Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Refreshing Glenlivet's ride

TravelsWithBarley.com
    The days are getting longer and I sense the approach of riding season, so must get going. I can no longer afford to take a day off when the weather promises fun sledding with the dogs!

Mar4B.jpg

Miyagi-San informed me that he wants to do the polishing lest I, in my inexperienced exuberance, burn through that beautiful paint job forcing us to do it all over again. I'm okay with that...since he won't let me practice on his Ferrari. So today was spent in my garage carefully tracing wires from the old bike to the sidecar harness and creating a translation table. "White wire from sidecar changes to blue after the connector on the bike, then to green after the splice leading to the taillight." Of course in the process I'll standardize wire colors wherever possible, or at least eliminate sections of wire with extra splices. I'll be using those connectors that have low-temp solder in the middle with watertight seals near the ends of shrink wrap.

Mar4A.jpg
    '18 R1200GSA for solo rides
    '12 R1200GSA with Hannigan sidecar for rides with Glenlivet
    '15 Honda CRF250L for exploring places I'm afraid to take the big GSA!
    http://travelswithbarley.com/

Don't you just love it when someone adds to the wiring, but doesn't keep the same color end to end?

I bought a used Unigo trailer to pull behind my R1200RT and it had a bad case of shade tree mechanic wiring. I cut it all back to a point where it made sense and bought a few small rolls of wire and replaced what I needed to to make it easier to deal with. I cut in a small Molex connector under the seat so I can remove the harness from the bike and all the colors match from the point where they join the bike's harness until the wires reach the light socket on the trailer.

Registered User RIDERR1150GSADV's Avatar
    It amazes me how some people wire up things and don't match at least the wire colors...
    Often an electrical issue can be attributed to bad wiring or bad connections like a bad ground wire.
    MOA # 108516
    Current ride 2018 R1200 GSA Triple Black
    Past rides '04 R1150RT, '05 K1200LT, '06 R1150GSA, ‘17 R1200RT

Or even worse, I once bought a VW bug that the PO had rewired entirely with blue wires to match the paint job.
    Mike Currin
    93 K1100RS / EML Speed 2000 sidecar
    06 Ducati ST3
    67 Triumph 650 Chopper

Was it baby blue or royal blue wires?

'99 '03 '06 National Co-Rally Chair Friedle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EUGENE View Post
    Was it baby blue or royal blue wires?
    Baby blue wires only flow electrons from left to right. Royal blue wires flow electrons from right to left only.

Friedle
    Ride fast safely

Registered User RIDERR1150GSADV's Avatar
    ^ That’s just funny stuff right there....
    MOA # 108516
    Current ride 2018 R1200 GSA Triple Black
    Past rides '04 R1150RT, '05 K1200LT, '06 R1150GSA, ‘17 R1200RT

Great thread. Currently my favorite. Informative, interesting, funny, just plain good.

Keep up the GOOD work, you've uncovered a lot of things that needed attention. Probably will be the most cared for hack out there this summer. Looks like there's hardly a place to stack the snow. We're getting another foot Sat. Thanx.

TravelsWithBarley.com
    Like all rural Vermonters, Miyagi-San helps those in need when he can. Since he has a full machine shop, is an expert at stick/MIG/TIG and OxyAcetylene welding, and is very outgoing...folks in need sort of drop in with every minor disaster. Today he was visited by a cheese maker who has won International competitions for his products. It seems their small tanker truck used to haul milk had such a severe rust issue that the battery box fell apart and the pair of enormous batteries were dangling by the hot and ground cables! So he fabricated an enclosed replacement battery box out of 3/16 steel, sandblasted it, painted it and with my help installed it in the decrepit diesel truck. When he started it in his clean shop the truck shook like a dog and it seemed like POUNDS of rust scale fell to the ground. But the batteries stayed put, and that's the important thing. With that task out of the way he turned to the sidecar tub.

Miyagi-San insisted on using the buffer and a series of compounds to bring the paint back to the high gloss state after my wet sanding to eliminate tiny defects in the clear coat. It seems the last time he let an amateur use his buffer he had to repaint a previously near perfect Porsche Carrera. He did not want a repeat of that experience and to be perfectly honest, neither did I. Today he went over the tub with rubbing compound. Next is cutting polish, then an extremely fine grained glaze. It's essentially sanding with increasingly finer grits, but in liquid form instead of being stuck to paper.

MAR7B.jpg
    Before: the finish is dull from me wet sanding with 1000/1500/2400 grit paper.

MAR7C.jpg
    Miyagi-San going to town with the buffer.

MAR7D.jpg
    The bike side (with scoop) looking much better after the first round.

MAR7E.jpg
    The side the public most often sees looking particularly good. There are some sections with hard edges that will have to be done by hand. I get to do those parts. Tomorrow we tackle the clamshell, the trunk lid, and the fender...then do it all over again with a finer grit.
    Last edited by glenfiddich; 03-09-2019 at 12:23 PM.

Wow!

TravelsWithBarley.com
    A full day of buffing and polishing today. It's oddly tiring, with that monotonous whir of the buffer, the swaying motion of keeping it moving so the paint isn't burned, the boredom of inactivity while struggling to remain mentally sharp so you catch and correct all the tiny imperfections. I can see why beer is often a staple in body shops. We started with a rubbing compound by 3M called Perfect-It, then switched to Ultra Cutting Creme, then Ultra Polish, and finally Machine Polish, the last three by Presta. First the tub, then the clamshell, then the fender, and finally the trunk lid, working our way through the grits on each piece.

MAR7B.jpg
    Tub after the first full round of the 3M product. It took about three hours to work our way through all four products, doing the top then flipping the tub over to better reach the bottom half.

MAR8C.jpg
    MAR8D.jpg
    By the time we reached the Ultra Polish it looked pretty good

MAR8E.jpg
    MAR8H.jpg
    And by the time we put the parts up for the night the depth of that shine was jawdropping gorgeous!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Nice.
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

TravelsWithBarley.com
    It was a gloriously sunny day with highs two degrees above freezing, which passes for a heat wave in Vermont! I took a short day in the shop as Kazoo had feasted on a deer carcass and barfed it all up...and while I was fussing over him Glenlivet scarfed up Kazoo's vomit. Ten minutes later the recycled vomit came up again and before Tulliver could recycle it a third time I scooped it up and put in in the poop bucket out of reach. It might sound gross to some, but dog people can relate and accept it as a fact of life.

MAR9C.jpg
    MAR9B.jpg
    I started installing weatherstripping and hardware this afternoon, but soon ran into an issue. The replacement cockpit strip Hannigan had sent wouldn't seat in one short section. I tried several times, then eventually peeled it back to find a two inch region that had been crushed. Rusting metal was visible in that area, and it was clear it couldn't be salvaged. I sent pix and an explanation of the issue to Hannigan, and am sure they will make it right.

MAR9E.jpg
    Next I installed the trunk lid but it was crooked. I removed the latch and striker plate to eliminate that variable. Once I get things straightened out I'll reinstall those parts taking care that they don't through the alignment back off. But it was very cool to see just that tiny lid back in place!

MAR9D.jpg
    The holes for the clamshell latch screws had been covered in the fiberglass phase, so I redrilled them from the inside where the outlines of the original holes were still visible as light spots. As the drill bit broke through it chipped the paint. Though the chip will be covered by the hinges, I coated the wounds with epoxy primer.

TravelsWithBarley.com
    Slow but steady progress. I can't take any huge leaps forward till the subframe is painted with chipguard, and being low on propane we can't fire up the paint booth till the next delivery. Unfortunately the driver of the propane tanker is from Massachusetts and while he has seen snow before, he is intimidated by snow that falls on hillsides. Twice now he has reached the base of Miyagi-San's hill and fled in abject terror. He's supposed to try again tomorrow, so we will ensure the hill is freshly plowed and sand has been spread for traction.

MAR12B.JPG

In the meanwhile I'm reattaching little parts: the twist-locks for the tonneau cover, the front and rear marker lights, the hinges and piston for the clamshell. I've also installed the new and improved brake/tail lights

MAR11A.jpg
    MAR11B.jpg

Unfortunately, in the process of riveting the twist-locks in place, my hand slipped and the rivet gun hit the side of the tub creating a small scratch clear down to the primer. If it didn't happen today it would have been another scratch from another incident, and this is exactly the reason I opted for a solid paint instead of a pearl or metallic. My batch of DupliColor touch up paint in Dodge Viper Yellow is on order and will arrive in a week or so.

In the above photos you can see the marker light is black with a clear lens. I thought it would complement the black subframe, but it clashed with the other hardware, all of which is chrome. So I polished the old set and reinstalled them. I like them better with chrome trim.

MAR12C.JPG