• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Oil sight glass leaking

ncbmw

I have a 2009 R1200GS and the oil is leaking from the seal around the oil sight glass. Anyone have suggestions on how to safely remove the sight glass? I have removed the retaining clip and the clear plastic portion. I am worried about damaging the area around the seal while prying it out. Any thoughts would be most appreciated. I sent a previous thread about the final drive lubrication and got some very helpful hints. I really appreciate the help. Wonderful forum!

I have a 2009 R1200GS and the oil is leaking from the seal around the oil sight glass. Anyone have suggestions on how to safely remove the sight glass? I have removed the retaining clip and the clear plastic portion. I am worried about damaging the area around the seal while prying it out. Any thoughts would be most appreciated. I sent a previous thread about the final drive lubrication and got some very helpful hints. I really appreciate the help. Wonderful forum!

I will be following your progress on this, as my 2008 RT Oil Glass is so dirty that is essentially useless. I read the links provided by others and they do not give me a warm fuzzy feeling that this is something I want to mess with. I am also confused... is it plastic or glass ? Or are there two pieces involved - one glass one plastic ?

I wonder how much the dealer would charge to put a new one in there. I change my oil quite often just so I know that the level should never get too low, but I would really like to be able to use the glass for its intended purpose.

My K75 uses the same plastic sight "glass". I burned a hole with a soldering iron and put a large sheet metal screw in the hole and used vice grips to pull sightglass out. This way there is no chance of damaging case by prying.

I’m not familiar w/ your model,but if it is the same as a K75:

When you change your oil next time.

roncooper
My K75 uses the same plastic sight "glass". I burned a hole with a soldering iron and put a large sheet metal screw in the hole and used vice grips to pull sightglass out. This way there is no chance of damaging case by prying.

Exactly!

Then clean out the seal area and find a socket to use as a drift to tap the new sight glass in. Nothing larger than the OD of the seal and only touching the exterior of the seal face, so as to not damage the metal on the engine block nor the “glass” face. Tap evenly till it seats to the bottom. I didn’t use a lubricant on the seal.

Could be the easiest repair you’ll ever do on your bike.

All of this should be confirmed by folks that have actually done this to a 2009 +- 1200 GS.

Charlie

Changed out the sight glass on a couple of 1100s

A screwdriver into the sight glass and then just rock it out. then clean the rubber grommet and gently press the new sight glass with a socket by GENITALLY tapping into the space. Gentle is the critical word here, though I would replace the rubber grommet while I was at it.

That having been said, there are other members who are far more skilled than I and I would heed their counsel.

BTW, Sight glasses often get smokey if one changes from regular motor oil to synthetic.

Best,

3hawks

To remove old Sight Glass on K75’s:

Heat a piece of wire (16 ga) with a torch, of some sort, to “red hot” and burn a hole off center, toward, but not on the edge of the “glass” (plastic). Screw a coarse thread like a Sheetrock screw in and pull one side out. If it’s leaking, it is already lubricated and takes hardly any effort to remove.

Can someone confirm this would work on a 2009 R1200 GS.

Charlie

Unless I missed mention of it, one should note that there is a circlip that keeps the sight glass thingy from popping out on its own.
I believe it's applicable to all R1200 models except some early '05s

Back