• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

'09 K13GT rear suspension too low or centerstand impossible to use by normal humans?

Well, I guess the consensus is that the bike is normal. I guess that's good, but I'm still surprised at the centerstand.
I should calculate it some time, but clearly the up-and-back lifting force is a very strong function of the angle of the centerstand at the start of the lift. If the stand isn't down very far, not only is it's own leverage reduced as the bike moves back, but the torque from the rider standing on the stand extension is reduced because that is sticking up at too vertical an angle.

thanks all,
Doug

Anything bent or cracked.

You probably have already done this. Double check to make sure nothing is cracked or bent. Mine is tougher than some bikes but doable. I'm 5'10".

I have the 2008 K12GT and last season I got so exhausted trying to get it on the center stand I actually dropped the bike in the driveway and cracked the right tupperware panel:wave

When I first got the bike it was not that hard to do so it had to be something I was doing. I took apart the center stand and found the problem to be the right and left stoppers. During repeated use, the right and left stoppers had become bent and affected the center stand fulcrum.

After buying the right and left stoppers (and 2 threaded bushings which I managed to mangle during the dis-assembly process) and installing everything, the bike is much easier to get on...and off the center stand.

Took the liberty to check on MaxBMW fische and saw that the K13GT center stand components are the same as the K12GT. Best of luck.

Yes and #5 is the bushing that is easily damaged during disassembly.

Both the R and L Stoppers are relatively soft, pressed metal. It's easy to see how they bend and tear given the weight of the bike.
Every time it goes on/off the center stand there is a lot of force on the holes in the stoppers.

As I recall it was about $85 for the parts and about 2hrs for disassembly/reassembly.
Tricky parts of the job: keeping the bike stable while raising it to get the center stand off and attaching the springs after reinstalling the center stand.

I have another alternative...

My lovely wife Wanda is always with me riding pillion.

When it's time to hoist our '08 K1200GT onto the center stand, Wanda pulls back on the rear bag rack.

Heave...Ho!

And the GT is on the stand!

Truth of the matter is I believe the GT's center stand is killing my right foot.

Even so, such a great bike for two-up sport touring.

Back