT LC, the side-stand deployment tab gets closer to the foot peg. I thought, with a small leverage bar, I could bend it forward a tad and get more room to catch my heel on it for easier deployment. Is that tab bendable without breaking?

Probably not.

I put Pivot Pegs on Annie’s liquid cooled R1200GS. With the new pegs mounted the side stand tang was too close to be used conveniently. I bent the tang about a half inch without it breaking, but I had a good welder on speed dial. I bent the tang by gently tapping it with a dead blow hammer.

Part of the instructions to install the Illium floor boards for the RT is to bend the tab. It will take SOME endings, just go slow, and as previously mentioned, a welder in speed-dial might be good! ;-)

I've straightened the tang on a few bikes by slipping a piece of steel pipe over the end. Does not slip like a bar might and there is no need to pry against (damage) other parts of the bike. Change the engagement point and you can produce a curve rather than a single angle.

I had same issue for same reason. My solution was to take center stand off the bike, cut out a section of the extending arm of the stand, insert a piece of copper pipe (I think 1/2" copper pipe fit perfectly) so that it fit snugly in both the side stand and into the now shorter extending arm- then put together with JB Weld. I thought about welding, but wanted to try this approach first as the seam is barely noticeable and avoided any grinding/painting. This has held up great for 5000 miles so far on my 2018. (never posted pics before- apologies in advance if not up to snuff)
View attachment Side stand mod B.pdfView attachment side stand mod A.pdf

I had same issue for same reason. My solution was to take center stand off the bike, cut out a section of the extending arm of the stand, insert a piece of copper pipe (I think 1/2" copper pipe fit perfectly) so that it fit snugly in both the side stand and into the now shorter extending arm- then put together with JB Weld. I thought about welding, but wanted to try this approach first as the seam is barely noticeable and avoided any grinding/painting. This has held up great for 5000 miles so far on my 2018. (never posted pics before- apologies in advance if not up to snuff)
View attachment 71747View attachment 71748

Sorry, I am a little confused. Not sure I understand need to take off center stand when it's the tang on side stand that needs adjusted for easier access?

With Suburban Machinery's peg lowering kit installed, on a RT LC, the side-stand deployment tab gets closer to the foot peg.

I added the Illiumworks sidestand pad enlarger, which has a tab on it that sticks out to the rear of the footpeg. Much better for my big feet.

Only interference was back rear shift linkage made slight contact with foot when shifting. Ground off slight amount on rearward side of foot to gain complete clearance.

Back