Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: '09 K13GT rear suspension too low or centerstand impossible to use by normal humans?

Quote Originally Posted by dougmck View Post
    If you have a chance, can you please check the measurement I showed to see if your bike is similar?
    Thanks
    Doug
    Mine is the same. When I pull up with the passenger grab rail, I put my hand over the rail, not under. What is your height and weight?
    BMWMOA #62 / BMWRA #77
    2009 K1300 GT
    1984 Kawasaki ZX750-E1 Turbo
    1990 Kawasaki ZX600R

Quote Originally Posted by tonyfr View Post
    Mine is the same. When I pull up with the passenger grab rail, I put my hand over the rail, not under. What is your height and weight?
    Thanks. That's interesting. If you're also measuring ~ 10 inches then maybe my bike is normal even though the stand looks like its at a very shallow angle.
    If this is, indeed, what they're all like it's *way* harder to get on the center stand than my R bikes. I'm 5'8" and weigh 150, so I'm on the small side of average, but I'm not completely puny and I'm familiar with the technique. Interesting... I still have to check the tire is standard, once I get home.

Doug
    Currently: '09 K1300GT, '06 R1200GS (Formerly: R1100GS, F650GS, R1200RT)

Quote Originally Posted by mlytle View Post
    using stock tire size?
    Yup, 180/55-17.
    Thx,
    Doug

If this is, indeed, what they're all like it's *way* harder to get on the center stand than my R bikes.
    Remember this bike is 635 lbs. Way heavier than an R bike.
    BMWMOA #62 / BMWRA #77
    2009 K1300 GT
    1984 Kawasaki ZX750-E1 Turbo
    1990 Kawasaki ZX600R

Thanks. That's interesting. If you're also measuring ~ 10 inches then maybe my bike is normal even though the stand looks like its at a very shallow angle.
    If this is, indeed, what they're all like it's *way* harder to get on the center stand than my R bikes. I'm 5'8" and weigh 150, so I'm on the small side of average, but I'm not completely puny and I'm familiar with the technique. Interesting... I still have to check the tire is standard, once I get home.

Doug
    I have put Tony's and a few other K12/13GT's on the centerstand. Definitely harder than boxers, other than the first gen of Hexhead GS's before they changed the pivot point. I had recent hernia surgery and was reluctant the first time another member came by on his 12GT and had him help, his seems harder than most anyways for some reason.

The tire size is correct however a worn down tire compounds the effort.
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and club tire changer

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

Well, I guess the consensus is that the bike is normal. I guess that's good, but I'm still surprised at the centerstand.
    I should calculate it some time, but clearly the up-and-back lifting force is a very strong function of the angle of the centerstand at the start of the lift. If the stand isn't down very far, not only is it's own leverage reduced as the bike moves back, but the torque from the rider standing on the stand extension is reduced because that is sticking up at too vertical an angle.

thanks all,
    Doug

Anything bent or cracked.

You probably have already done this. Double check to make sure nothing is cracked or bent. Mine is tougher than some bikes but doable. I'm 5'10".
    2009 K1300GT Premium Blue
    1983 Honda 1123 CB1100F Red
    1983 Honda CB1100F Blue
    1980 Honda CBX-A Black

I have the 2008 K12GT and last season I got so exhausted trying to get it on the center stand I actually dropped the bike in the driveway and cracked the right tupperware panel

When I first got the bike it was not that hard to do so it had to be something I was doing. I took apart the center stand and found the problem to be the right and left stoppers. During repeated use, the right and left stoppers had become bent and affected the center stand fulcrum.

After buying the right and left stoppers (and 2 threaded bushings which I managed to mangle during the dis-assembly process) and installing everything, the bike is much easier to get on...and off the center stand.

Took the liberty to check on MaxBMW fische and saw that the K13GT center stand components are the same as the K12GT. Best of luck.

Number 2 and 3 are the stoppers Helga mentioned.

B0004148.png
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Yes and #5 is the bushing that is easily damaged during disassembly.

Both the R and L Stoppers are relatively soft, pressed metal. It's easy to see how they bend and tear given the weight of the bike.
    Every time it goes on/off the center stand there is a lot of force on the holes in the stoppers.

As I recall it was about $85 for the parts and about 2hrs for disassembly/reassembly.
    Tricky parts of the job: keeping the bike stable while raising it to get the center stand off and attaching the springs after reinstalling the center stand.

Mehrten
    I have another alternative...

My lovely wife Wanda is always with me riding pillion.

When it's time to hoist our '08 K1200GT onto the center stand, Wanda pulls back on the rear bag rack.

Heave...Ho!

And the GT is on the stand!

Truth of the matter is I believe the GT's center stand is killing my right foot.

Even so, such a great bike for two-up sport touring.