• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1983 R80RT - Speedo Jumped....Backwards!

shropdog

I can just imagine the initial thoughts on my New Thread Heading....odometer fraud!! I bought a 1983 R80RT with 55,132 miles on it over the weekend. I saw pictures before I bought the bike showing various parts of the bike, including a close up of the speedo showing the 55,132 miles. We drove from IN to OH to pick up the bike and saw with my own two eyeballs the mileage was 55,132. Loaded the bike on the trailer, drove four hours home, and voila....the speedo reads 25,132 or 30k miles less! The left digit rolled 3 numbers back to 2!

I am assuming there are plastic gears in there and due to age, brittle plastic, or whatever...the one that controls the far left digit obviously malfunctioned. I am also assuming the only way to get the speedo back to the correct number is to send it off to a speedo repair shop coupled with a copy of the OH title showing what the correct mileage should be. Incidentally, the OH title was notarized showing the mileage at 55,132. I just want to get the mileage correct on the bike to match the title.

Weird....and appreciate any thoughts on this!:dunno

Definitely weird! I can't imagine that so many eyes might have misread the one digit. Plus with the interlocking gears, hard to understand how just the one would move like that.

Maybe you could drop an email to Terry Vrla and see what he thinks. His info is in the link in my signature line. Let us know if you find out anything!

Definitely weird! I can't imagine that so many eyes might have misread the one digit. Plus with the interlocking gears, hard to understand how just the one would move like that.

Maybe you could drop an email to Terry Vrla and see what he thinks. His info is in the link in my signature line. Let us know if you find out anything!

First....thank you and WOW, what a source of information on your links! I found a repair link which appears to be what I am looking for but not Terry's contact info specifically. Again...many thanks!

:thumb Terry's email is not a clickable entry. Here's his email address:

terryvrla at hotmail dot com

Obviously you don't know about the worm hole at the border of Indiana. Is Pence still governor? :)

But really, I took mine apart the other day because it was working here and there. Once apart, it was easy to see that the gears where not aligned correctly. The vibration was deciding on whether it would work or not.

I bet you vibrated back in time due to a similar issue.

Obviously you don't know about the worm hole at the border of Indiana. Is Pence still governor? :)

But really, I took mine apart the other day because it was working here and there. Once apart, it was easy to see that the gears where not aligned correctly. The vibration was deciding on whether it would work or not.

I bet you vibrated back in time due to a similar issue.

:scratch I was attributing all of that to the fluxcapacitor we passed strapped onto the horse drawn honey wagon at the Indiana border!

Excellent and appears to be an easy fix. Thanks for your input...at least some of it!:laugh

Not a unique problem with the Airhead odometers. The set of interlocking number wheels are on a shaft. They have become loose at one end so that the wheels have started to slide on the shaft and in your case the end wheel separated from the others and is just rotating from the vibration. There are pictorial (and probably video) write ups showing how to open the unit and push the wheels back together and lock the end back in place so they don't come apart. Or, just send it to Terry Vrla and have him fix it while performing clean up maintenance on it at the same time. He does great work. He'll clean it up, lube what has to be lubed and calibrate it. Every old Airhead speedo will need this type of work sooner or later.

I didn't check these to make sure they still work.
http://www.pbase.com/dwerbil/1978_r1007_odometer_repair - photos only, some comments
http://www.airheads.org/component/content/article?id=150:speedometer - Same photos, a little more text.
http://www.gunsmoke.com/motorcycling/r100rt/instruments/index.html - another disassembly photo set

The Airhead link is for members only...they converted their mechanical tips, etc., to members access some years back.

Back