• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Refreshing Glenlivet's ride

I just discovered this thread today and spent the time (@ work) reading it with fascination.
You have done a wonderful job, but I state the obvious.

Out of curiosity, what happened to the 2010 GS which I think you referred to as the donor bike.

Out of curiosity, what happened to the 2010 GS which I think you referred to as the donor bike.

That GSA will be up for sale when we return from the rally. With all the farkles it will make someone very happy. Currently it is tucked away in a corner of the garage hooked up to a trickle charger

Pete

Just discovered and read the whole thread tonight. Thanks for the beautiful story and comments from fellow members.👍🍺

January 2020 update: One of the mistakes I made during the rebuild was that removing the holes on the trunk lid where the luggage rack mounted I fiberglassed the outside, but not the inside. Months later I noticed slight dimpling in the paint where those four holes had been. I opened the trunk and sure enough, the inside had four holes glaring at me.

LID1.jpg
LID2.jpg

Out came the grinding wheel. The area around each hole was carefully ground down about half the thickness of the lid to give the new fiberglass a fresh surface to adhere to. A drop of resin was added to each hole, then each was carefully glassed over with three layers of matting.

LID3.jpg
LID4.jpg

Once the repair had cured, the lid was flipped rightside up and masking tape was applied over the area where the luggage rack legs would touch. The positions were slightly different than the original installation as the rack had been designed to fit a flat topcase, while the trunk lid of my sidecar had a slight curve to it. Those legs had been heated with a rosebud torch and bent (carefully since they were only brazed to the rack) to the angle needed to match the curve of the lid. Center points of x and y axes were marked on the tape.

LID5.jpg

I thought about creating a template for the new mounting positions by simply applying ink to the legs and pressing it onto a large piece of paper. That might have been easier but I had another idea. I took four 6mm bolts and machined them to points. By screwing them into the threaded legs the rack assembly would become a quadruple center punch.

LID6.jpg

Perfect! Next the scratches from the Tennessee rally were buffed out of the paint, wax was applied, and the rack installed. Since Glenlivet and I will be on the road for three months this year, the extra storage space will come in handy.

LID7.jpg

See you all in Great Falls!

Pete

Back