• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

'09 K13GT rear suspension too low or centerstand impossible to use by normal humans?

dougmck

When I attempt to get my 2009 K1300GT (ESA) onto the center stand I find that the process is completely impossible using normal techniques.

Note that I have been able to put my R1100GS, R1200GS and R1200RT onto the centerstand with only the normal amount of grunting. I can only get the K13 onto the stand by driving one of the wheels onto a fairly thick block of wood (about 2.5 inches) so that the stand gets down closer to being vertical, which results in a much more advantageous lever effect.

Are they all like that, or is this bike peculiar? I have no reason to think it has been lowered, but maybe a previous owner did?

Can someone out there with a similar K13GT please send me a measurement that I can use to compare the rear suspension unladen sag with mine? The bike has only 17,000 miles, so I am hoping there isn't a problem with the ESA system.

Thanks very much for any information/thoughts.
Doug

Set the suspension as firm as you can before shutting off the bike. It will extend the shocks and lift the frame up slightly. It may be enough.
I have a buddy with a K1600 that does this to get it on the center stand. He can't do it with the suspension set on soft and rider only.

Set the suspension as firm as you can before shutting off the bike. It will extend the shocks and lift the frame up slightly. It may be enough.
I have a buddy with a K1600 that does this to get it on the center stand. He can't do it with the suspension set on soft and rider only.

Yes, I tried that. The change in the height is pretty minimal, and certainly not enough to make this possible.

Thx, Doug

Doing a little more research I've found that the deflection plates on your K1300GT are the same throughout the K12/13 S, R and GT range. You want to confirm which plates are in there before you make any changes.

If you want, you could replace the plates which are now on there with these..... http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/motorcycle/7650063.html. Its about a 20 minute job with simple hand tools.

IF your bike has been lowered (and we're not sure it has), these will make a significant difference. If its still stock, these plates will raise the back of the bike up about an inch.

Doing a little more research I've found that the deflection plates on your K1300GT are the same throughout the K12/13 S, R and GT range. You want to confirm which plates are in there before you make any changes.

If you want, you could replace the plates which are now on there with these..... http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/motorcycle/7650063.html. Its about a 20 minute job with simple hand tools.

IF your bike has been lowered (and we're not sure it has), these will make a significant difference. If its still stock, these plates will raise the back of the bike up about an inch.

Thanks, that's an interesting thought. I wouldn't mind slightly quicker steering. However, at this point I'm first interested in figuring out what is going on with my bike. I don't really use the center stand a lot, I am mostly concerned about whether there's a problem with the suspension. If it has been lowered, I'd be interesting in trying it in the stock configuration. I don't have long legs, and while I could manage with it a bit higher, I'm not sure a whole lot higher would be practical. I'd probably start by going back to stock before I tried the wunderlich parts.

What's the most direct way to figure if the bike has been lowered? Would it have been done by installing aftermarket deflection plates? Maybe I can find some part numbers...

Thanks,
Doug

it would probably heip if you would post YOUR height measurements and some pictures of the bike from the side with someone holding vertical and some of the suspension linkages.

also...how loaded with stuff is your GT? if your boxes are full of heavy stuff, it will make a significant difference in getting it on the centerstand.

my stock K1300S is super easy to put on the centerstand, your GT should be too.

also...how loaded with stuff is your GT? if your boxes are full of heavy stuff, it will make a significant difference in getting it on the centerstand.

my stock K1300S is super easy to put on the centerstand, your GT should be too.

Right now the top box is not on the bike, and the side cases are empty. I'll get some pictures and a measurement or two tomorrow morning.

Thanks, Doug

You could have a sagged out (technical term) spring but I doubt it.

Eye-to-eye measurement of the deflection plate bolt holes between the shock and the dogbone (the vertical measurement) is 65mm. Anything longer would lower your back end.

If it turns out you have lowering plates, I have a set of stock ones which I don't need.

Hate to say this, but it just takes a little muscle. Put the center stand down and stand on it while you pull up on the left handle bar and grab the passenger grab rail and pull up.

I have some more information. It's the standard BMW deflection plate (33537659821), so not lowered by these means.
I'll attach some pics.

1. The angle the center stand makes to the ground when it's first touching (on both sides). You can see that this angle is such that it would take more than a little muscle to lift the bike onto the stand.
2. The measurement from the top of the axle hole to the point of the case mount of about 9 7/8 inches. The spring was essentially uncompressed which I could establish by rocking the bike onto the side stand to lift the rear wheel.
3. The side view of the bike. I blocked up the side stand so the bike was very very close to vertical.

Thoughts appreciated.
Doug

Attachments

• IMG_0532.JPG
    IMG_0532.JPG
    100.1 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_0533.JPG
    IMG_0533.JPG
    112.2 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_0535.png
    IMG_0535.png
    532.1 KB · Views: 84
How about a side picture of the bike on the centrestand? I'd like to see how much space there is between the tire and the ground.

The angle the center stand makes to the ground when it's first touching (on both sides). You can see that this angle is such that it would take more than a little muscle to lift the bike onto the stand.
Put the weight of your body on your right foot and pull up and back using the passenger grab bar. I have the same bike.

Put the weight of your body on your right foot and pull up and back using the passenger grab bar. I have the same bike.

Yes, I can put boots on, put my entire weight on the stand, and haul up and back to no effect. I have no trouble with the 3 other large BMW's that I own or have owned.

If you have a chance, can you please check the measurement I showed to see if your bike is similar?
Thanks
Doug

If you have a chance, can you please check the measurement I showed to see if your bike is similar?
Thanks
Doug

Mine is the same. When I pull up with the passenger grab rail, I put my hand over the rail, not under. What is your height and weight?

Mine is the same. When I pull up with the passenger grab rail, I put my hand over the rail, not under. What is your height and weight?

Thanks. That's interesting. If you're also measuring ~ 10 inches then maybe my bike is normal even though the stand looks like its at a very shallow angle.
If this is, indeed, what they're all like it's *way* harder to get on the center stand than my R bikes. I'm 5'8" and weigh 150, so I'm on the small side of average, but I'm not completely puny and I'm familiar with the technique. Interesting... I still have to check the tire is standard, once I get home.

Doug

Thanks. That's interesting. If you're also measuring ~ 10 inches then maybe my bike is normal even though the stand looks like its at a very shallow angle.
If this is, indeed, what they're all like it's *way* harder to get on the center stand than my R bikes. I'm 5'8" and weigh 150, so I'm on the small side of average, but I'm not completely puny and I'm familiar with the technique. Interesting... I still have to check the tire is standard, once I get home.

Doug

I have put Tony's and a few other K12/13GT's on the centerstand. Definitely harder than boxers, other than the first gen of Hexhead GS's before they changed the pivot point. I had recent hernia surgery and was reluctant the first time another member came by on his 12GT and had him help, his seems harder than most anyways for some reason.

The tire size is correct however a worn down tire compounds the effort.

Back