January 2020 update: One of the mistakes I made during the rebuild was that removing the holes on the trunk lid where the luggage rack mounted I fiberglassed the outside, but not the inside. Months later I noticed slight dimpling in the paint where those four holes had been. I opened the trunk and sure enough, the inside had four holes glaring at me.


Out came the grinding wheel. The area around each hole was carefully ground down about half the thickness of the lid to give the new fiberglass a fresh surface to adhere to. A drop of resin was added to each hole, then each was carefully glassed over with three layers of matting.


Once the repair had cured, the lid was flipped rightside up and masking tape was applied over the area where the luggage rack legs would touch. The positions were slightly different than the original installation as the rack had been designed to fit a flat topcase, while the trunk lid of my sidecar had a slight curve to it. Those legs had been heated with a rosebud torch and bent (carefully since they were only brazed to the rack) to the angle needed to match the curve of the lid. Center points of x and y axes were marked on the tape.


I thought about creating a template for the new mounting positions by simply applying ink to the legs and pressing it onto a large piece of paper. That might have been easier but I had another idea. I took four 6mm bolts and machined them to points. By screwing them into the threaded legs the rack assembly would become a quadruple center punch.


Perfect! Next the scratches from the Tennessee rally were buffed out of the paint, wax was applied, and the rack installed. Since Glenlivet and I will be on the road for three months this year, the extra storage space will come in handy.


See you all in Great Falls!