Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Refreshing Glenlivet's ride

Looking good.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Some good work there, and I like where you are going with the mods. One comment on the vent: if it is like the one on my Hannigan, there is no filtration to stop bugs or to stop roadway debris being flipped up into the vent. So for example, if your front tire happens to hit a cow pattie or horse flop because you have no other place to go, that impact can flip debris up into the vent and into the car. DAMHIKT. I’m betting Glenlivet would be unhappy in that situation, too.

I have looked at trying to incorporate some kind of filtering or dense screening into that vent but am afraid it may render the vent ineffective. With your added scoop that likely wouldn’t be an issue for you. Just musing here...

Great work so far, please continue to let us follow along!
    Best,
    DG
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST — 1984 R80 G/S-PD — 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C — 2010 K1300GT — 2018 R1200GS
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

TravelsWithBarley.com
    Quote Originally Posted by GTRider View Post
    Some good work there, and I like where you are going with the mods. One comment on the vent: if it is like the one on my Hannigan, there is no filtration to stop bugs or to stop roadway debris being flipped up into the vent. So for example, if your front tire happens to hit a cow pattie or horse flop because you have no other place to go, that impact can flip debris up into the vent and into the car. DAMHIKT. I’m betting Glenlivet would be unhappy in that situation, too.

I have looked at trying to incorporate some kind of filtering or dense screening into that vent but am afraid it may render the vent ineffective. With your added scoop that likely wouldn’t be an issue for you. Just musing here...

Best,
    DG
    Good points, and with the increased airflow I might actually be able to incorporate some sort of screen without compromising ventilation. I'll ask Miyagi-San and see if he has any ideas. Of course the goal is to avoid running over flops of any type. So far I've been able to do that, most often by flying the sidecar wheel over it. There was, however, that time I startled a wild turkey and his incredibly malodorous poop went right into my helmet vent! Nothing I did got rid of the smell, and I eventually tossed the helmet.
    '18 R1200GSA for solo rides
    '12 R1200GSA with Hannigan sidecar for rides with Glenlivet
    '15 Honda CRF250L for exploring places I'm afraid to take the big GSA!
    http://travelswithbarley.com/

TravelsWithBarley.com
    Minimal progress today as several town residents urgently needed snowplows repaired. My welding skills are not there yet, but I could help with cutting and bending metal for Miyagi-San to weld.

I did, however, manage to glass over a few holes that had not seen a bolt in years. I handled them the same way I did the seam; grind a shallow groove then glass over. Later I'll sand to match the surrounding profile. Here's before and after shots showing a couple of holes being patched as well as a ding in the fender base being repaired.

Friday1.jpg
    Friday2.jpg

While those were curing I took several shots of the sidecar and bike subframes. I'll print those out and tomorrow annotate them with careful measurements of the removable parts: length, angles in relation to the subframe, number of threads exposed, etc. That way I can remove the small parts, treat them in my sandblast cabinet, then prime and paint them with some idea of how the parts go back together. Not being a sidecar design expert, and not being particularly mechanically inclined, I use the iPad to capture images of everything I do, every screw and bolt and latch on the rig. With luck (and reading glasses) it will all go back together.

Friday3.jpg
    Friday4.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider View Post

Best,
    DG
    I don't know...if Glenlivet is anything like every dog I've ever had (including my current Fynlee), he would welcome a little poop in the tub and give thanks for the snack.
    Larry Gregerson; Bend, OR
    MOA #93031

Poop

Quote Originally Posted by powwow View Post
    I don't know...if Glenlivet is anything like every dog I've ever had (including my current Fynlee), he would welcome a little poop in the tub and give thanks for the snack.
    Or at least try to roll in it

TravelsWithBarley.com
    Quote Originally Posted by 179212 View Post
    Or at least try to roll in it
    Glenlivet is gratifyingly neat in his personal habits.

'99 '03 '06 National Co-Rally Chair Friedle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glenfiddich View Post
    Glenlivet is gratifyingly neat in his personal habits.
    I know a few people who would benefit from your training techniques.

Friedle
    Ride fast safely

TravelsWithBarley.com
    It was a messy day, with rain compressing the snow and freezing on contact with bare ground, rendering driveways into skating rinks. It was a good day to just hunker down and deal with the nasty task of grinding down all those fiberglass repairs and modifications. Donning coveralls and rubber gloves, cuffs taped, dust mask and eye protection in place, I did Sand The Floor for hours. It was worth it!

Dec3A.jpg

First with a grinder, then with a DA sander I worked on the seam around the tub.

Dec3B.jpg

Then on to the patch that filled the hole where the OEM recessed headlight had been. Miyagi-San stopped me before I thought I had removed enough to show me the problem wasn't that my patch was too thick, but that the Hannigan tub had a low spot near the middle of the nose. Sometimes he sees defects like that, and sometimes he discovers them by feel. I'm so fortunate to have his expertise in my corner!

Dec3C.jpg

The scoop took form as I sanded, but Miyagi-San wasn't happy with the transition between the tub and the swell, so the low spot will be filled with glass matting then resanded.

Dec3D.jpg

You can see how far off the back seam was in this photo. On the left side of the trunk all that remains of the fiberglass repair is about an inch, while the misaligned right side needed much more glass to cover it. Dead center is a low spot that will need another layer of glass.

Dec3E.jpg
    Dec3F.jpg

The fender also had a few low spots that needed more attention.

Dec3G.jpg

And the previously identified low spot on the truck was patched.

TravelsWithBarley.com
    With just a few more tiny fiberglass repairs to line up on the tub, and the glass repairs so far ground or sanded to near their final form, I moved on to filler. I used Chrome a Lite, a two-part filler that dries in minutes and can be sanded to identify high spots that need more sanding, and to fill slight depressions. The initial layer is very thin and applied with moderate pressure so it completely fills pinholes; once that's done it's much like spreading frosting on a cake, albeit one with curves and hollows.

Dec4A.jpg
    Dec4B.jpg
    It's a bit easier to spread (and sand) on flat surfaces like the back of the tub.

Fifteen minutes under a heat lamp and it's ready to sand. And sand. And sand. I use a dual action sander only to knock off the ridges. After that it's all done by hand, using care to follow existing curves. After a few minutes of sanding high spots in the fiberglass begin to show through the green filler. Those high spots are then ground or sanded down till slightly below grade, then another layer of filler is applied, allowed to dry, and sanded till the desired curvature is obtained with no high spots showing or detected by feel.

Dec4C.jpg

To the right in the above photo you can see where I've sanded down a large high spot to reveal the pink glass beneath (and some of the black gelcoat). An additional coat of filler will be applied to that area, then sanded till it matches the contour of the rest of the fender, which at this point is just about perfect.

I'm impressed with all the effort you're putting into this. But it's all a labour of love, for the dogs, eh?
    Rinty

TravelsWithBarley.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Rinty View Post
    I'm impressed with all the effort you're putting into this. But it's all a labour of love, for the dogs, eh?
    It is for the love of a dog, yes. I'd travel with my wife, but find her screams distracting. Glenlivet has absolute faith in my riding abilities, never criticizes my dietary choices, listens to my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard, and snuggles better.

Looking at all your pictures gives me a memory smell of working in an auto body shop 30+ years ago. Oh to grind on a Corvette again. Good job, I like what you are doing.
    John Simonds
    2017 R 1200 GS Adventure
    1975 Norton Commando 850 Roadster Mk 3
    If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

TravelsWithBarley.com
    Maybe I shouldn't have started on the most difficult part. Those compound curves on the fender just seemed to leave me frustrated today! I'd get a curve perfect, but identify a high spot on another part of the fender, apply a layer of filler, let it dry, and in the process of sanding the bad spot would alter the previously perfect curve. More filler, more sanding, and the same mistake would surface in a different spot.

Dec5C.jpg

After four attempts Miyagi-San took pity on me (or noticed I was using up his filler) and with four deft strokes applied a perfect layer of filler.

Dec5D.jpg

I'll leave it overnight and get a fresh start in the morning. Meanwhile there were holes in the trunk lid that needed to be filled. The luggage rack I used was designed for a Givi topcase, and two of the mounts were angled. I got them to work, but the fasteners and mounts didn't line up. Gotta get it perfect, so heated the rack and straightened the mounts, then sanded a shallow depression over the existing holes and glassed over them. After the tub has been reassembled I'll remount the luggage rack with all the pieces-parts properly aligned.

Dec5A.jpg
    Dec5B.jpg

In the process of sanding the tub I exposed an air bubble on the leading edge of the air scoop. After carefully cutting out the weak spot I realized there wasn't enough material left, so will use what's left as a framework to support another few layers of fiberglass matting, then will form the leading edge with fiberglass cloth.

Dec5E.jpg

Dec5F.jpg
    Miyagi-San had some filler left over, so I used it on the rear quarter of the tub

Dec5G.jpg
    Frontal view with the lid gently put in place so you can see the new look. Notice the slight bulge of the air scoop behind the nose to the right in the photo. Kolbock, the shop dog, ensures I put all my stuff away at the end of each day by picking up and relocating tools left out.

I'll get a good night's sleep and start fresh in the morning.

'99 '03 '06 National Co-Rally Chair Friedle's Avatar
    Have you realized yet that when the chair is all finished, by comparison the bike will look like crap and the whole process will start over once again ???

Friedle
    Ride fast safely