Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: MOA Mag Twin Tech Articles

MOA Mag Twin Tech Articles

Has Mathew Parkhouse or anyone collected all his articles into one place that can be accessed online ?

Great information.

Charlie

Charlie -

Not that I'm aware of. I did create this index but it just an index of subjects.

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...Matt-Parkhouse

I haven't been updating it that often.

Other indexes listed here:

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/forumdispl...and-References
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

I have been asked the same question regarding my 20 years of Benchwrencing columns. And sadly the answer is no. In 2000 when I was MOA President we broached the subject of putting everything electronic and sadly one author of a regular tech column said "NO". He would forbid it! Then the ON changed the terms so future articles could be provided in different formats, including digital, from that point on but not the prior articles.

Some folks, including my dear wife and mentor Voni have badgered me to put everything in a digital format or in a book. So far I have failed to do so.

But, we shall see about the future. I have already said that any profits would go to the Foundation but I am too busy with life to proceed. We shall see.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Don't wait

Don't wait to put things into a book. Time is running out for all of us and knowledge should be passed along.

I know i myself would pay a fair price for a book of Oak's articles, or PG's or others if done correctly.

Forums are great sources of information if run properly and if the knowledgeable people interact. But, they cannot replace years of first hand experience written down in some form.

St.

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Some folks, including my dear wife and mentor Voni have badgered me to put everything in a digital format or in a book. So far I have failed to do so.
    Every time ones turns around we hear how much value our members place on tech content. I can't think of a more valuable thing to do with club funds than to take all the tech content we've published in the ON and here on our Forum over the years and publish it on our web site for members to access. Anyone who doesn't want their work on line can say so, and it won't be published.

We should also be making videos of respected contributors to our community, if only for legacy purposes. A video of Matt Parkhouse balancing airhead carbs is an example.

Snowbum has published his stuff and someone got him hooked up with Google Adwords. Good for him!

Anton has unselfishly shared all his know-how.

It would not cost much to have an offshore service encode all our content.

We can put on huge raffles that a minority of our members buy into, why can't we do this?

Ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________
    '67 Trail 90 || '86 R80 G/SPD+ || '97 F650ST || '00 1150 GS || '07 Xchallenge || '13 CB500X || '14 Grom

'99 '03 '06 National Co-Rally Chair Friedle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by STEVENRANKIN View Post
    Don't wait to put things into a book. Time is running out for all of us and knowledge should be passed along.

I know i myself would pay a fair price for a book of Oak's articles, or PG's or others if done correctly.

Forums are great sources of information if run properly and if the knowledgeable people interact. But, they cannot replace years of first hand experience written down in some form.

St.
    Steve, I do believe Oak is the very person Paul refers to above as saying NO. He also maintained the same position for all the Tech articles he authored for the Airmail. IIRC, part of Oak's reluctance had to do with the fact that AT THE TIME he wrote his articles the information and procedures were "state of the art". After 30/40 years there may now be better materials, tools or maybe even procedures available that he no longer had editorial control over. Hope that helps to better explain at least Oak's position.

Friedle
    Ride fast safely

Other useful pages for Airheads:

Mostly /2 and /5 - https://w6rec.com/general-bmw-motorcycle-information/

Some info from Vech - http://www.benchmarkworks.com/faq.html

Joerg from Switzerland - https://www.schweizerschrauber.ch/mot/

Some /5 and /2 - http://www.buchanan1.net/motorcycles.html

Various articles here - http://www.gunsmoke.com/motorcycling/index.html
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Oak

Michael,

I was refering mainly to PGlaves, comment on waiting to do it. time is running out.

I used Oak as an example of people for whom sadly time ran out.

If a person does not want to publish or archive their knowledge that is their choice. I am fine with that.

If someone is on the fence about doing so, do it now while you can.
    Last edited by STEVENRANKIN; 11-29-2018 at 12:34 PM.

Video

One of the best things about the internet is the number of knowledgeable people who have taken the time and effort to make good quality videos of repair or Maintenance tasks then posted them to the internet. A good quality series of pictues is just as good.

My hats off to these people be they airheads, washing machine repair, or auto mechanics, they chose to share their experience with others. The knowledge is not lost as long as the link remains.

I have gone to the internet a number of times and taken advantage of these items. Many times they are free. I would not begrudge a person charging a modest fee to use their work if they so choose to do so and if it is something that is useful and will save me time, money and frustration.

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    I would respectfully suggest that in Oak's case his widow continues to sell copies of his famous Top End Manual and I am assuming that the meager income from this activity is welcome or it would not be happening. Perhaps she might be open to someone digitizing Oak's legacy and the income from selling this might also be welcome. And given the longevity of our antiques what a legacy that would be not only for us but for younger airheads as well.

I have no idea if anyone has approached her in this regard but some of the old guard here knew Oak well and perhaps they might consider proposing this idea. Scanning and re formatting text is a lot more efficient nowadays so projects like this may not be as daunting as they seem.
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

Quote Originally Posted by happy wanderer View Post
    And given the longevity of our antiques what a legacy that would be not only for us but for younger airheads as well.
    About 10 years ago, as means for attracting new young members, Greg Feeler floated the idea of a BMW Motorrad Technical Wiki, with work from all the old guard as the starting point. The beauty of a wiki is that editors can update the material with new knowledge and the old material can be archived in the process.

Honestly, I can't think of a better thing for a BMW motorcycle club to do to preserve the legacy of these great wrenches while providing a group activity that qualified club members could enjoy doing together going forward.

Wikis also provide a means of recording and compensating for the use Intellectual Property, so the experts could continue to generate a little income in the future.

I was not a close friend of Oak, but he knew my name. Knowing his concern about the accuracy of his older work, I described the how his content could be updated, his contributions enshrined, and how he could be compensated... but he didn't understand (or didn't want to! ). I also offered to spend a summer riding the country and meeting with other contributors, but no one on the Board seemed to recognize the value of a resource like this and the idea died a quiet death.

Who knows.... maybe there are smoldering embers?

Ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________
    '67 Trail 90 || '86 R80 G/SPD+ || '97 F650ST || '00 1150 GS || '07 Xchallenge || '13 CB500X || '14 Grom

Compiling the info would be great. Indexing it in a useful way would be better yet. Curating and updating it would be even better. Knowing that there are, oftentimes, multiple viewpoints on issues and techniques, arranging those in a manner that illuminates, rather than confuses, the uninformed, would be superlatively great. Sounds like a real job for somebody.

Quote Originally Posted by khittner View Post
    Compiling the info would be great. Indexing it in a useful way would be better yet. Curating and updating it would be even better. Knowing that there are, oftentimes, multiple viewpoints on issues and techniques, arranging those in a manner that illuminates, rather than confuses, the uninformed, would be superlatively great. Sounds like a real job for somebody.
    That's what I like about wikis.... there is ample room for different points of view. Honestly, I think there are enough interested people in the MOA, if given the leadership and an on-line resource for collaboration, we could knock this out of the park. Nothing like this exists and it would be awesome if we built it.

Quote Originally Posted by khittner View Post
    Compiling the info would be great. Indexing it in a useful way would be better yet. Curating and updating it would be even better. Knowing that there are, oftentimesend , multiple viewpoints on issues and techniques, arranging those in a manner that illuminates, rather than confuses, the uninformed, would be superlatively great. Sounds like a real job for somebody.
    +++++

I will gladly send a small donation to anyone (of the recognizable persons and others with good credentials) for your compilations/contributions that will be available on line for ALL in the Future. And I’m serious ! That goes for all models of BMW’s.
    And I will pay for the finished product too.

And Thank You to ALL that do that now !

I have always envisioned that one day a person will find a K75 engine (or Airhead) in an overgrown field, frame long rotted away, and then dragging it away to use on the farm or their personal shop. Much like “hit and miss” engines that are still out there undiscovered.

They will benefit from just such information too.

Especially something like Barringtons /2 info. Wonderful reference.

Charlie
    Last edited by 72r60/7; 12-03-2018 at 03:29 PM.

+1 on a Wiki ... love the idea

Quote Originally Posted by happy wanderer View Post
    I would respectfully suggest that in Oak's case his widow continues to sell copies of his famous Top End Manual and I am assuming that the meager income from this activity is welcome or it would not be happening. Perhaps she might be open to someone digitizing Oak's legacy and the income from selling this might also be welcome. And given the longevity of our antiques what a legacy that would be not only for us but for younger airheads as well.

I have no idea if anyone has approached her in this regard but some of the old guard here knew Oak well and perhaps they might consider proposing this idea. Scanning and re formatting text is a lot more efficient nowadays so projects like this may not be as daunting as they seem.
    In the monthly Airmail publication they publish a technical tips by Oak section called Airtech. Being newer to airheads than many on here, I have jumped at the opportunity to purchase Oak's Tech Index for $25 and Oak's Top End Assembly Manual for $30. It will definitely benefit me, and hopefully benefit Oak's widow as well. Airmail says to send a request and check for the publication interested in to (hopefully it is acceptable to put this info here ... apologies and deletion of this is understood if I am breaking any rules):

Carol Okleshen
    22637 Ridgeway Ave
    Richton Park, IL 60471
    Chris - 2015 BMW RT / 1972 BMW R60/5 / 1973 BMW R75/5 / SCBMWRC
    There ain't nothing like a friend who can tell you're just pissin' in the wind.
    Neil Young