• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2019 1250 GS brakes.

Just looked at a 2019 GS at the dealer and observed that the brake calipers no longer display the Brembo name. They simply are stamped BMW. Did BMW stop using Brembo brakes? I cannot find anything on the BMW specification sheets about a change of brake supplier. Any info appreciated.

Did BMW stop using Brembo brakes? .

The front calipers on the 2019 GS/GSA and RT are no longer Brembo they are U.S. made Hayes calipers.
The 2019 R1250RS and R still have Brembos front and back.

Last edited:
The different brakes are mentioned in this video at the 13:15 mark.

https://youtu.be/5WgugJQmRJA

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5WgugJQmRJA" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I just bought a 2019 R1250GSA as an upgrade from my 2007 GS. The new brakes are unbelievable. I hit the front brakes hard and it stopped straight and fast. They are very, very impressive. What surprises me is the data in the video above shows the brakes have a longer stopping distance than the Brembos. I suppose there are many variables that could account for the difference.

They are the people who patented the heavy truck and a year or two later the car disk brake in 1968 or so.

Lee: I would respectfully suggest that the statement be revised to read "a car disk brake". I don't doubt that Hayes patented a car disk brake circa 1968, but they weren't the first by any means. Predecessors included (per Wikipedia):

1951 Citroen DS was the first production car with disk brakes.

1953 Jaguar C-Type won LeMans with Dunlop disk brakes.

1955 Triumph TR-3 had Girling 4-wheel disk brakes.

Ride safe/have fun!

Brembo does not have any magic sauce. Disk brake calipers, rotors, pads are a MATURE product, there is no significant difference between brands. If you are racing brand B might be a very tiny bit better than brand A.

No worry as long as they still use quality components. If the get some profit driven jerk in the vendors purchasing dept, at any brand all bets are off.

Rod.

I just bought a 2019 R1250GSA as an upgrade from my 2007 GS. The new brakes are unbelievable. I hit the front brakes hard and it stopped straight and fast. They are very, very impressive. What surprises me is the data in the video above shows the brakes have a longer stopping distance than the Brembos. I suppose there are many variables that could account for the difference.
I haven't watched that video for a while now, but like many tests there are several things in it that unfortunately, don't lend themselves to much accuracy.

The two bikes were shod with different tires and the R1200GS tires were far more broken in (3,500 miles) than the R1250GS which had 760 miles at the end of the testing, but for the braking/acceleration testing, they looked virtually new and the brake pads/discs may have been as well. You can't do proper comparative testing that way. Also, any braking test will not show well for a tire that isn't well worn in compared to one that is virtually new tire (4%-5% worn) vs one that is 20% through it's wear. Even tread squirm is significantly different. Fuel ecomony also is at it's worst with such low mileage. The 1200 is definitely not completely broken in yet, but it is much farther along that route than the 1250, so again, apples to oranges.

As the brake pads are different part #'s. This doesn't necessarily mean that they are a different compound, possibly just a different shape due to the switch from Brembo to Hayes, but it is possible that there is a difference in the compound which can affect braking significantly. The only way to do a proper test of the brake calipers would be with identical tires of the same age with identical brake pads. The rotors are the same part # so that is a constant, but with the pads potentially being different and the tires definitely being not just different but also significantly different in wear, their braking test is meaningless. Just more internet fluff.

Hayes has been around in one form or another since the 30’s during WWll they manufactured most of the wheels and brakes for US aircraft
Hopefully there replacement pads will be a little less expensive

Jim

Back