• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Reliable motorcycle transport service at a good price?

Dunno if that's an oxymoron but that's what I'm after, of course! We were victims of the Camp Fire which took our town of Paradise, California 90% off the map and we are going to move to out Colorado heading into winter. I looked into HaulBikes.com which was a recommendation for reliability but looks like around $750 one way.

Thanks in advance

Some of the threads in the Similar Threads pane below ire about transport companies. Might be worth a read.

I might be crazy but it seems to me that folks on this forum and other members and friends ought to be able to relay a bike from California to Colorado. Start spot to Reno, Reno to somewhere, somewhere to SLC, SLC to Colorado somewhere, etc. A few folks with trailers, a few hours and a few bucks each ought to do it.

Dunno if that's an oxymoron but that's what I'm after, of course! We were victims of the Camp Fire which took our town of Paradise, California 90% off the map and we are going to move to out Colorado heading into winter. I looked into HaulBikes.com which was a recommendation for reliability but looks like around $750 one way.

Thanks in advance

That’s too bad......I can’t imagine the fire or the aftermath.
I don’t know what you have left to move. Perhaps a suitable size, one way, U-Haul truck would help you.
Good luck.
OM

That’s too bad......I can’t imagine the fire or the aftermath.
I don’t know what you have left to move. Perhaps a suitable size, one way, U-Haul truck would help you.
Good luck.
OM

We have pretty much everything to move and we're pretty sold on Upack for moving our stuff out. Pods doesn't service the area but Upack is essentially the same and does service Nor Cal. Upack's trailer has a capacity of 28x8x9' or so and I think we will only need about 18-20' of that space for our house move. That Upack trailer will cost about $2100 total door to door. If the bike went in that would be killer as long as we could get it out on the other end...in potential ice and snow!

We have pretty much everything to move and we're pretty sold on Upack for moving our stuff out. Pods doesn't service the area but Upack is essentially the same and does service Nor Cal. Upack's trailer has a capacity of 28x8x9' or so and I think we will only need about 18-20' of that space for our house move. That Upack trailer will cost about $2100 total door to door. If the bike went in that would be killer as long as we could get it out on the other end...in potential ice and snow!

I did something like that when I moved to UT 32 years ago. A few days before the packing started I ran the bike dry and cleaned it thoroughly. We rented an enclosed truck and loaded in a mattress (packed in a plastic mattress bag) against the side of the box near the front. Rolled the bike in and put it on the centerstand next to the mattress, with the bars just ahead of the mattress. Covered bike with moving blankets, slid it over close to mattress, and strapped it to the wall just enough so it couldn’t fall over. Stuck another bagged mattress next to the bike and started loading in furniture. It traveled well, as did the rest of our stuff. Hardest part of the job was pushing the bike up the ramp into the truck, but I had help for that.

Good luck and best wishes for a brighter day!
DG

Sorry to hear you've been caught in that devastating fire.

If you are still in the area you might want to call the good people at Ozzie's BMW just down in Chico. They are the best BMW shop I have ever had the pleasure to visit and their people go the extra mile every time. Ask for Jesse Auer and I bet he'll have some good ideas for you.

Sorry to hear you've been caught in that devastating fire.

If you are still in the area you might want to call the good people at Ozzie's BMW just down in Chico. They are the best BMW shop I have ever had the pleasure to visit and their people go the extra mile every time. Ask for Jesse Auer and I bet he'll have some good ideas for you.

Yes I ordered my '16 from Jessee Auer and a former F800GT as well and visit w/ the folks there regularly. Just haven't been back since the fire. I hope Mike their senior mechanic made it off the ridge he lived in Paradise as well.

I guess I am confused. If you have space in the container, you should just put the bike in there. I am assuming that you can strap it down well enough that the bike will not fall over, or have other items crash into it.

You didn't state whether you are having the container delivered to your new residence, or to a common shipping point? If you are shipping to a common shipping point, and you are worried about snow and cold, you could rent a van for moving the bike to your new residence. You could also find a local member who lives by where you could store the bike for a short period of time or maybe even the entire winter. You could also look on Craig's List for places nearby that will allow you to rent space for the Winter. They usually charge between $200-300 per winter season. Or, hire someone to move the bike to your new house from the common shipping point. No matter how you look at it, the distance will be shorter, and cheaper.

I don't know how I would secure it in the end of the trailer, and plus I am going to be transporting some large woodworking tools from a friend in Chico who is unloading them, so I need the space for those.

Things are way to crazy to figure out much of anything right now anyway. As you know the town's future is uncertain and we have still not been able to get back into the house now over 3 weeks out from the fire. We really don't know enough to be able to plan much of anything yet. Could be I'll sell the bike here and buy another one when the dust clears. I don't really want to but that may be the least troublesome in the end. Right now it's sitting in a friend's garage in Chico but at some point it needs to leave there.

With HaulBikes apparently there are rates and then there are rates. There are specials and discounts if you find them (I have no idea where to look for them). A friend just shipped two bikes coast to coast for $1100, and most customers tell me they pay about $450 for a single bike partway across the country.

HEY NCP - If you know Lew and Tina C, could you please tell them that the crew from South Bay would love some updates!
Thanks,
Paul S

Back