Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11

Thread: Refreshing Glenlivet's ride

TravelsWithBarley.com
    The day didn't start well, but rallied in the afternoon. We've had a bit of snow this year. It's been melting for two days but we still have three feet on the ground...and on the roof of Miyagi-San's shop. As the day warmed up (it hit 50 today!) that snow melt formed a liquid layer on the roof. Liquid is a lubricant, and that mass of snow and ice slid off the roof with a HUGE crash! Unfortunately, it also sheared off the exhaust pipe to the paint booth. We had "fixed" it earlier this winter with a nylon strap holding the insulated pipe to a cricket on the roof, but even with the insulation that pipe got hot enough to melt the strap, so by the time the snow and ice hit it there was nothing holding it in place but hope and glory. That proved about as effective as thoughts and prayers.

So I lifted him to the roof with his forklift, then dismounted and ran inside to stand on top of the paint booth with self-tapping screws and a drill. It was rather harrowing, as it was still slick on the roof and every time Miyagi-San started sliding I imagined him going over the side and falling eighteen feet to the ground. But he managed to stick the pipe back through the hole in the roof and replace the melted strap with braided cable and a turnbuckle while I drove several screws to secure the sections of pipe from inside. With that, the paint booth was again operational and the subframe received three coats of satin black chipguard, that tough paint used on the rocker panels of trucks.

MAR15A.jpg
    Bike subframe

MAR15B.jpg
    Tub subframe

MAR15C.jpg
    Tub skidplate and lightbar

It will cure overnight. Tomorrow, barring more weather-related mishaps, I can begin the work of putting it back together. With luck, I'll have no leftover parts this time.
    '18 R1200GSA for solo rides
    '12 R1200GSA with Hannigan sidecar for rides with Glenlivet
    '15 Honda CRF250L for exploring places I'm afraid to take the big GSA!
    http://travelswithbarley.com/

TravelsWithBarley.com
    Mar16C.jpg

It was almost a banner day. The subframe's chipguard coating had cured overnight, so I dragged all the pieces-parts out of the paint booth, carefully laid them out on an old blanket, then started arranging the bits that bolted up to the subframe. It was then I noticed I'd forgotten to chipguard a bracket that served as the upper attachment for both the sidecar shock and the electric camber control unit. I'd used up all the chipguard yesterday, but had several struts hanging in the booth ready to paint satin black. Since the offending bracket mounts pretty high and doesn't get pummeled by grit, I figured paint would be good enough.

So those parts now have a hardened basecoat and will cure overnight.Interestingly, PPG used to recommend laying down a basecoat, then adding hardener to the clearcoat. For applications like this that are subject to abuse they are now recommending no clearcoat, and adding the hardener directly to the basecoat. So we gave the new method a try. Will let you know how it holds up in five years.

Mar16B.jpg

There wasn't much else to do and watching paint dry isn't particularly productive. I installed the altered light bar to the subframe, admired the sidecar's shiny paint job from multiple angles, then left for the day, stopping by a hardware store on my way home to pick up some odds and ends I'll need tomorrow.

Mar16D.jpg

TravelsWithBarley.com
    I felt pretty worn out this morning when I arrived at the shop. Felt like I needed a few days off. Or perhaps it was the multiple shots of tequila last night coupled with dread of things mechanical that I had little experience with.

But as the wheel hub assembly was painstakingly put back together- with occasional colorful language as I realized some parts had been installed incorrectly or out of sequence - I let go of the stress of a self-imposed timeline and started enjoying myself again. The brake caliper was rebuilt, new pads installed, the swingarm reinstalled, the shock and camber control unit bolted into place. The bolt at the lower shock mount had always been too close to the subframe so I removed the thickness of a washer from the head on a lathe. Tentatively. With great care to keep my clutch and throttle hands out of harms way of that strange machine that created miracles. When I got stumped by something I'd sit in a beach chair and ponder the situation. Eventually the solution would come to me. Like why the heck won't the brake caliper pistons retract so I can slip the new pads over the rotor? Oh, the brake line quick disconnect doesn't allow leakage; open the bleeder numbskull!

In the past I drew diagrams and took copious notes, but for this project I relied on many photos taken with an iPad. Today I discovered that most of the photos did not show the particular areas I needed to see, so there was much trial fitting of parts using various fasteners...and a few half hour drives to the nearest hardware store in search of a replacement fastener. But the day ended with a feeling of accomplishment.

MAR18A.jpg

MAR18B.jpg