Thread: 2014 RT battery tender connection

ohbeemer

2014 RT battery tender connection

My first winter for this bike. On my GS I simply used a BMW plug inserted into the accessory port from the tender. This does not work for the RT. Suggestions?

Two choices,
    1,buy Canbus charger, or
    2,wire a pigtail right to the battery.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    There are quite a few threads in the "similar threads" pane at the bottom of this page that may help.
    Personally, I prefer a pig-tail direct to the battery- for a number of reasons.
    1) Less confusion if things like the computer are working- and not shutting off the circuit.
    2) It's a good accessory connection for things like a 12V air pump.....or perhaps heated gear.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

ohbeemer
    PoorUB..... the best source for a can bus charger?

Quote Originally Posted by slip View Post
    Optimate 4 Canbus edition
    Pat

Ride Safe!
    '16 RT

Quote Originally Posted by slip View Post
    I have no clue, I wired a charger cable to the battery as I have a Battery Tender.

Suamicodog
    I have a 2015 RT. I just plug the battery tender into the BMW accessory plug. Turn the ignition key on and off for one second, then let it charge. If it doesn't work the first time, try again. It works great.

https://www.bobsbmw.com/store/produc...derAdaptorPlug
    Last edited by Suamicodog; 11-28-2018 at 06:00 PM.

Mehrten
    Rather than attaching a pigtail directly to the battery, I connect the battery directly to a BMW style plug. I like the OEM look of the BMW style plugs rather than a pigtail connection.

On the '08 KGT there is a punch-out for a second BMW style plug. I used a BMW plug, and with some wire cutting and soldering it is now attached directly to the battery with an inline 15 amp fuse.

The '02 K1200RS has the same setup. I did use an aftermarket socket, Powerlet.

The '16 R1200RS LC has only one socket/plug hole. I removed the OEM socket and replaced it with a Powerlet socket wired directly to the battery with an inline fuse.

The Powerlet sockets are not up to the same standards as the BMW plug but because the BMW plug requires their trick waterproof socket, I went with the PowerLet for ease of installation.

Twice the Powerlet socket on the R1200RS has required adjusting/repair.

For chargers I went with Die Hard Smart Chargers and Maintainers. They are WIFI capable.

Load their app and you have access to the state of the charge on the connected battery. I have four of them connected to three bikes and one car.

Twice now the WIFI capability has saved me the cost of a battery. Once when I left the key in the '08 K1200GT on.

About a day after I left it on, I checked the app and saw charging/maintaining was stopped. I went out to the shop, turned off the key, reconnected the charger, and within two days the battery was back up to 100%.

On another occasion I did about the same thing with one of our cars. I check the Die Hard app regularly now. They have just about paid for themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by mehrten View Post
    Rather than attaching a pigtail directly to the battery, I connect the battery directly to a BMW style plug.

The shop did the same to our K1300S bikes when they were new. I liked that setup.
    I was going to do the same on the RS until I saw the socket was on the right side of the bike.
    Most heated jacket liners have the wire on the left side and I didn't think I would like having the wire draped over my lap.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT