• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

drive belt longevity

I have a 2016 F800GT that just turned 25K and noticed that BMW recommends a belt replacement every 24K to the tune of $500 plus labor! This, to me, is outrageous! How can other manufacturers fit their machines with belts that last twice that long and even more and BMW cannot? I also discovered that their are NO aftermarket belt replacements on the internet. So, what gives? Has anyone used their original belt for 30K, 40K or more without failure? I would like to know because I, for one, do not intend to replace my belt every two years (12K per year) for that kind of money! Input and advice would be appreciated...

I have a 2016 F800GT that just turned 25K and noticed that BMW recommends a belt replacement every 24K to the tune of $500 plus labor! This, to me, is outrageous! How can other manufacturers fit their machines with belts that last twice that long and even more and BMW cannot? I also discovered that their are NO aftermarket belt replacements on the internet. So, what gives? Has anyone used their original belt for 30K, 40K or more without failure? I would like to know because I, for one, do not intend to replace my belt every two years (12K per year) for that kind of money! Input and advice would be appreciated...

Relax … a bit. Situation is not as dire as you initially fear. Typically, the belts last longer than the book predicts. I have over 30K on mine and no sign of wear or stress yet. I simply have the dealer tech (Engle's in KC) pay attention and check it every time I have it serviced. (No, I don't do my own wrenching.) Lots of riders on the F800Riders.org site have experiences of much longer belt life. Seems that BMW is a tad pessimistic--probably has to do with liability issues.

BTW, cruise over to F800Riders.org and read a bit. That site is (almost) exclusively for the F-bikes, and it has a more European flavor, while this site is for the BMW brand overall and is primarily US and Canadian riders. Plus, posters on this site tend to focus on the boxer engine and might "seem to ignore" the other BMW engine styles. At least one former MOA F-bike poster has had his feelings hurt by this inattention and quit his MOA membership over it. I, obviously, use both sites (about equally); this site for overall riding discussions and the F800Riders site for bike-specific discussion. They are both invaluable to me.

Good luck.

Back