• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

rt's usb outlet stopped working

jimbem

Coming home,on the interstate my phone went dead causing me to lose my music and ability for Sarah to know i was ok in the rain.I thought it was probably the charging cord had broken where it exited the glove box under the cover. I checked that cord and another in the house and both seem to work. So it seems my usb charging port has stopped working.Is there some way to check it? Has anyone else had trouble with theirs? Any help is appreciated

Try it today :)
The computer may have decided that you have had enough :)
Personally, not a fan of computer controlled outlets. An outlet fused direct to that battery is better for me.
Let us know what you find.
OM

Two thoughts;
  • As mentioned the CANBUS module may have shut down the port
  • The connector on the back of the bike's USB port has become disconnected

Coming home,on the interstate my phone went dead causing me to lose my music and ability for Sarah to know i was ok in the rain.I thought it was probably the charging cord had broken where it exited the glove box under the cover. I checked that cord and another in the house and both seem to work. So it seems my usb charging port has stopped working.Is there some way to check it? Has anyone else had trouble with theirs? Any help is appreciated

Sometimes (rarely) my RT will decide that I have no USB connected. If I shut off the bike, disconnect and reconnect the USB drive, and then restart the bike, it has always recognized the USB being there again. In fact, in most cases it remembers what song I was on when it last recognized that the USB was connected.

sorry it took so long to get back .I am embarrassed to say i found the problem.I plugged something else into the port and it didn't work either. So I took the right side fairing panel off and immediately saw that the wire going to the usb outlet was disconnected .While i was on the road during October I had a dealer change my air filter and anti-freeze.Apparently the tech didn't push the plug connection in all the way. A little bit of defense for the tech.I had a real hard time pushing the connection together to the point where the lock clicked. Thanks to those who took the time to respond to my post

Back