Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Refreshing Glenlivet's ride

TravelsWithBarley.com
    A huge step forward today! All the fiberglass and plastic parts got a double coat of epoxy sealer. Paint often looks slightly different when sprayed over dissimilar surfaces. The epoxy prime seals all those pieces parts no matter what their composition, providing a uniform base for the next coating. Next comes a LOT of wet sanding with 400 grit, then two layers of high build primer, more sanding, and finally the finish coat.

FEB8B.jpg
    FEB8A.jpg

As is always the case with painting, prep work is 90% of the job. Each piece was arranged on a platform. Those that needed to be raised off the platform so all paintable surfaces could be reached required on-the-spot jigs made out of scrap lumber. Then each piece was wiped down with pre-cleaner, then a tack cloth to ensure all contaminants were removed. The cockpit and trunk of the tub were carefully masked off

FEB8E.jpg
    FEB8F.jpg

And then the spraying began. I'm not an experienced painter and this was by far my biggest project attempted. There were a few runs, especially in the recess of the air scoop which proved particularly difficult to maneuver the spray gun near, but overall I was very happy with the results. I missed a few spots on the first coat, but got them on the second. And sure enough there were several pinholes that I'd missed during the sanding process that taunted me with a vindictive "Neener, neener, neener!" I'll have to go back with polyester glaze during the next sanding phase.

FEB8G.jpg
    FEB8I.jpg

When I was done, and the paint booth was on the bake cycle, I stood outside the booth and noticed the perfect symmetry of the frontal view. It stopped me in my tracks! After all that work eliminating the recessed headlight and trim piece, the reflection off that work of art was simply stunning!

FEB8J.jpg
    Last edited by glenfiddich; 02-08-2019 at 09:24 PM.
    '18 R1200GSA for solo rides
    '12 R1200GSA with Hannigan sidecar for rides with Glenlivet
    '15 Honda CRF250L for exploring places I'm afraid to take the big GSA!
    http://travelswithbarley.com/

Nice article in the ON magazine this month on Glenlivet's ride.
    The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Rocky Bow BMW Riders #197 bogthebasher's Avatar
    Wow, it is really looking good!
    Ken Dittrick
    2008 R1200RT (Biarritz Blau)

Excuses are the rocks upon which our dreams are crushed - Tim Fargo

Really wondering if Tulliver is beginning to have some misgivings about giving up this sweet ride.
    Larry Gregerson; Bend, OR
    MOA #93031

TravelsWithBarley.com
    Quote Originally Posted by powwow View Post
    Really wondering if Tulliver is beginning to have some misgivings about giving up this sweet ride.
    The old dog truly appears to be enjoying his retirement.

There will be a break in my sidecar updates as Iím starting yet another sanding phase. While some of you appear fascinated by sanding, Iím not. Will resume updates when I get back to the exciting stuff. For the next week or so, this is my life.

Feb10A.jpg

FEB10B.jpg
    Guide coat applied over epoxy primer.

FEB10C.jpg
    Wet sanding with 400 grit removes the guide coat from good areas while highlighting pinholes and low spots. Because of my attention to detail there were no low spots, but tiny pinholes that I missed on inspection now show up like craters.

FEB10D.jpg
    Closeup view of some of the pinholes revealed by the primer. These will be filled by skimming with polyester fill (glaze), then wet sanded. When I finish the tub there are several smaller parts that need the same remediation. Finally, when all the pinholes are gone, all the parts go back into the paint booth for two coats of high build primer, more wet sanding, then the finish coats: base coat, pearl coat, and two layers of clear coat.

Oh, and let's not forget about the subframe. On the bright side, that won't require a show quality finish!

TravelsWithBarley.com
    It's been a few days of sanding so I figured I'd catch you up on my progress. After sanding the second coat of epoxy sealer and still finding pinholes I’d missed, I used an 18” LED lamp held at an angle to make the little craters more visible. That worked well, and I was able to find and fill with polyester glaze several more. With all the spot repairs, the tub reminded me of my youth when Mom dabbed calamine lotion over my chickenpox spots so I would stop scratching.

Feb19C.jpg

But thanks to that bright light I think I got them all this time. After wet sanding the repairs, they look like the photo below. Each of those white spots would have been a miniature crater in the finish coat, but with them filled with glaze they'll be undetectable under the primer. Note to self: good lighting held at an angle is essential for finding defects.

Feb19A.jpg

The parts were again wet sanded with 400 grit, then back to the paint booth for two coats of high build primer. If I manage to wet sand this (600 grit) without sanding through yet again, the next step will be paint

Feb19D.jpg

I've been pouring over paint chips from foreign and domestic auto makers. I was captivated by the Porsche Yellow Saffron Metallic, but it's proprietary. While Miyagi-San could replicate it pretty close, a four step custom paint would be extremely difficult to touch up in the event of damage from stones...which is pretty much inevitable the way I travel. I thought of solid yellows like the Millenial Yellow used on Corvettes, but I like a bit of pearl. As luck would have it, Nissan uses a really pretty Solar Flare Pearl on their 2018/19 Titans that's very close to the color I started with. Checking the formula, the shop has all the ingredients that go into it. I might lighten it up a bit, and perhaps add a bit more pearl, but it looks like that formula will be my baseline.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    If you have areas on your rig that are particularly vulnerable to paint scratches/chips, 3M makes a protective film that works great. I use in on the entrance areas such as rocker panels and door edges on my vehicles.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

TravelsWithBarley.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    If you have areas on your rig that are particularly vulnerable to paint scratches/chips, 3M makes a protective film that works great. I use in on the entrance areas such as rocker panels and door edges on my vehicles.
    OM
    I tried that once before, but the most frequent impacts are on the top of the nose in front of the windscreen...and with that hard compound angle on the leading edge I could never anchor the film enough that the wind didn't tear it off within 50 miles. The last time I used it the film ripped off and stuck to the windshield of a Toyota that had been tailgating me. While it is difficult to get a good looking repair with pearl or metallic paint, I really like the look. The original paint was a pearl and it did get damaged over the course of 7 years and 85,000 miles. Those who have seen my rig in person will remember the vinyl dog paw prints across the nose of the tub. What most don't realize is that they were placed to cover up chips in the paint caused by stone impacts. The photo below shows three of those hits completely hidden by paws.

GillyGMR2.jpg

Sanding is going well, and the tub is about done. I’ll have to go over it lightly with 600 grit again the day before the painting process begins, but in the meantime there are several smaller parts to prep. But the fun part of today’s work was painting the swaybar bright red. It fits inside a tube so will never be seen, but I’ll know it’s there and will feel good about it. Sort of like when you wear red underwear you know the day’s ride will be a fast one!

Feb20A.jpg
    Last edited by glenfiddich; 02-20-2019 at 08:50 PM.

TravelsWithBarley.com
    Banner day in Vermont! I'd done some serious pondering about paint, and in the end had to acknowledge that my sidecar is not a show piece, but rather a rig that is used hard and travels widely. So as much as I like the look of pearl and metallic paints, a solid made more sense as it would be easier to spot repair...and scratches wouldn't make me cry. Given a choice between babying a pretty rig or barreling down a narrow back road with twigs reaching out to slap me, I'd take the b ack road every time. So the color would be a solid, and I'd narrowed down the choices to two shades of yellow. Porsche Racing Yellow or Dodge Viper Yellow. (Yellow was a given as I wanted to maximize visibility to keep my dog safe.) First step was to mix a small batch of the Viper Yellow.

Feb24A.jpg

Feb24B.jpg
    It looked rather schoolbussy in the cup, but appeared to be a close match to the pictures I'd seen online. And knowing that paint "pops" once applied to a well-prepared surface, Miyagi-San convinced me to do a test spray.

Feb24C.jpg
    Still dubious at this point, but I knew that a thin coat didn't give a realistic look at what the finished product would look like. This particular formulation contained nearly 40% clear, so it would require several coats to get the full effect. And up by the nose where the coat was a bit thicker, well, it had promise.

Feb24D.jpg
    The second coat convinced me that this was the color I was looking for. Still dull, but the shine comes from the clear coat, not the base coat. So Miyagi-San applied a third coat. (While I had sprayed primer in the past, there was no way I was going to pretend to be ready to apply a perfect finish coat!)

Feb24E.jpg
    Coat three revealed the full promise of this color. I kicked back to watch the paint dry.

Feb24F.jpg

Feb24G.jpg
    The fourth coat looked magnificent! By this point I was jumping up and down grinning ear to ear! Time to change over to clear coat.

Feb24H.jpg

It looked good after two coats of clear. It looked great after three coats. And after four coats of clear I had visions of far away places with Glenlivet at my side.

Feb24I.jpg

Nice
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

You have the nicest sidecar finish ever known to man. If a commercial company ever cared this much about the quality of their product only the oligarchs could afford to buy it. Be proud.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Registered User RIDERR1150GSADV's Avatar
    Wow that is one heck of a job! Looks very nice in the pictures and I bet even better in real life!
    MOA # 108516
    Current ride 2018 R1200 GSA Triple Black
    Past rides '04 R1150RT, '05 K1200LT, '06 R1150GSA, Ď17 R1200RT

'99 '03 '06 National Co-Rally Chair Friedle's Avatar
    Looks great ! Perhaps when you are all finished you can wrap the rig in TYVEK while on the road, just un wrapping the unit while at your destination.

Friedle
    Ride fast safely

Quote Originally Posted by Friedle View Post
    Looks great ! Perhaps when you are all finished you can wrap the rig in TYVEK while on the road, just un wrapping the unit while at your destination.

Friedle
    The only thing more expensive than a concours vehicle is the truck and enclosed trailer used to haul it to its showings.

I donít think thatís going to be the case with this rig, tho. After the first paw print itís good to go!

Nice work,
    DG
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST ó 1984 R80 G/S PD ó 1993 R100GS ó 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C ó 2010 K1300GT
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

TravelsWithBarley.com
    I knew wet sanding would dull that awesome glossy finish, but there were several small blemishes that had to come out. Still, seeing that magnificent gloss reduced to dullness was rather depressing! Here is before:

Mar01B.jpg

And here is after:

Mar01A.jpg

Seeing my expression, Miyagi-San brought out several bottles of rubbing compound and polish. In just a few minutes he did a small section on the right side of the nose, just forward of the clamshell lid, to show me that with a bit more work the gloss would return...sans blemishes.