Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Refreshing Glenlivet's ride

'99 '03 '06 National Co-Rally Chair Friedle's Avatar
    Who did that original wiring work? Maybe the Stevie Wonder Automotive Electrical Wiring Shop ? Might as well just do everything in black and then shrink wrap everything......twice.

Friedle
    Ride fast safely

Registered User RIDERR1150GSADV's Avatar
    Those connectors tell me some amateur was at work. Crimp connectors are fine but they should be the marine kind that have shrink tubing making them waterproof. As to the other ones, they have no place anywhere but a trash can.
    At least you can redo everything the right way like all the work you have done so far..
    MOA # 108516
    Current ride 2018 R1200 GSA Triple Black
    Past rides '04 R1150RT, '05 K1200LT, '06 R1150GSA, 17 R1200RT

TravelsWithBarley.com
    A couple of discoveries today. When the temp is minus 20F and the temp in the garage is minus 2F, those Scotchlock connectors are frozen stiff and difficult to work with. Got one off before my fingers got stiff from the cold. Fairly easy to remove, but the hard part is freeing the wire from the little metal guillotine without too much damage. I'll continue the job when the weather warms up to the point where the woodstove can create a comfortable working environment.

The second discovery is that at minus 20F Miyagi-San's shop heating system has a hard time. He uses radiant floor heating which is wonderful, but doesn't respond very quickly to setting changes. At 58F we were comfortable, but the temp was too low for any bodywork aside from sanding. Using my infrared heater I was able to heat small sections of the sidecar enough to work on, but it was slow going.

My first challenge was softening a curve on the portside of the nose. Hannigan's mold had a hard angle on that side and a much softer curve on the starboard side. I liked the soft lines, so used the DA sander to eliminate the hard chine then plastic filler to soften the curve. I'm getting pretty good at this, so the work went quickly.

Jan13A.jpg

With the lines of the tub looking all sleek and sexy it was time to eliminate the tiny pinholes. I'd warm one section of two feet or so, use the blow gun to get dust out of every minute imperfection, then apply a thin layer of polyester glaze (icing). The glaze was much less viscous than filler, sort of like a watery cake frosting. One pass with considerable pressure to force the glaze into pinholes and sandpaper scratches,then another pass using less pressure to leave a thin film behind.

Jan13B.jpg

After it dried in 20 minutes or so I sanded the rough edges with 80 grit, then dropped down to 120 and 180 grit. Because the temp forced me to work on small sections I'll save the final 280 grit sanding for after the entire tub has been glazed.

Jan13C.jpg
    '18 R1200GSA and '12 R1200GSA for solo rides
    '10 R1200GSA with Hannigan sidecar for rides with Glenlivet
    '15 Honda CRF250L for exploring places I'm afraid to take the big GSA!
    http://travelswithbarley.com/

TravelsWithBarley.com
    I got a bit more of the tub glazed today, then took a break to help fix a neighbor's excavator. It warmed up to 21F today, and in the warm spell the locals scrambled to break up ice so the streams wouldn't overflow and flood homes. One hard working kid struggling to get his business off the ground broke his excavator so loaded it on a flatbed and brought it up to the shop to see if Miyagi-San could fix it well enough to let him take care of an emergency. We sandblasted the rusted parts outside, then brought it inside so my mentor could make temporary repairs. In an hour the kid was on his way with a big grin on his face. One of the things I love about rural Vermont is neighbors help each other simply because that's what neighbors do.

Jan15A.jpg
    Jan15B.jpg

Tired of sanding, I moved on to the tug's skidplate. The original was very narrow and the bottom of the bike as well as the subframe was always covered with road grime and parts of it sandblasted by grit kicked up by the front tire. I reused the pair of mounts from Claude's shop, but needed mounts in the rear so the aluminum plate wouldn't vibrate and drive me crazy on long rides. Instead of welding another cross-piece in the back, I used the milling machine to drill and tap holes in the aft subframe. Rubber bushings between the mounts and the skidplate will shield the soft aluminum from wearing through from all the vibration.

Jan15C.jpg
    Jan15D.jpg
    Jan15E.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by glenfiddich View Post
    One of the things I love about rural Vermont is neighbors help each other simply because that's what neighbors do.
    I think living in an area with extreme weather conditions inspires that sort of behavior. I felt the same way about living in the interior of Alaska.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl's MT Outpost
    2017 R1200GSA & 2013 FJR

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    I think living in an area with extreme weather conditions inspires that sort of behavior.
    Obsessive compulsive. But we all love it.
    Last edited by Rinty; 01-16-2019 at 02:57 PM.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

The nice old Ford truck needs a cover
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

TravelsWithBarley.com
    With luck I've found and filled all the little defects from the original manufacturing process. The pinholes in the plastic filler have been corrected with a skim layer of polyester glaze. Unfortunately, the glaze is white and scratches were proving very difficult to see...and doing the coarse sanding with 80 grit left plenty of scratches! So today, when I thought the tub had been well sanded and my tired old eyes weren't finding anymore defects, I sprayed the tub with guide coat. Guide coat is a sandable primer that comes out in tiny speckles instead of a smooth coat. As you sand it, the specks quickly disappear from the good sections but linger in pinholes, scratches and low spots. Here's the tub with the guide coat applied after I felt my sanding job was as good as it could be.

Jan16A.jpg

Just a few seconds of sanding removed the guide coat from the good sections and revealed several scratches from the 80 grit sandpaper. Those scratches would need to be sanded with 180 grit.

Jan16B.jpg

Less than a minute later, the 180 grit had removed those scratches and I was able to move on to the next section. My goal is to minimize the number of defects exposed by the first primer coat that will have to be resanded and reprimed. I'm not sure at this point if I'll be using regular paint or metallic, but if I go metallic those scratches cannot be unseen.

Jan16C.jpg

This is going to be the most beautiful sidecar in the history of motorcycling. Just sayin'...

Can't wait to see the final product.
    Larry Gregerson; Bend, OR
    MOA #93031

TravelsWithBarley.com
    Quote Originally Posted by powwow View Post
    This is going to be the most beautiful sidecar in the history of motorcycling. Just sayin'...
    Thanks, but I'm sure it will be battle scarred by the time we reach Tennessee this summer!

A short day today as we have a major storm rolling in tomorrow and I had to (a) push snowbanks back to make room for more snow, (b) get gas and diesel tanks topped off, (c) lay in extra sheep and chicken feed, and (d) pick up some essentials like bread, milk, eggs, peanut butter and beer. But I did manage to fix a few pinholes and scratches on the tub...and find a few more. Still, it won't be long before it's ready for a coat of epoxy primer!

Instead of bolting the small skidplate back onto the lightbar I decided to weld it. Four welds through the bolt holes, then a two inch butt weld along each side. I figured it was never removed anyway, so why not permanently attach the darned thing.

Speaking of epoxy primer, I hung all the metal parts in the paint booth (bike and tub subframe, and metal mount support bars to mate the tub to the subframe), fired up the heater to bring them all up to temp, then applied two coats of primer. All those pieces-parts are curing overnight and will be ready for the finish coat. I'm still undecided between chip guard (the rocker panel stuff) with a painted finish, or going with bedliner. I'm leaning toward the bedliner as it is easily repaired and would cover those horrible welds full of pits and splatter done by a welder who must have been on his second case of Budweiser at the time.

Jan18.jpg

Welder

My sister lives in Murray so I have been there many times. From what I heard starting salaries are at Pella or Briggs & Stratton ( 2 large employers in Murray) I am guessing Bud would be way to expensive for Hannigan workers thinking Keystone or Milwaukee’s Best

What color will you paint the bike and sidecar?
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878

TravelsWithBarley.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    What color will you paint the bike and sidecar?
    I prefer yellow for the visibility. Sidecars aren't as nimble as bikes, and with my precious cargo I want to be seen. (Though even with the bright color and four Clearwater lights up front I've still had drivers turn left in front of us!) The challenge is finding just the right yellow. It's not the most popular color in the motor vehicle market, and yellows with pearl or metallic in them are even more rare. Toyota has a nice one this year they call Solar Flare Pearl. Porsche's Yellow Saffron Metallic is incredibly lovely, but I can't find the paint code anywhere. I suspect since that color is an $11,500 upgrade on the Carrera that's it's a proprietary paint only sold through Porsche. But they also have Racing Yellow on the 2018 line; it's not a metallic but is very bright

And yes, the bike will be painted to match.

Yellow is a good choice.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878