Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: '09 K13GT rear suspension too low or centerstand impossible to use by normal humans?

'09 K13GT rear suspension too low or centerstand impossible to use by normal humans?

When I attempt to get my 2009 K1300GT (ESA) onto the center stand I find that the process is completely impossible using normal techniques.

Note that I have been able to put my R1100GS, R1200GS and R1200RT onto the centerstand with only the normal amount of grunting. I can only get the K13 onto the stand by driving one of the wheels onto a fairly thick block of wood (about 2.5 inches) so that the stand gets down closer to being vertical, which results in a much more advantageous lever effect.

Are they all like that, or is this bike peculiar? I have no reason to think it has been lowered, but maybe a previous owner did?

Can someone out there with a similar K13GT please send me a measurement that I can use to compare the rear suspension unladen sag with mine? The bike has only 17,000 miles, so I am hoping there isn't a problem with the ESA system.

Thanks very much for any information/thoughts.
    Doug

Set the suspension as firm as you can before shutting off the bike. It will extend the shocks and lift the frame up slightly. It may be enough.
    I have a buddy with a K1600 that does this to get it on the center stand. He can't do it with the suspension set on soft and rider only.

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by dougmck View Post
    When I attempt to get my 2009 K1300GT (ESA) onto the center stand I find that the process is completely impossible using normal techniques.
    Without knowing, my guess is the bike has been lowered. Perhaps the deflection plates which attach the shock to the dogbone have been changed. Like these....https://www.motorcycleparts-hornig.c...ering-Kit.html

Quote Originally Posted by PoorUB View Post
    Set the suspension as firm as you can before shutting off the bike. It will extend the shocks and lift the frame up slightly. It may be enough.
    I have a buddy with a K1600 that does this to get it on the center stand. He can't do it with the suspension set on soft and rider only.
    Yes, I tried that. The change in the height is pretty minimal, and certainly not enough to make this possible.

Thx, Doug

Left Coast Rider
    Doing a little more research I've found that the deflection plates on your K1300GT are the same throughout the K12/13 S, R and GT range. You want to confirm which plates are in there before you make any changes.

If you want, you could replace the plates which are now on there with these..... http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/mot...e/7650063.html. Its about a 20 minute job with simple hand tools.

IF your bike has been lowered (and we're not sure it has), these will make a significant difference. If its still stock, these plates will raise the back of the bike up about an inch.

Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post
    Doing a little more research I've found that the deflection plates on your K1300GT are the same throughout the K12/13 S, R and GT range. You want to confirm which plates are in there before you make any changes.

If you want, you could replace the plates which are now on there with these..... http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/mot...e/7650063.html. Its about a 20 minute job with simple hand tools.

IF your bike has been lowered (and we're not sure it has), these will make a significant difference. If its still stock, these plates will raise the back of the bike up about an inch.
    Thanks, that's an interesting thought. I wouldn't mind slightly quicker steering. However, at this point I'm first interested in figuring out what is going on with my bike. I don't really use the center stand a lot, I am mostly concerned about whether there's a problem with the suspension. If it has been lowered, I'd be interesting in trying it in the stock configuration. I don't have long legs, and while I could manage with it a bit higher, I'm not sure a whole lot higher would be practical. I'd probably start by going back to stock before I tried the wunderlich parts.

What's the most direct way to figure if the bike has been lowered? Would it have been done by installing aftermarket deflection plates? Maybe I can find some part numbers...

Thanks,
    Doug

it would probably heip if you would post YOUR height measurements and some pictures of the bike from the side with someone holding vertical and some of the suspension linkages.

also...how loaded with stuff is your GT? if your boxes are full of heavy stuff, it will make a significant difference in getting it on the centerstand.

my stock K1300S is super easy to put on the centerstand, your GT should be too.
    Marshall
    92 K75s, 94 K75s, 96 K1100RS (caretaker), 09 K1300s

Quote Originally Posted by mlytle View Post
    also...how loaded with stuff is your GT? if your boxes are full of heavy stuff, it will make a significant difference in getting it on the centerstand.

my stock K1300S is super easy to put on the centerstand, your GT should be too.
    Right now the top box is not on the bike, and the side cases are empty. I'll get some pictures and a measurement or two tomorrow morning.

Thanks, Doug

Left Coast Rider
    You could have a sagged out (technical term) spring but I doubt it.

Eye-to-eye measurement of the deflection plate bolt holes between the shock and the dogbone (the vertical measurement) is 65mm. Anything longer would lower your back end.

If it turns out you have lowering plates, I have a set of stock ones which I don't need.

Hate to say this, but it just takes a little muscle. Put the center stand down and stand on it while you pull up on the left handle bar and grab the passenger grab rail and pull up.
    2009 K1300 GT
    1984 Kawasaki ZX750-E1 Turbo
    1990 Kawasaki ZX600R
    2005 R1200 RT - gone

I have some more information. It's the standard BMW deflection plate (33537659821), so not lowered by these means.
    I'll attach some pics.

1. The angle the center stand makes to the ground when it's first touching (on both sides). You can see that this angle is such that it would take more than a little muscle to lift the bike onto the stand.
    2. The measurement from the top of the axle hole to the point of the case mount of about 9 7/8 inches. The spring was essentially uncompressed which I could establish by rocking the bike onto the side stand to lift the rear wheel.
    3. The side view of the bike. I blocked up the side stand so the bike was very very close to vertical.

Thoughts appreciated.
    Doug
    Attached Images Attached Images

Left Coast Rider
    How about a side picture of the bike on the centrestand? I'd like to see how much space there is between the tire and the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by dougmck View Post
    The angle the center stand makes to the ground when it's first touching (on both sides). You can see that this angle is such that it would take more than a little muscle to lift the bike onto the stand.
    Put the weight of your body on your right foot and pull up and back using the passenger grab bar. I have the same bike.
    2009 K1300 GT
    1984 Kawasaki ZX750-E1 Turbo
    1990 Kawasaki ZX600R
    2005 R1200 RT - gone

Quote Originally Posted by tonyfr View Post
    Put the weight of your body on your right foot and pull up and back using the passenger grab bar. I have the same bike.
    Yes, I can put boots on, put my entire weight on the stand, and haul up and back to no effect. I have no trouble with the 3 other large BMW's that I own or have owned.

If you have a chance, can you please check the measurement I showed to see if your bike is similar?
    Thanks
    Doug
    Currently: '09 K1300GT, '06 R1200GS (Formerly: R1100GS, F650GS, R1200RT)

using stock tire size?
    Marshall
    92 K75s, 94 K75s, 96 K1100RS (caretaker), 09 K1300s