• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Posting for friend looking at older K1200LT - insights, experiences?

W7lej1

Kindly curmudgeon
Hey folks, I have a friend (non-member, this would be his first BMW) looking at a K1200LT - 2001, I think, with about 60k miles. I’m an RT rider, so I’m only able to offer opinions, and those not very well-founded. So - those with experience with the K-LT, what wisdom and insights can you pass along? Thanks for any help you can provide!

Riding Buddy:

We have done all the BMW scheduled maintenance as per.

I would make sure the brake flush is done if he is a friend. Not much of a friend, I would worry about it a little less. Reason is, we had done the brake flush as per schedule recommendations. Hit a hiccup, rear brakes got a drag after hot. Flush, good, guessing it was old brake fluid or we didn't get the old fluid out.

Bargain for the price compared to others

I have had my LT for 10 years. Reliable, a little clunky at the start by nature but bulletproof mostly. Stereo is likely to be gone. Change the final drive and oil and brake fluid as soon as he buys it. All BMWS are usually well taken care of but these get sold a lot because they are too heavy as the owner ages. Get the Backrest. They eat tires pretty quickly because of the weight. If you can find one with replaced shocks go for it. Compared to the GW they are literally cheap and lots of support here on the forum and with the LT group. Get an owners manual and subscribe to the Northern Illinois BMW group videos.

Back