Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Refreshing Glenlivet's ride

After this, you'll be so good at working with fibreglass that you'll have to find an old Sting Ray to restore.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

TravelsWithBarley.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Friedle View Post
    Have you realized yet that when the chair is all finished, by comparison the bike will look like crap and the whole process will start over once again ???

Friedle
    The chair will be transferred to my 2012 GSA, which will be painted to match. So I hope the rig will pass muster...

And Rinty - the board I use to mix and hold the filler is a square cut out of an old Corvette Stingray hood!
    '18 R1200GSA and '12 R1200GSA for solo rides
    '10 R1200GSA with Hannigan sidecar for rides with Glenlivet
    '15 Honda CRF250L for exploring places I'm afraid to take the big GSA!
    http://travelswithbarley.com/

Nice work! Would it help to incorporate a metal bead into the leading edge of the scoop, just to help protect it from impacts or pressures?

Best,
    DG
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST 1984 R80 G/S PD 1993 R100GS 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C 2010 K1300GT
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

TravelsWithBarley.com
    Quote Originally Posted by GTRider View Post
    Nice work! Would it help to incorporate a metal bead into the leading edge of the scoop, just to help protect it from impacts or pressures?

Best,
    DG
    Not a bad idea! That area, especially in left turns, gets a bit of road grit thrown at it.

TravelsWithBarley.com
    Success at last! After a restful night of Scotch-assisted sleep it all came together this morning. The Chromealite filler behaved itself during sanding and was carefully blown free of all dust to prepare for the next step.

DEC6A.JPG

A two-part poly with the consistency of Elmer's Glue was applied. It flowed into every little scratch and pinhole, hardening in a few minutes.

DEC6B.JPG

While much harder to sand, by the time I stepped down to 220 grit it looked fantastic! I'm very pleased with how the fender's curves flow into each other!

Yesterday's fiberglass patches on the trunk lid were sanded flat with a DA, then covered with a layer of filler which will be sanded down tomorrow. I had some filler left, so before it hardened I covered a few small patches on the tub.

DEC6C.JPG
    DEC6D.JPG

Once the sanding is done, those parts can be set aside so the tub can go back on the work table. I'll prop it up till I have a good angle for filling in the large air bubble on the scoop.

TravelsWithBarley.com
    With the filler on the fender and the fender's curves all looking good, it was time to find and fill the pinholes and small depressions with polyester glaze (sometimes called icing). The white spots you see below are minuscule defects filled with glaze.

Dec7A.jpg

Then I sanded the plastic filler covering a multitude of small fiberglass repairs. It took some time because of the compound curves (the shot below starts as a concave curve but as you drop down a few inches it reverses to convex), plus the awkwardness of trying to hold the sidecar in place with one foot while using both hands to control the long board sander.

Dec7B.jpg

Some more sanding on the seam between the sidecar halves. The plastic looks good, but all those small holes will need to be filled with glaze.

Dec7C.jpg

Another go at the trunk lid got it looking better.

Dec7D.jpg

All this sanding makes for an unholy mess!

Dec7E.jpg

Then on to the air bubble on the air scoop. Flashing back to the dental rotation of my Navy medical training, I carefully removed all the "decay," then bevelled the edge for better adhesion.

Dec7F.jpg

Resin was worked into the far reaches of the cavity, then using popsicle sticks I worked fiberglass matt into the void, tamping it down with resin and adding layer after layer till the depression was gone.

Dec7G.jpg

On Monday I'll grind off the whiskers, smooth out the contours, and rebuild the leading edge of the scoop

But we needed a day off, so this morning Glenlivet and I drove (it was ten below zero so no bike) the four hours down to join Max BMW in Hoosick NY for their winter celebration!

Dec8.jpg

He's in smell heaven! And was probably the toast of the party.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

TravelsWithBarley.com
    Another "Step Back" day. It's Sunday, so a short day was planned. I was going to sand a bit, but the more I sanded the more flex I noticed on the scoop where there shouldn't have been any. So I whipped out the dental drill on steroids and cut away a small section that gave a bit when I pressed it. Found a void beneath it and kept extracting more till I reached "healthy tissue". It was a huge hole! It looks like the portion of the foam mold that had been backed with duct tape just sort of dissolved as the resin had cured; the foam with the 3M adhesive was still intact, but the entire area had to be fixed.

It's funny how military training comes in handy long after your service is over. Oddly enough it's my training as a Navy Independent Duty Corpsman, and not the later more focused PA training, that I fall back on most often. While I only had one dental emergency on the ships I served - EN2 Rodriguez broke BM3 Ramirez' eye tooth when a tough spare rib he was trying to pull apart gave way suddenly - we spent a lot of time practicing the art of removing cavities. Removing the weak portions of the scoop reminded me a lot of that. I didn't get a photo of the hole as I had rubber gloves on at the time and the iPhone requires skin contact to come to life, but below is a photo of the hole half filled as I mixed another batch of resin. It's about 2.5 inches wide by 3.5 inches long.

Dec9A.jpg

Once again I used popsicle sticks to wedge the glass matting into the edges of the abscess. Layer after layer of matting built up the patch till at the end the repair was about 5mm above the surrounding area. Tomorrow I'll grind it down and sculpt it, secure in the knowledge that the scoop now has a solid foundation.

Dec9B.jpg

TravelsWithBarley.com
    With a moment of silence for my friends who have not yet retired and were starting yet another work week at a company where their contributions are no longer valued, I drove the three miles to Miyagi-San's shop and dove right in. First up was the coarse sculpting of the air scoop. It's looking pretty good, and tomorrow I'll work on shaping the leading edge.
    Dec10I.jpg

A small metal guide had been riveted into the side of the lid. When I drilled out the rivet a bit of filler fell out revealing another hole; yet another example of "if you don't get it right the first time, just drill another hole" during assembly. In the photo below I've ground the area down a couple millimeters and will put a fiberglass patch over it. Later, I can redrill in the proper location. (And no, it's not a potato.)
    Dec10A.jpg

The forward edge where the two halves mated was a bit wavy, so I applied plastic filler then sanded it down to restore the hard edge. Later, when the entire seam has been covered, I'll have a better feel for where the edge should be and how to transition from curved to relatively flat sections.
    Dec10G.jpg
    Dec10H.jpg

I did the same to the back seam.
    Dec10B.jpg
    Dec10C.jpg
    Dec10D.jpg

All the while Miyagi-San's 12 year old dog, Shayna, kept watch from the comfort of the radiant floor heat.
    Dec10E.jpg
    Dec10F.jpg

Shayna looks like she could cleanup a lot of your dust.

TravelsWithBarley.com
    Quote Originally Posted by 179212 View Post
    Shayna looks like she could cleanup a lot of your dust.
    If I ever have a dog that fluffy I'll name it Swiffer!

TravelsWithBarley.com
    Arrived this morning to find yesterday's fiberglass refinishing well cured and ready to grind and sculpt. It's a messy job, and airborne fiberglass finds every opening in protective gear and ITCHES, so I taped all my cuffs and doused myself with baby powder.
    Dec11A.jpg

It looked pretty good after the excess was ground off and a couple reinforcing layers of glass cloth were added to the leading edge.
    Dec11B.jpg

Ready for a layer of plastic filler
    Dec11C.jpg

With the scoop in roughly its final form, I applied filler to the entire length. Through LOTS of sanding I'll be able to blend the side of the tub into the curve of the air scoop.
    Dec11E.jpg

The shop temp was about 54F today, so the filler didn't want to cure till I put a heat lamp on it. There was nothing to do after that but sit back and watch the plastic filler dry.
    Dec11D.jpg

Eventually it dried. I filed off the high ridges, then used a curved longboard with 80 grit sandpaper to rough sand it, carefully transitioning from one curved surface to the next. It will need more attention units, but is coming along nicely.
    Dec11F.jpg

Registered User RIDERR1150GSADV's Avatar
    I get itchy by just watching this thread...

I dislike fiberglass work just for that reason. I worked in a fiberglass shop and also spent countless hours on friend's boats putting in stringers, transoms and decks to know what it takes to do this.

Looking good so far!!
    MOA # 108516
    Current ride 2018 R1200 GSA Triple Black
    Past rides '04 R1150RT, '05 K1200LT, '06 R1150GSA, 17 R1200RT

TravelsWithBarley.com
    Dec13A.jpg
    I've been experimenting (trial and error method) with different ways of dealing with the section where the gentle curve of the back of the tub morphs into a distinct angle in front of the cutout for one of the struts connecting the bike to the subframe. Do I carry the hard angle back to the flare of the scoop? Do I carry the gentle curve forward from the scoop? I tried both ways and ended up applying more plastic fill and trying again. That's what you see in the photo.

Dec13B.jpg
    Finally I decided to try treating the section above the cutout as something unique, not trying to match either end of the tub but just rounding it and blending each end of that section to the shapes on each respective part of the tub. That seemed to work better, but I'd sanded too much off the upper curve of the air scoop so had to build that portion up again. More filler.

Dec13C.jpg
    While I reserve the right to change my mind, I think that approach works best of all. A little filler added to the inside of the scoop to eliminate the mud and bug catching irregular surface of the fiberglass which, in that cramped location, had been applied using the Braille Technique. And voila!

Dec13D.jpg
    Then on to the swingarm. I hadn't intended to do anything with this as Hannigan had recently rebuilt it to correct a manufacturing defect (no charge though the rig had 80,000 miles on it at that point - kudos to Hannigan!) but it was pretty badly pitted by road grit and portions were beginning to rust. In for a penny, in for a pound. It had to come apart and be refinished.

Question for the experts: Can the tub shock be mounted upside down as shown? Since new I noticed a loud clang whenever I went over bumps with the camber control set low. I looked all over for the source of the noise and never found it...till the rig came apart. On the swingarm, just to the right of the shock in this photo, you can see a gouge in the metal where the shock was impacting the swingarm. With the shock inverted, the long "neck" of the shock clears the swingarm but I'm not sure if that would create other problems.

Dec13E.jpg
    A trip to the parts cleaner was called for. The bearings look good but are inexpensive, so might as well replace them.

Dec13F.jpg
    Disassembled, with some parts destined for the sandblast cabinet then epoxy prime before deciding on the final finish

Registered User RIDERR1150GSADV's Avatar
    Shocks can't be mounted upside down as a general rule as it has to do with the separation of oil and gas in the upper chamber inside. However, I would ask the manufacturer of that shock if it is feasible.
    Some shocks are horizontally mounted, but I believe that are build for that application as well..
    MOA # 108516
    Current ride 2018 R1200 GSA Triple Black
    Past rides '04 R1150RT, '05 K1200LT, '06 R1150GSA, 17 R1200RT