• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Rider's Tools

1hpyrider

Revzilla has a BMW specific rider's roll up tool kit for $113.00. Anyone have any experience with this kit? I'm trying to put together a tool kit to take along on trips. I wonder if the Revzilla kit will allow me to remove the front and rear wheels in the event of a flat. Have any of you put together your own kit that works for you. I have a 2018 R 1200 GSA and need advice on the best way to go in putting together a useful rider tool kit. Thanks for your help.

Toolkits

I have the one bmw specific tool kit by cruz has been very useful several times

My new bike 24 years older than your bike so do not know what needed on new bike

There have been some good threads on tool kits in the past; it might be helpful if you can find them. Some are minimalists, some carry a vast selection of tools; some have the skills, knowledge and abilities to diagnose and repair many problems; and some like me carry many tools in hopes that a capable mechanic will stumble upon me if I have a problem. Much of what can go wrong cannot be fixed on the roadside. Parts, many electronic in nature, are needed to fix common problems. Fixing a flat tire is a common problem that can be addressed on the road. So carry what you think you can use to rescue yourself, and always have a good tow plan that will take you and the bike to where it can be fixed... no mater how far away.

The link HERE is to JVB Productions (Jim Von Baden) where you will find a list of recommended tools to carry. Note the last column shows for which model line (Hexhead, Camhead, Wethead) the tool is recommended. I think the list errors on the side of too much, but then I do not have Jim's level of experience.

Adventure Designs tool kits seem to have it all.

Expensive
Complete for roadside work
And did I say expensive.

Might check theirs out for comparisons.

Their tool kit came in handy putting fuel pump controller bypass wire in an RT out in the boonies one time. A lot of stuff to take off to get at the fuel pump controller on an RT, don't you know. (paid for itself in one use possibly)

GD

Thank you guys. I now have a place to start Looking. As a long time Harley rider, I've accumulated everything I need for travel. This BMW stuff is all new to me. Thanks for your insight and patience with me.:clap

Thank you guys. I now have a place to start Looking. As a long time Harley rider, I've accumulated everything I need for travel. This BMW stuff is all new to me. Thanks for your insight and patience with me.:clap

You are now going to acquire a shop full of various metric tools. There are a lot of good previous posts to guide you in acquiring specific tools for your machine. All those Harley tools, except for the five different sizes of hammers, are now surplus. :)

Friedle

Yeah, those damn Harley Davidsons. If they could just get their act together they could probably move from having 50% of the market to 65% :rolleyes
OM

Truthfully not a whole lot you can do to a bmw with simple tools
My kit
Mini snap-on ratching screw driver with T15-25-30 bits along with Phillips and flat blade
Leatherman tool
Front axel tool
Spark plug socket and spare spark plugs
Patch kit along with electric tire pump
Mini start battery
Last 2 items are the only ones ever used
If your riding with a group not everyone needs to carry every tool

Jim

For every bike I think about a few things. First, what do I need for tire repairs. And not just a plug kit. What do I need to remove either wheel. That is in the kit. Second, are there any known issues with the specific model. Airheads - rotor removal tool. K bikes - how to get at a failed fan. Oilheads - how to remove final drive. And so forth.

When I was, for 20 years, writing my Bench Wrencing column I often said, and still believe that for any BMW, 90% or more is basic fundamental mechanics and 10% or less is model specific. An oil drain plug is still an oil drain plug and brake caliper bolts are still just brake caliper bolts.

My kit is and has almost always been overkill. I confess. But removing a broken starter ring gear at a rally so the rider could bump start the 600 miles home, or fixing a bad R1100GS ground under the battery tray and ABS unit at a rally were just what we/I did for years.

Even Voni hauled more tools than she knew how to use because somebody might know what to do with them if she needed help when traveling cross country alone.

Last edited:
Like Jim said above, there is just so much you can do on a BMW with rider's tools. All good advice from above. I'll keep it simple with a few basic tools and make sure I have the 800 phone number for road side assistance in case I need a tow. Being able to jump start the bike and fix a flat are important things that every rider should be able to perform while on the road. However, I am looking forward to many trouble free miles on my GS. Thanks for the input.:wave

Truthfully not a whole lot you can do to a bmw with simple tools
My kit
Mini snap-on ratching screw driver with T15-25-30 bits along with Phillips and flat blade
Leatherman tool
Front axel tool
Spark plug socket and spare spark plugs
Patch kit along with electric tire pump
Mini start battery
Last 2 items are the only ones ever used
If your riding with a group not everyone needs to carry every tool

Jim

Hi Jim
Your list has a mini start battery. Where would I find one of these?

The Promach tool includes an axle hex tool in addition to a stick coil puller.

The front axle tool fits the right side of the axle, 22mm, not the left side, 12mm.
The 19mm side of the axle tool will fit a F800.

On my R1200RS I need a tool for both sides of the axle, this may not be true for the R1200GS/GSA.

The front axle tool fits the right side of the axle, 22mm, not the left side, 12mm.
The 19mm side of the axle tool will fit a F800.

On my R1200RS I need a tool for both sides of the axle, this may not be true for the R1200GS/GSA.

Right you are.

Here is a link to the website with the exact details. The maker is a friend here in Montana. I need to tug on his chain to add the 12mm.

http://stores.promachdualtool.com/promach-dual-tool/

I have put close to 200,000 miles on Harleys the last few years, carried a bag of tools, tire plugs and compressor and never used them. My tool kit for my R1200RT is a cell phone and a credit card! I still have my Harley and the tool kit is going away in favor of the same tools as the RT!
The only times I have had trouble on the road I would have needed a fully equipped shop to do the repairs.

Back