• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Cleaning a stator?

crouthier

Hi I did search but couldn't find any info (and Brooks blog didn't show this), is there a way to clean my stator? I'm replacing my rotor and my seal... the inside of my stator is soooo dirty and there are little black bits of something...can I clean the inside with something, green scrubby, solvent?
thanks Chuck

Attachments

• IMG_7598.jpg
    IMG_7598.jpg
    481.4 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_7598.JPG
    IMG_7598.JPG
    418.9 KB · Views: 193
The black duts is most likely brush residue. Since you have the stator out why not blow it off with air, then use contact cleaner to blow into crevices and dissolve deposits, along with a soft bristle brush. Don't use anything aggressive to scrub the stator, as that will cause problems.

STator

Hi I did search but couldn't find any info (and Brooks blog didn't show this), is there a way to clean my stator? I'm replacing my rotor and my seal... the inside of my stator is soooo dirty and there are little black bits of something...can I clean the inside with something, green scrubby, solvent?
thanks Chuck

Is there any real reason to clean it? It doesn't come into contact with anything.

Thanks for the responses, you are absolutely right, it's not open or exposed - but, my stator and rotor were positively filthy - I was assuming because my seal was leaking a bit? I just wiped the inside with some solvent and brushed off the black crumbs with a soft brush...Do you guys know if the brush holder comes off? I was planning on changing out the brushes while it's off. I got the connectors off and it's also held on by small nuts on the backside...

thanks Chuck

Thanks for the responses, ............... Do you guys know if the brush holder comes off? I was planning on changing out the brushes while it's off. I got the connectors off and it's also held on by small nuts on the backside...

thanks Chuck

Order a set of new brushes from Motorrad Elektrik. They are supplied with ring terminals on the ends. No soldering. Just unscrew the nut at each of the D terminals and slip the end of the brush lead on. What a pleasure.

Brush holder

Thanks for the responses, you are absolutely right, it's not open or exposed - but, my stator and rotor were positively filthy - I was assuming because my seal was leaking a bit? I just wiped the inside with some solvent and brushed off the black crumbs with a soft brush...Do you guys know if the brush holder comes off? I was planning on changing out the brushes while it's off. I got the connectors off and it's also held on by small nuts on the backside...

thanks Chuck

The brush holder does come off. Just remember that there's an insulator for one of the two brushes I believe. IOW, make sure you replace it onto the stator cover with the exact hardware that came off. And make sure you wind the springs with enough tension to keep the brushes in contact with the rotor. (don't ask me how I know) :)

Thanks for tips. I got a new rotor that came with the solder-on brushes. I can't seem to get to the nuts at the back of the brush holder...

Chuck

Chuck -

I feel your pain! A number of years ago I considered replacing my brushes, but couldn't get the inside brush holder out. I tried bending a wrench to a 90 degree position to be able to reach the nuts on the inside. That didn't work for me. I gave up before I did some harm. I decided to live with what I have and haven't had any problems. I hope to hear some other suggestions on how to do this. :wave

Yea, I'm struggling with that now and can't understand the decision to make this wear item so hard to replace! Unlike the Germans I think. It looks like you can re-solder without removing the holder, it's just harder. I think the versions with the ring terminals may be the way to go...

I've switched to ring terminal brushes on both my airheads. Getting the nuts off the inside of the stator housing is tricky. I took an inexpensive 7mm wrench bought at the bike swap meet and heated it with a MAPP gas torch red hot and then bent it about 60 to 70 degrees. This allowed me to get at the nuts. It's not a perfect solution and still a bit fiddly but you can get them off to get rid of the solder type brushes, clean up the holes and the holder and then install the ring connector ones which are easy to replace the next time.

I started off with a typical looking housing with solder type brushes:
P1020476.jpg

You have to remove the brush holder to remove the old and install the new mostly because the D- connection is so well heat sunk by the housing:
P1020478.jpg

Heat/bend a 7mm open end wrench to get this hard to reach nut off and back on again being mindful of the two fibre insulating washers and fiber spacer that prevents shorting DF to the housing. The OP's question was about cleaning the stator. This is probably bad advice but I used solvent and a soft bristle brush to clean this mess up and get it looking like so:
P1020477.jpg

And finally install the ring connector brushes on the outside of the stator housing so replacing them next time is much easier. :
P1020479.jpg

Last edited:
Great photos! yea, the ring terminals sounds like the way to go. I wasn't able to get those rear nuts off (actually got one but the other wouldn't budge). I did manage to get the old brushes off and re-solder the new ones on but next time - if there is a next time - ring terminals...

Thanks Chuck

So nice to have the pictures :thumb
OM

I've discovered late in life that I am probably a visual learner despite having my nose in technical manuals most of my adult life. I realized it one day while plowing through one of Snowbum's lengthy articles for about a half hour when I finally came across that one line gem I was looking for and thought you know.. he could have said all this with one line and a photo.

The man's depth of knowledge and dedication to documenting it for all of us is really admirable but there's one thing he could employ that would be awesome. It's called a "precis". This is the French word for precise. Grammar and writing lessons teach students how to do a precis early on. This involves taking a very lengthy chunk of text and getting it down to as few words as possible or "reducing" it if you will. Basically say exactly the same thing with the same precision but in as few words as possible. When done well, it's a thing of beauty.

Given my Irish background, a precis is genetically impossible for me sadly... but a picture is definitely worth a thousand words! Just ask anyone from Missouri! :thumb

Back