• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Dent in front Rim

dregger098

Hi All
Looking for some advice, new member just on my trial 3 months awesome site. I purchased a 2011 R1200RT late this summer 80,000 km, my second BMW the first was a 2004 650 GS. I noticed the rim has a small dent from the previous owner. The tire does not leak and the bike does not have any noticeable vibration. Has anyone ever attempted to straighten a rim? I've read a few posts from other sites on this can be repaired. Did a quick search on here but did not see a thread that would pertain to this. Thanks for any info.

Welcome to the forum!
Woody's Wheel Works seems to be the favorite place for wheel and rim repair.
Sometimes it's good to leave cosmetic blemishes alone. Post up a picture of the spot in question if you can.
Gary

Welcome to the forum!

My rim damage was a tad more noticeable than yours sounds. And a new rim is really expensive! Good luck.

If you can post a picture of the damage it will help those offering advice. I agree with Gary's observation that sometimes just living with the dent is a smart decision. If the dent is not causing a problem, then fixing the damage may not make economic sense.

Welcome to the forum. Where are you from? You will find it beneficial to put your location and model motorcycle ridden in your profile and/or signature line.

I had a dent on both sides and visible cracks around them on an 05RT, would not hold air. If it's a minor dent, and it doesn't drive you crazy, most likely will not be an issue..as mentioned, a picture will help.
Woodys seems to be the place if you want to deal with it. A new rim is around $800 these days.

Oh, and welcome to the forum as well:wave

Wheel Repair

Dr. John's in Anaheim, Ca.
Wheel and frame.
Excellent craftsmanship.

Good luck! :wave

I just got a GS rim back from Woody's because of a dent provided by the biggest pothole in Memphis, TN. The traffic was too heavy for me to see the pothole coming and avoid it. Woody's did a great job of it.

Back