Thread: Mirror Vibration Recall

Mirror Vibration Recall

Ducati has announced a recall of 2017 - 2019 SuperSport and SuperSport S models for vibrations that distort the images in the rear view mirrors. The recall number is 18V793. To quote from the defect notice filed by Ducati, "at certain vehicle speeds and engine RPMs, based on gear position, the image in the motorcycle’s rear-view mirrors can become distorted." Ducati will install new mirrors free of charge.

This has to be a first. Every motorcycle I have ridden has had this very problem. I wonder if this is being pushed by the new EU safety regulations.
    Karl
    2007 R1200ST

And Subaru is recalling 229,000 cars because of faulty fuel gauges. Some things just don't make sense.
    John Simonds
    2017 R 1200 GS Adventure
    1975 Norton Commando 850 Roadster Mk 3
    If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

Quote Originally Posted by junkjohn View Post
    And Subaru is recalling 229,000 cars because of faulty fuel gauges. Some things just don't make sense.
    Having stuff that actually works is important to some companies. For other companies, not-so-much.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Still plays with trains. tinytrains's Avatar
    A defective fuel gauge that says you have fuel you do not have, can cause your car to stop in traffic unexpectedly. That is a mandated recall.

Recently, my friend had a recall on the brake on a Honda bike, and the CA DMV would not let him renew his registration until it had been fixed.

As for vibrating mirrors, maybe there was a lawsuit.
    2009 R1200R Roadster

A vibration related recall????? That bodes ill for every Brit twin ever made.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl's MT Outpost
    2017 R1200GSA & 2013 FJR

Quote Originally Posted by tinytrains View Post
    A defective fuel gauge that says you have fuel you do not have, can cause your car to stop in traffic unexpectedly. That is a mandated recall.

Recently, my friend had a recall on the brake on a Honda bike, and the CA DMV would not let him renew his registration until it had been fixed.

As for vibrating mirrors, maybe there was a lawsuit.
    So? Why has there not been a mandatory recall of the BMW motorcycles with faulty fuel strips?
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    So? Why has there not been a mandatory recall of the BMW motorcycles with faulty fuel strips?
    It may have something to do with Subaru selling as many cars in a year as BMW sells motorcycles in a decade. Makes it easier/faster to hit a threshold for action.

Sorta like UDOT years ago denying the addition of a traffic light at an intersection that was on my way to work, telling us there had not yet been enough major accidents and fatalities at that junction to warrant a light.

There’s a light there now...

Best,
    DG
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST — 1984 R80 G/S PD — 1993 R100GS — 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C — 2010 K1300GT
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

Thank you, that was my whole point.
    John Simonds
    2017 R 1200 GS Adventure

It's not "officially" a safety problem, but BMW is certainly providing lots of new ones free anyway.

I frankly don't know if there is a law requiring fuel gauges on cars/trucks but have never seen one without. I rather doubt also that any state checks fuel gauge operation as part of periodic inspection or whether a highway patrol would check yours should s/he stop you for something else.

I do know that motorcycles can be sold without any fuel gauge at all, so it seems a logical conclusion a gauge failure couldn't officially be called a safety problem. (Mirrors are required equipment, right?)

Given presence of a trip meter function, I have little sympathy for those who are helpless without a gauge.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

For me it was not a helpless thing, but more of a paying 20+ thousand dollars and things not working as they should. My Norton is easy, you can open the cap and see what you got. It had no working speedo for years until I finally replaced the broken cable. But hell I am the second owner and only paid $1,500 in 1979 for it.
    John Simonds
    2017 R 1200 GS Adventure